Request SSTO VTOVL

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
It's a classic, a true old-school vessel without bells and whistles.
And we still don't have one for Orbiter.
Two I know of:

[nomedia="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1882"]SASSTO v1.0[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3521"]NLSSTO[/nomedia]

On the NLSSTO I cheated a little and used the deployed landing gear to cause aerodynamic drag to provide stability on ascent for the first 8km of altitude. Of course that means that you shouldn't deploy landing gear until the last 100ft when landing.

Edit: also killrot during launch and landing in atmosphere.

Last edited:

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
There is another...

Way, WAY back when, my very first attempt at coding was a VTOVL SSTO. It was based off DeltaGlider code (which wasn't a very good choice), it was for Orbiter 2003, and it hasn't been updated since.
It used main and hover engines to provide two engine sets, but they were both aligned as "hover" thrusters. That is, altitude hold would work, and visibility was good, but prograde, etc would not work.
I didn't like it, and never finished it.

Still, if it's really your interest, you might want to take a look, and I'd like comments.

http://sputnik.freehomepage.com/Sims/Orbiter/Kankoh-Maru%200.5.zip

Eagle

Reaction score
Still, if it's really your interest, you might want to take a look, and I'd like comments.

http://sputnik.freehomepage.com/Sims/Orbiter/Kankoh-Maru 0.5.zip
Speaking of Sputnik's addon's the World of 2001 has the Ares and original Russian Gagarin. But these craft use NTRs as opposed to pure chemical. (AresII and Gagarin-M can launch to LEO from Earth if you fly right.)

But really the coolest thing is the Gagarin's use of a bubble cockpit on the side that rotates 120 degrees to give a nice view when landing.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Would be interesting to take a look, but i'm getting "You do not have permission to access this page or file" each time trying to download.

Aargh. Not again.

Try this, then.

Attachments

• Kankoh-Maru 0.5.zip
    522.8 KB · Views: 13

mc_

Reaction score
Made some flight tests... yeah, delta glider code wasn't good idea. Even if a "glider" is flying back to front :lol:

Btw, it needs automatic throttle-back when acceleration exceeds some preset level (happens when fuel is low).

Also, it looks like some kind of a "launch to LEO" autopilot (simply taken from any launcher) would be nice for this kind of vessels.

Eagle

Reaction score
Also, it looks like some kind of a "launch to LEO" autopilot (simply taken from any launcher) would be nice for this kind of vessels.
I've found there's not much benefit in going above 30m/s². Part of that is that you need your ship time to obtain the necessary altitude. Unless you are doing a 2 stage burn to get your apoapsis high, and a second to circularize.

Also, you need to watch your drag while in atmosphere. There's to much sense in wasting fuel for even more drag. So don't go crazy on the throttle under at altitudes under 8km.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Made some flight tests... yeah, delta glider code wasn't good idea. Even if a "glider" is flying back to front :lol:

Btw, it needs automatic throttle-back when acceleration exceeds some preset level (happens when fuel is low).

Well, it was a learning experience.

A proper treatment would rotate the whole mesh 90 degrees and chop off the nose so that an optional cargo fairing is possible. And use mostly SASSTO code for the entry ballistics and throttleback and ascent autopilot, with a 90-degree rotated viewpoint similar to the Gagarin, but fixed. (And, 90 degrees).

Someday.

mjessick

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"The Rocket Company" DH-1 two stage VTOVL
[nomedia="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2193"]The Rocket Company DH-1[/nomedia]

http://www.orbithangar.com/addonpics/DH-1.jpg

Interesting vertical first stage manned VTOVL, followed by a mostly horizontal second stage with a parafoil landing. Per the book, IIRC, early versions used the simple profile with manual flight to cut costs.

Last edited:

mc_

Reaction score
A proper treatment would rotate the whole mesh 90 degrees and chop off the nose so that an optional cargo fairing is possible. And use mostly SASSTO code for the entry ballistics and throttleback and ascent autopilot, with a 90-degree rotated viewpoint similar to the Gagarin, but fixed. (And, 90 degrees).
It's sad, but i can't code C++ at all, and VTOVL is supposed to be a bit complex vessel... So, have to wait for someone to build it :-(

SSTO VTOVL with a DGIV/XR-level detail and features (bells, whistles, etc) is only a dream for now...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"The Rocket Company" DH-1 two stage VTOVL
The Rocket Company DH-1

http://www.orbithangar.com/addonpics/DH-1.jpg

Interesting vertical first stage manned VTOVL, followed by a mostly horizontal second stage with a parafoil landing. Per the book, IIRC, early versions used the simple profile with manual flight to cut costs.

