Not open for further replies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now you understand why they don't actively promote the in-development versions. :p

Because of the "You have to fix the bugs yourself"-clause? :cheers:

Seriously: I would really like to have nightly builds and such stuff. but we are a handful of developers, who usually do one small change per month, except during the holidays, when everything explodes in activity.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Time for a new release.:shrug:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Time for a new release.:shrug:

Would be good to have, but I don't think I will do active programming towards one, I just plan to get ready to branch off the SSU version trunk, so I can ruin all of the DPS without stopping the rest of the team from doing regular updates of the other stuff by committing things. Since my computer gets more and more unreliable because of age, I don't want to lose a lot of work by committing only every other month when the damage to the rest of the add-on is just painful.

Before we can release anything, we would need to do a feature freeze. And then the question is, which features we currently have, that need to be included in the next release. How much of the ground infrastructure stuff can be finished in reasonable time? Can we do anything useful of the Ku band antenna already? What is the state of the SSME TVC activity past MECO? Do the propellant dumps work properly?

Especially critical: How much work does the manual need and how long would it take to finish for a next release? No new release without adequate documentation.

Also, how much time would you need for optimizing the SSU VC meshes, like we had been discussing some months ago, so we can kick the slow texture painting overboard?

My current plan was to let the rest of the developers have their peace with my DPS plans, branch off the trunk so I don't disturb there, and get the computers into a useful state until the end of the year. If you can wait for the next release in January, the DPS could be ready enough to be merged with the trunk. But I somehow doubt you might like to wait that long.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What is the state of the SSME TVC activity past MECO? Do the propellant dumps work properly?
The only SSME TVC activity post-MECO is SSME stow. For the post-landing SSME REPO, we need the DPS. And we currently do not have any of the post-MECO prop dumps.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The only SSME TVC activity post-MECO is SSME stow. For the post-landing SSME REPO, we need the DPS. And we currently do not have any of the post-MECO prop dumps.

Do we need this then in the next release or can it wait?

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
The main SSU manual is coming along. If we can figure out exactly what would be in the release (and in what capacity) then that would help me make quicker progress. For a release in the near future, I don't see the systems becoming too complex so that section of the manual will actualy go fairly quickly (although I yet to start on it).

Last edited:

Poscik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do we need this then in the next release or can it wait?

Better to have rather fully functional re-entry autopilot. I mentioned GlideslopeMFD earlier.

SiameseCat: it is LGPL license, so no worries with it. Here is the evidence ;)
[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2763"]Glideslope[/ame]

redneck

Reaction score
We commit what compiles, but that doesn't mean it is finished or bug free. (and more often than not, I committed something that didn't even do that...)

We should be using tags for having stable versions memorized, but then, we are too few developers for this making sense, since nobody really bothers about such formal stuff like the release strategy or development roadmap...we have some sort of creative anarchy here. Not always optimal, but then, better than nothing. Also it works, since this small group of developers usually manages to remain coordinated well enough.

I prefer telling people what we have done, instead of telling them what they should do in their free time.
Thanks Urwumpe.. I was mistaken in how the sourceforge/commit thing works. I just wanted to try it out. No worries I'll just wait until some kind of alpha/beta release :cheers:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No running releases -> no bugreps -> no feedback. There was a short story by Jack London (IIRC) about a husband and a wife who wanted to preserve the freshness of their feelings and never had children etc. One day they woke up complete strangers and went their separate ways...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No running releases -> no bugreps -> no feedback. There was a short story by Jack London (IIRC) about a husband and a wife who wanted to preserve the freshness of their feelings and never had children etc. One day they woke up complete strangers and went their separate ways...

No public releases is no sign of no testing happening. We simply don't want to bother too often with people who regard a forum as "write only memory" - you can still get SSU and use it. and if you can use it that way, you have already passed the first intelligence test and are obviously not completely inapt. So you will find better bugs as just failing to install it. There is just no official stable release yet since 1.25.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
You have to pull it off Sourceforge, something I am failing to do spectacularly right now...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Where can i download this? the links are broken
As it was mentioned a couple of times, version 1.25 isn't available for download any more. However, since people still click at links in the opening post, it has been edited.

You have to pull it off Sourceforge, something I am failing to do spectacularly right now...
There are only 2 things to do to get it, and you don't even need an SVN client for that, just click on links in your browser:
  1. Download rev. 1135 modules pack (zip) and rev. 1135 data files (tar.gz)
  2. Extract both archives to your Orbiter (you need an archiver that supports extracting tar archives compressed with gzip)
This way you have SSU for Orbiter 2010-P1. To download version 1.25 for Orbiter 2006-P1 this way, you'd need to find revision number used to compile it (if there is), and compile the modules yourself, but then you additionally need Visual Studio.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
As it was mentioned a couple of times, version 1.25 isn't available for download any more. However, since people still click at links in the opening post, it has been edited.

There are only 2 things to do to get it, and you don't even need an SVN client for that, just click on links in your browser:
  1. Download rev. 1135 modules pack (zip) and rev. 1135 data files (tar.gz)
  2. Extract both archives to your Orbiter (you need an archiver that supports extracting tar archives compressed with gzip)
This way you have SSU for Orbiter 2010-P1. To download version 1.25 for Orbiter 2006-P1 this way, you'd need to find revision number used to compile it (if there is), and compile the modules yourself, but then you additionally need Visual Studio.
Way to scare em' off with the last option. :thumbup:

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A new set of modules (corresponding to Rev. 1203) is on sourceforge.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I didn't want to post this on the developers thread, but is anyone aware that when the autopilot is programmed for a straight east flight (ie, STS-125), about 4 minutes in the shuttle starts spinning out of control, then flys out of the solar system, then crashes? I also had this problem on the last release of SSU, and I was wondering if this was something being worked on, or if it was unknown at the time. Works perfectly on a 51.6 inclination.

ionif

NASA
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a problem with OBSS.
scaled.php

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.