Spacecraft personifications

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I recognize 東方, and that's enough to get the rest of it. ;) (Also, UFO pun ftw)

Another perfect facial expression. 'Entertained' is the best description I can think of.

No need of a safety blanket this time? She's on the ball. :cool:
(Or rather, she IS the ball, being the Sharik and all, sitting on the cone?)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well not exactly, no. I'll explain it now:
1. It reads, 東方ソ連船"Touhou Sorensen." Obviously a play off the game 東方星蓮船"Touhou Seirensen." The English pun off "Undefined Fantastic Object" is quite obvious.
2. However, ソ連 "Soren" means Soviet Union. 蓮 and 連 are written similarly and pronounced "Ren", but they mean "Lotus" and "Union" respectively.
3. 船 "Sen" in both means ship.
4. This is the obscure part. Vostok MEANS Eastern or 東方 "Touhou"- in Japanese it's CALLED Touhou.
5. All together now... 東方ソ連船=Vostok, Soviet Ship ~ Unprecedented First Orbit.

Yes, that did sound really condescending...I know you don't know though, and nobody will understand otherwise. So there. :)

---------- Post added at 00:06 ---------- Previous post was at 00:00 ----------

picture.php

だれ? :hmm:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Correct!

Even with 2 image bumps at opposite times of day, no one else answered, so I feel like everyone is actively avoidng this thread. :(
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's better than a flame war I suppose. Hopefully as the art improves the popularity will also improve, or at least become tolerable. I've experienced this change in action before.

Meanwhile here's some bad art of the Delta-Starliner G42.
Forgive me, Moach, as I may never be able to capture her true beauty. There is something aesthetically pleasing about the contrast of curves and edges that captivates me. Yes, my design will certainly change to better fit the impression. :hail:
picture.php

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, this thread is sort of just you and I, with the occasional visitor...But, as you said, it's better than them coming here and hating on us.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll consider that a request! :thumbup:

I'm amazed that that's all you needed! Can you give me the DNA?

Also, here's the G42 so far:

G42 Starliner

• Helpful, offers to carry payloads
  • Flexible, can take off from any sufficiently long concrete runway and fly to her launch point
  • Gentle reentry- dives rather than cannonballs
  • The odd one out, and the "new kid" (especially to XR2)
  • Accepts suggestions well (I know from experience :))
  • Open and not secretive at all (open source)
  • She's Brazilian. She's used to having people messing with her. :lol::shifty:
  • Favourite joystick: Saitek X52 Pro+Saitek Pro Pedals
  • Favourite book: Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (I'm just guessing from her name here)
  • Good singer?*
* From the dev thread:

Moach, are you a sci-fi fan, or anything notable you are a freak about? What game are you working on right now? Not to :probe: or anything, but I think it might help to know a bit more about the developer. As they say, like father like daughter... :)

Wow!... i'm at a loss of words... :tiphat:
i just read throught the whole thread and i'm still not sure i get it...:rofl: awesome art anyways!:thumbup:

great description BTW! Douglas Adams Rocks!:cheers:
i love how you mention the G42's reentry pattern as "diving rather than cannonballing":lol: that's right on!

as for my singing, you be the judge -Here's a link to my former band's myspace page (i'm the one in the middle with a goofy look)

cheerz!:cheers: very awesome thread!:10sign:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow! Moach, you rock!:RnR1:
And I commend you for actually reading the whole thread, I understand it's 7+ pages per forum default? For anyone who wants to see all my pictures though, they're all in this album. So far the only others have been ar81's awesome Superwoman-XR2 and mc_'s SCRAM doors.

The diving reentry is in contrast to XR2's blazing fast reentry, which might be depicted as a cannonball (not necessarily of course, but this is the usual method).
I think that character-wise, G42 might be XR2's foil. Can you imagine this? If they were a [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manzai"]Manzai[/ame] Conbi, I think XR2 would be boke and G42 would be tsukkomi. XR2 is over-the-top and ridiculous, while G42 is more sane. (And no offense meant here, it should be very obvious by now that I love Ravenstar for who she is.)
Someone please help me explain this relationship better!
Or if you can't imagine this, tell me. (The relationship, not the personification. You should at least be able to handle that.)
An Orbiter M-1 Grand Prix like this would be awesome actually, but I'm not that funny!

Also, as kind of a teaser, what do you think of when you imagine a festival? I just had my American Independence Day fun, and Canada day was recently.
But when I think of festivals, I can't help but also think of hanabi, uchiwa, yukata, and such things. And of course, some kind of alcohol, that's a global thing. The summer heat only adds to my delusions.
Like the delusion that these spacecraft are mecha girls, and that this thread is like my personal blog or something and I can just post about random festivals. (But trust me though, it's not random ;))
cheerz :cheers:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I imagine festivals, I think of hiding myself under a bunch of pillows and sleeping. :goodnight:

If there absolutely has to be something Japanese about it, then I'd do it under a kotatsu. Those things ROCK. :lol:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Don't burn yourself under there. :lol:

Latest picture is XR2 wearing White Angel...I don't know.
picture.php

There's a number of fails I made in this design, but they shouldn't be too noticable. If anything, you'll notice the all the engineering problems first.

The White Angel skin would make a nice Kimono pattern...wow, even I never expected to be thinking of these kind of things. :lol:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Don't know why the image is so messed up.
Here it is again, smaller and attached.

Attachments

• xr2mm20b.jpg
    xr2mm20b.jpg
    287.4 KB · Views: 52

BlueRose

⑨rbinaut
Reaction score
Well I flippin' failed on Inkscape, I apparently can vector someone else's work, but making originals? PFFT. :thumbsdown:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I noticed the nice job you did on the Satori skin...
Any yukata-wearing XR-2s on the way? :lol:

Seriously though, you could make a fine skin package out of the artwork so far.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Probably would have been better off posting this here:
By the way, did you notice something else about the name?
picture.php

I didn't even realize the flag thing until after the skin was done! I just thought a round flag looked cool! It was Koishi I swear.

I was thinking of making a skin for the XR2, but so far no suitable pictures have been finished to that point. I don't think I have everything in place right now, since we are out of a vector artist if BlueRose disappears again. (please don't!)
And yes, the killrot picture did have colour, but it was heavily simplified (and kind of a ripoff). I couldn't do a full shot in Photoshop- see the blurred image from before.
Don't worry though, we will make it happen, somehow! :hail::probe:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wait, which one is Killrot? I searched back through the thread and could only find ominous foreshadowings to it which I had somehow missed before.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You know, the one with RCS exhaust coming out of her head:
picture.php

Watch your Hydrazine there! You'll blow up the hangar like that! :lol: