Question Space Stations with Virtual Cockpits?

Ark

Reaction score
I'm just kind of curious, has anyone made a space station with a working VC? It would be kind of cool to actually be "in" a station like you're in any of the other ships with VCs. Just seems like a natural thing for a station to have that's been lacking from the many stations I've downloaded.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I seem to remember a project being started to do create a VC and systems simulation for the ISS, but I've no idea what happened to it.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Earth Orbiting Platfom (EOP) being developed by myself, TNeo, and EscapeTom are planning on releasing the station with a VC, hopefully functional and not just static. EOP is a refueling station that will be compatable with addons such as FuelMFD cause it will really have fuel, 320t to be exact... Development is currently in the early alpha phase

Ark

Reaction score
The Earth Orbiting Platfom (EOP) being developed by myself, TNeo, and EscapeTom are planning on releasing the station with a VC, hopefully functional and not just static. EOP is a refueling station that will be compatable with addons such as FuelMFD cause it will really have fuel, 320t to be exact... Development is currently in the early alpha phase

That sounds cool, a nifty alternative to the FSS series.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
The ISSU project aims to make an ISS with a fully functioning virtual cockpit, and systems. It's still in the early stages of development, and not much has been done lately because I haven't really had enough time. But I hope to pick up the pace soon. Texturing for the first stage is almost complete. There is a link to the ISSU development thread in my sig.

Here's a few pictures of the models we intend to use:

3233715549_d258fe93c6_b.jpg

3234565884_6792f9f9d7_b.jpg

3220430887_0171b42834_b.jpg

attachment.php

attachment.php

E

ex-orbinaut

I'm just kind of curious, has anyone made a space station with a working VC? It would be kind of cool to actually be "in" a station like you're in any of the other ships with VCs. Just seems like a natural thing for a station to have that's been lacking from the many stations I've downloaded.

I am doing one. It is about 80% ready. So far it has 12 VC views of docking bay lounges and planet viewing galleries. It has also got some animations, and it autorefuels your ships when you dock. But it might, alas, not end up being merely a station, as at the moment I am (based on a suggestion to do so) adding some transfer capability. So it will be a big ship. I might upload two versions of it when the time comes; pure station & big ship.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You might also try meshing in interior rooms and textures to existing stations and then adding camera viewpoints to the .ini file. It could be a fun experiment to try over the weekend.

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
I am doing one. It is about 80% ready. So far it has 12 VC views of docking bay lounges and planet viewing galleries. It has also got some animations, and it autorefuels your ships when you dock. But it might, alas, not end up being merely a station, as at the moment I am (based on a suggestion to do so) adding some transfer capability. So it will be a big ship. I might upload two versions of it when the time comes; pure station & big ship.

Isn't autorefueling a bad idea when you have vessels like the Space Shuttle docked to it?

But apart from that, I'm really looking forward to a space station with 12(!!!) VC views and animations. Sounds awesome!

E

ex-orbinaut

Isn't autorefueling a bad idea when you have vessels like the Space Shuttle docked to it?

But apart from that, I'm really looking forward to a space station with 12(!!!) VC views and animations. Sounds awesome!

Yeah, that was one of the problems that arose early on in the testing. CTD's with the Atlantis...

One of the objectives would therefore be to put together a list of the classes that do not like autorefuelling, and exclude them specifically from the procedure. At the moment there is a special Shuttle docking port that does not autorefuel. But....

I will take this opportunity to present a small request. May I please ask that if anyone knows of any other vessels that do not like autorefuelling; please post the Name and Class of it here, and if possible the direct link to it on OHM.

Thank you in advance..

PS: If this is okay with Ark, who started this thread, of course!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
Well, IMHO it would make more sense to disable auto-refueling completely and enable it with a switch in the station's panel (2d or 3d VC) or use an MFD, like the FuelMFD for refueling vessels.

And even for more futuristic vessels like the Ravenstar or the DeltaGlider it can be more challenging to trying to reach your station dock, undock deorbit and land without refueling.

E

ex-orbinaut

Well, IMHO it would make more sense to disable auto-refueling completely and enable it with a switch in the station's panel (2d or 3d VC) or use an MFD, like the FuelMFD for refueling vessels.

And even for more futuristic vessels like the Ravenstar or the DeltaGlider it can be more challenging to trying to reach your station dock, undock deorbit and land without refueling.

Yes, it would be more realistic (and entertaining) if you actually had to do something in the station to make the refuelling happen, not just dock and - *Bang* - "your tanks are full, sir". I believe the vessel exception list would still be important, however.