That looks similar in concept to the parafoil version of the Gemini capsule which never got to fly, but it's not SSTO or vertical landing. Unless maybe the code is useful for VTOVL?

santy86

Reaction score
Hi,
I read recently about a quite interesting approach to SSTO, the AVATAR being developed by ISRO. Maybe the idea of an aerobic vehicle which separates oxygen from the air and stores it for later usage could be used for any other type of vehicle as well, not limiting this principle only to the AVATAR.

Here there is a page about it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avatar_(rocket)

mc_

Reaction score
I don't think it's realistic to get LOX from air in flight.
But we can use, for example, an engine with two fuel modes: LH2+air (with air intakes open) and then LH2+LOX (same engine, but air intakes closed). Anyway, this will require two fuel tanks (like XR2). Even if the first tanks will be full of LH2, we still won't be able to use them in orbit (as we have LH2 and LOX in second tanks, but don't have any LOX to burn LH2 in first tank). So, flight becomes more complex...

I think, for the first time it will be enough to use a simply rocket engines. And then, if the concept of SSTO VTOVL will alive in the Orbiter community, more complex and different vessels will appear (like we have a DGIV, XR, etc, based on a default Delta Glider).

Anyway, the best VTOVL i saw in Orbiter is still only on a single picture (see post #17). Hope it will fly someday, and we'll have more things to discuss practically, not like just an abstract opinions.

Last edited:

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It will fly someday ;)

I've been working on it off and on over the last few days.

S3VTOVL02.jpg

I stretched the middle section to fit cargo bays that would hold two UCGO containers (16 total), RCS system, and started to add map coordinates and textures. I'm pretty happy how she is turning out for the amount of time I've put in...but then again this is the easy part :)

The bay doors are not textured yet, but will have radiators inside and appropriate textures outside. The nose cone isn't textured yet either, but I kind of like the color so I might just texture it up that way :) The nose cone will flip to the side to reveal the docking port. I think it needs some deploy-able solar arrays also. I'll need to figure out where to stick them that will not require a big mesh/mapping/texture rework.

I'll be posting a build thread in the near future.

mc_

Reaction score
:hail::probe: !

16 UCGO boxes? It's even more than enough for anything (UCGO deployable base, mini rover and many other cool things), but whait is the maximum payload mass (i mean "maximum payload for launch to LEO")? Some UCGO boxes are pretty heavy.
And what is the engine Isp? Is there a side hatch for crew, ladder, windows? etc, etc...

RCS groups looks nice, but having a payload bay in front of in may cause a problem (on RCS retro burn, for example).
I think it needs some deploy-able solar arrays also. I'll need to figure out where to stick them that will not require a big mesh/mapping/texture rework.
Maybe, place them inside of two opposite cargo bays?
Btw, IMHO it also needs a deploy-able long-range parabolic antenna:yes:

P.S.: such beauty must have a name...

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Is that meant to be an accurate Phoenix SSTO? Because if so, I have some suggestions.

If not, well and good.

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It will fly someday ;)

S3VTOVL02.jpg

I stretched the middle section to fit cargo bays that would hold two UCGO containers (16 total), RCS system, and started to add map coordinates and textures. I'm pretty happy how she is turning out for the amount of time I've put in...but then again this is the easy part :)

The bay doors are not textured yet, but will have radiators inside and appropriate textures outside. The nose cone isn't textured yet either, but I kind of like the color so I might just texture it up that way :) The nose cone will flip to the side to reveal the docking port. I think it needs some deploy-able solar arrays also. I'll need to figure out where to stick them that will not require a big mesh/mapping/texture rework.

I'll be posting a build thread in the near future.

That looks beautiful. Good job.

Eagle

Reaction score
It will fly someday ;)

Ooh, its coming along nicely. Like others I have a small concern about the available payload mass, but keep going!

Oh, kind of a minor thought. It would be very '50s to put an extending crane/davit above a cargo bay. There's nothing cooler than being able to winch your own cargo up and down when landed. Its a bit less practical if you have lots of cargo doors though. And the coding to slide the attachment points with the animation can be a bit trying.