Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.2 with Dragon DM-1 - NET 2017

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Article: https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2016/06/spacex-progress-human-missions-dragonfalcon-9/

SpaceX image of the first test article undergoing testing:

13490683_10157596001580131_4807156825388485054_o.jpg

In 2017, Crew Dragon, the crew-carrying version of the upgraded Dragon 2 spacecraft, will restore the United States’ capability to fly humans to orbit.

The backbone of Dragon 2 is a metallic welded pressure vessel. SpaceX has completed manufacturing of the first two pressure vessels to be used for ground testing, and is currently manufacturing two Crew Dragon flight articles. The pressure vessel is the primary structure of the spacecraft that protects astronauts during ascent, while in outer space, and during entry and landing to provide a safe and controlled environment in which to travel and work.

Here is a picture of the first test article undergoing structural load testing. This demonstrates the spacecraft’s ability to withstand the tremendous forces it’s exposed to during space flight.

When we transport astronauts on Crew Dragon to the International Space Station next year, it will be within one of these pressure vessels that over the coming months will turn into a fully functional spacecraft

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
I take it these are just preliminary ideas at the mo, but if they intend to follow that plan...Let me do it again... :lol:

Too many side engines.. not a good idea.
2016-06-22-233131-350x220.jpg

I wouldn't wear that space suite in space, even if you paid me a gazillion bucks
2016-06-23-002311-350x300.jpg

That will be enough for one day. ;)

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Too many side engines - Redundancy and rather place them underneath and closer together in pairs, to reduce pitching moments with imbalance or failure.

Pressure Suit - Looks more like a fashion statement than a practical application - it has no radiation protection (and that's just the beginning ;) )

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Too many side engines - Redundancy and rather place them underneath and closer together in pairs, to reduce pitching moments with imbalance or failure.

Pressure Suit - Looks more like a fashion statement than a practical application - it has no radiation protection (and that's just the beginning ;) )
No need for radiation protection in a pressure suit. It's meant for cabin depressurization situations during ascent and entry, very much like the shuttle Advanced Crew Escape Suit (ACES) and its predecessor the Launch Entry Suit (LES). It's bulkiness came from the need to provide survival equipment in the event of a bailout over water. It was equipped with a life-raft as well Emergency O2 System (EOS) and an automatic parachute deployment system.

No need for any of this in a capsule.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

They are already mounted in pairs and they are not mounted axial symmetric, but actually mirrored. Placing them underneath means you need holes in the heat shield or an expandable heat shield - not everyone thinks this is better.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
Even so.. that neck section will expand and either pop off the nauts head or take off his head ?

Heat shield:
- If descending into an atmosphere, it has merit... but you're still looking at failures that would create imbalance (a drogue chute would maybe help here)

- With no atmosphere descents I'd have a main central engine, plus smaller mirrored off-centres for backup.

- I'd go with a 'jettisionable' heatshield with a central engine + backup off centre engines + chutes. We have no means to do repeated descents with one heatshield (AFAIK) so there's no point in designing for it at the moment. ?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Even so.. that neck section will expand and either pop off the nauts head or take off his head ?

No, it will just be released at the collar, by the look of it. Looks like neck and helmet are one integrated element.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Talking about sudden decompression - that whole suite is going to go 'funny' ?

What do you mean with funny? Have you even bothered researching how for example the old Russian pressure suits are like? Or the lightweight pressure suit developed for Gemini 7?

Lovell_pre-launch_gemini_7.jpg

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Talking about sudden decompression - that whole suite is going to go 'funny' ?

If you hurry you might convince them to test the suit before they fly it! :leaving:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Too many side engines.. not a good idea.
2016-06-22-233131-350x220.jpg
No, it's an awesome idea. An epically brilliant idea.

Side engines are a necessity for several reasons. A center mounted rocket through the heat shield is a non-starter because you unfortunately have an unpressurized trunk full of cargo and a second stage full of propellant below you. The abort thrust must be diverted to the sides. This is why all previous manned rockets utilize an escape tower with tractor rockets.

The reason you have so many is for control redundancy. If one rocket in a quadrant fails you can isolate the opposing rocket and still proceed to a controlled landing.

Why these rockets need to be on the side instead of on a tower is because SpaceX deliberately is getting away from the disposable escape tower. If you have to haul a rocket big enough to abort the mission with you all the way to orbit, it is far better to actually use those rockets for another purpose once launch goes well. This abort system also serves as a mechanism for powered landing on bodies with negligible atmospheres like the moon or Mars, and maybe even back to Earth.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
If you hurry you might convince them to test the suit before they fly it! :leaving:
You have a point.. ;)

Sorry been away.. work is taking up my time :)

Urwumpe: Notice how that suite in the picture is completely different to the one SpaceX is 'displaying on the fashion ramp'. Apples and oranges ?

edt: The zip makes me wonder :hello:

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
edt: The zip makes me wonder :hello:

You should look how the Sokol (Soyuz) suit works. It's sealed up using a piece of string. :)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The A7L suit had zippers too (3 of them). I'll agree it does look like SpaceX is wanting to put fashion equal to function, but this suit isn't for EVA so maybe they are just looking for something easy, functional and comfortabl(ish?).
It's still yet to be rigorously tested, so the final look of the suits may not look anything like what they've got now.

Col_Klonk

Reaction score
The A7L suit had zippers too (3 of them). I'll agree it does look like SpaceX is wanting to put fashion equal to function, but this suit isn't for EVA so maybe they are just looking for something easy, functional and comfortabl(ish?).
It's still yet to be rigorously tested, so the final look of the suits may not look anything like what they've got now.
This is what I think, it's probably a prototype, as 'mentioned' in my first post.

I still don't like zips on a pressure suite though, string ties are a different story but better than zips, as far as I'm concerned ;)
:)

Edt: I've worn wetsuits for 25+ years and when the zip fails it goes completely and you sh.t. At least with string ties you can knot 'failsafes' on each notch.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This is what I think, it's probably a prototype, as 'mentioned' in my first post.

I still don't like zips on a pressure suite though, string ties are a different story but better than zips, as far as I'm concerned ;)
:)

Be lucky that it is not magnetic tape seals. :lol: