Project SpaceX SuperHeavy

Jeremyxxx

Reaction score
This looks like a fun modular scenario that BrianJ would have to cook up in the case of a Crew Starship being developed.

ncc1701

Reaction score
Hi,
lots of interesting ideas and info here (y)
However, I can't even keep up with what's happening at Boca Chica in real life! I watch the video feeds from there with increasing incredulity - it's quite epic. So I'm plodding on with what I can do. As ever, if anyone else wants to use/modify my stuff for their own ideas, go ahead (just try not to overwrite my OH add-on files with new/modified files).
Anyhow, I've done a little cosmetic work on the Starship (heatshield needs more work and canards are going to change, I know):
View attachment 26459
And the booster now has 29 engines and no reentry burn for RTLS:
View attachment 26460
And I have a working "proof of concept" Mechazila ;-)
View attachment 26461
Lots more work needs to be done even to get this working well (still have trouble with the "catch" if Orbiter wind effects enabled, booster engine shutdown bug needs fixing, mechazilla arm catch sequence needs tweaking, etc.etc.etc.)
Hope I can put at least a "clunky" operational version on OH soon.
Cheers,
Brian

P.S. Does anyone know of an example of Orbiter's oapiGetWaveDrag function I can look at? Is it even applicable where aerofoils have been defined already? (I still worry that the booster drag is way off - it hits the atmosphere hard at 20km!)

P.P.S I still haven't made much progress with the Starship reentry autopilot. If anyone has any good ideas how to do that, let me know!
That's epic! When u release this new starship&booster with mechazilla add-on files?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Updated on OH: v.211022

Now with added Mechazilla! ;-)
No Re-entry burn for Booster
Grid fins not stowable
29 engines on Booster
Some small mesh and texture changes

Don't forget to enable "Catch" mode on your Tower after launch ;-)
Tower will track and attempt to catch any vessel with attachment point ID "ARM", within 1km range.

Booster autopilot can just about handle "wind effects" during catch - most of the time.
Upper stage landing autopilot is rarely accurate enough even with no wind effects.

Booster still has RCS engines at top, used to reorient stage just before and after Boostback burn.
What are SpaceX doing about booster RCS?

Still no reentry autopilot for Tanker, many bugs to be fixed, etc.
ASDS still included, but not used in test scenarios.

Old scenarios may not be compatible with new version - may be sensible to delete old scenarios folder before installing.

Have fun :)
BrianJ

diogom

Reaction score
What are SpaceX doing about booster RCS?
I believe last we heard (Tim Dodd's tour with Elon I think), if the plan hasn't changed already, they're just going to vent hot gas from the tank(s) for rotation. Thinking seems to be since they're going to have to vent anyway (boil-off from the cryo propellants), this way they save on some complexity. So even if it's not a proper thruster, it'll still act as RCS, just weaker.

Based on this pic by Nic Ansuini, I highlighted what might be those vents, not sure if their positioning adds up though:
1634938654046.png

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I believe last we heard (Tim Dodd's tour with Elon I think), if the plan hasn't changed already, they're just going to vent hot gas from the tank(s) for rotation. Thinking seems to be since they're going to have to vent anyway (boil-off from the cryo propellants), this way they save on some complexity. So even if it's not a proper thruster, it'll still act as RCS, just weaker.

Based on this pic by Nic Ansuini, I highlighted what might be those vents, not sure if their positioning adds up though:
Thanks! I'm not sure about the position of the vents though, either. Would make more sense to me to have them at either top or bottom for max torque - but we'll see eventually :)
Cheers,
Brian
P.S. Back to work on the upper stage reentry autopilot problem now!

Spaceuser

Reaction score
Hi Brian,
I have been following what is happening in Starbase for a long time and I would like to point out some inaccuracies in your Starship / SuperHeavy project

1.Venting
Depress.png
This is depress vent. It is used after tests to dump the fuel and is not used before launch or static fire.

B3 detank.png
This is SuperHeavy Booster 3 depress vent after Static fire test. it was in July this year

2. QD-Arm
Ship QD.png
QD-Arm that is located on the integration tower needed for the starship and not for the booster, also, her second part looks a little different.

Ship QD true.jpg
Ship QD-arm

Booster also has its own QD-arm. This is located on the launch mount.
Booster QD.png

Otherwise this is a great addon and one of my favorites in Orbiter.
Good luck, keep up the good work

Last edited:

MexSpace

Reaction score
excellent work BrianJ, as always your addons are the best, there are still things to improve, but you are doing very well, congratulations.
I sent you a message in a new conversation, I hope you can help me

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks!
@Spaceuser - I haven't paid much attention to the LOX vents. You can turn them off from the BC_TOWER controls if desired. QDA arm seems like it has another section added since my last look. Would make sense if QDA attaches to Starship aft. More work on launch mount on to-do list.
Cheers,
Brian

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Yeah seeing a launch tower grab a booster is one of the most wild things I've honestly ever seen in this sim o_Oo_O

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Cool! Is that still part of the SpaceX plan?

Spaceuser

Reaction score
Cool! Is that still part of the SpaceX plan?

At the moment, according to the information I have, Starship project on the LC-39A has been mothballed, but information has recently been received about a possible expansion of the SLC-40 site. Maybe they'll move Starship there.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
At the moment, according to the information I have, Starship project on the LC-39A has been mothballed, but information has recently been received about a possible expansion of the SLC-40 site. Maybe they'll move Starship there.

Starship LC-39A is 100% going to happen. Elon confirmed that recently. The SLC-40 stuff was just conjecture based on bad info, IMHO.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Starship LC-39A is 100% going to happen. Elon confirmed that recently.
Unfortunately, the LC-39A lease to SpaceX is going to end in 2034 (according to my calculation), and after that, their only Starship launch site in the US will be Boca Chica Starbase, Texas. Even if the "Starship Earth to Earth" concept ever get fruition, then most airport authorities all around the world will protest on using their airports as orbital launch sites for Starship.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Unfortunately, the LC-39A lease to SpaceX is going to end in 2034 (according to my calculation), and after that, their only Starship launch site in the US will be Boca Chica, Texas. Even if the "Starship Earth to Earth" concept ever get fruition, then most airport authorities all around the world will protest on using their airports as orbital launch sites for Starship.

That lease can and will easily be renewed. NASA isn't going to suddenly pull the rug out on SpaceX's only facility where they can presently launch their crew. If I had to guess, Starship HLS will launch from LC-39.