SSTO Waverider Concept

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I am curious how this will handle on reentry.
AFAIK such designs where never meant for it, but have to withstand extensive athospheric flight.
I envision it flying back in the athmosphere without any high AOAs. Maybe something like a one orbit aerobrake reentry...

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Well, the flat wedge nose it not optimised for re-entry at all.. it would probably use a shallow re-entry angle, heating it for longer but with a lower max temperature. the idea i think is to pass the heat to the upper surfaces. Usually re-entry surfaces are quite blunt, this is obviously very sharp in comparision but the large size of the vehicle i think would help also advanced materials (whatever might be better than RCC, if there is anything more heat resistant?) and active cooling would be important

spaceranger

Reaction score
Wow, yeah, come to think of it, that little narrow wedge nose is going to get dang hot, more so than the other parts of the craft, right? Maybe you'll end up with a snub nose after all, once you get through the re-entry. ;^}~

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
I think you would call it an ablative nose. Probably would be a practical solution in fact, just let it burn away to a more rounded shape, or even discard it for re-entry. of course that nose is going to get pretty hot on the ascent anyway.

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
(whatever might be better than RCC, if there is anything more heat resistant?)

One of the big technologies the X-33 was meant to test was a metallic TPS. IIRC it was slightly heavier than RCC but much stronger and more heat resistant. There are more than a few papers in the NTRS just search for X-33 and Metallic TPS. IIRC the leading edges on the X-43 were tungsten.

There is also some work on trying to form an electromagnetic blunt body to force plasma around the body without ever touching (but I don't know of any experiments so far, just lots of talk and calculations). Mark that one in the active-TPS-but-woefully-far-fetched column...

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Sounds like the reason given why all those greebly spaceships in starwars can survive re-entry, a forcefield. thats pretty cool, i didn't know there was even a reasonable sounding concept for that, far-fetched though it may be.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score
You know, you could just have the user go in at a very, very shallow angle, and slowly reduce air speed...

Alternatively, if the nose is going to burn off, it's obviously not going to be a re-useable spacecraft. Why not have the majority of the craft peel away before re-entry and just have a capsule thing in it's place? ;)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Thanks, those were pretty interesting with some nice closeup reference pics of the leading edges and other components of the x43 that were good to look at.

spcefrk

AeroEng
Donator
Reaction score
No prob. Can't wait to fly this thing! One of these days I'll pick your brain on how you made this. I've got some ideas I'd love to make in Orbiter but no developed skills to do so.

If I come across anything else I think you could find useful I'll drop it in here. I've got about everything there is on lifting bodies, but not so much yet on waveriders or X-43 style hypersonics.

Just a couple of thoughts (feel free to ignore them :)) :
I'd be concerned about ithe shape and location of your vertical stabs. I'm not really sure why they have a sharp tip? It just seems like an unnecessary complexity. The other problem you might encounter in reality is that at even a relatively low angle of attack (like 5 degrees or so), you'll get a pretty large region of turbulent air behind the body (which could make it unstable in yaw and maybe roll). The X-30 design avoided this by not allowing the top of the fuselage to curve back down before the verticals. If you push the vertical as far outboard as possible on the extensions of the body you might get away with it. The other way to get around it is to give the verticals a little toe-in angle which would force even turbulent air to conform a little to the flow around the vertical (but that'll give you some drag penalty). Another solution is to shape the body to provide laminar flow but all that will do is widen the range of safe angles of attack.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
No prob. Can't wait to fly this thing! One of these days I'll pick your brain on how you made this. I've got some ideas I'd love to make in Orbiter but no developed skills to do so.

Just get yourself some 3d software - blender is free and packs all the features you might want, but i don't use it myself, or if you can afford it, max or maya are the usual game content creation tools used by games companies and do everything you might want, at a price. It's not that hard once you get the basics down, helps if you have an 'eye' for these types of things or a traditional art background but it's not essential. There's plenty of communities that will help you like at CGtalk, or Scifi-meshes.
If I come across anything else I think you could find useful I'll drop it in here. I've got about everything there is on lifting bodies, but not so much yet on waveriders or X-43 style hypersonics.

Yeah cool, there isn't really that much out there.. which is good in a way because it lets you be a little more flexible with the look of the craft.

Just a couple of thoughts (feel free to ignore them :))

Not at all, i appreciate the input from someone who seems to understand the subject, thanks.

:
I'd be concerned about ithe shape and location of your vertical stabs. I'm not really sure why they have a sharp tip? It just seems like an unnecessary complexity.

Why is a sharp tip more complex than any other shape...? I just thought they looked cool like that really. In all honesty theyre sections of the main wing, copied and adjusted so the sharp tip angle is the same as the main wingtip.

The other problem you might encounter in reality is that at even a relatively low angle of attack (like 5 degrees or so), you'll get a pretty large region of turbulent air behind the body (which could make it unstable in yaw and maybe roll). The X-30 design avoided this by not allowing the top of the fuselage to curve back down before the verticals. If you push the vertical as far outboard as possible on the extensions of the body you might get away with it. The other way to get around it is to give the verticals a little toe-in angle which would force even turbulent air to conform a little to the flow around the vertical (but that'll give you some drag penalty). Another solution is to shape the body to provide laminar flow but all that will do is widen the range of safe angles of attack.

Thats interesting, i hadn't considered that, so because the tail slopes down the angle of the airflow is too steep when the nose is up, causing the airflow to become detached, which i guess makes the vertical fins useless? The fins actually have a couple of degrees toe in, but thats more random accident/looks than actual design choice.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Further evolution... Still deliberately keeping the shape unrefined at this point incase i want to make more big changes. The payload bay is not as deep as it should be, the back is lacking definition. Note the aft blisters which are a nod to the shuttle orbiter. The payload bay is now constant in section and the whole back curve has been removed.

Attachments

• waverider_10.jpg
    waverider_10.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 76
  • waverider_11.jpg
    waverider_11.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 43
  • waverider_12.jpg
    waverider_12.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 48

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
It looks much more high speed now. Like it will only fly when going really fast. I like it!
The back now kinda reminds me of the bat mobile :D

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
This one:
batmobile_side_view.jpg

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hopa, I never realized she was going to be that freaking big! :blink:

Is it only due to perspective that she looks bigger than the XR5? anyways, she's at least comparable. :speakcool: