Star Wars Force Awakens [Spoiler thread]

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I can live with the bad physics and coincidence. This is Star Wars, after all.

None of the original films rely on this incredible chain of coincidences (i'm not sure about the prequels). And... OK for the bad physics, but... bad logic?
Starkiller base is simply a nonsense.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
None of the original films rely on this incredible chain of coincidences (i'm not sure about the prequels). And...
Exactly this. Things which may arguably have been coincidences in the other movies (Qui-Gon walking into Watto's shop and discovering Anakin, for example) don't seem excessive because it doesn't all randomly tie into things we've seen before. If JJ Abrams had been left in charge of that example, Anakin would've been Qui-Gon's long-lost nephew, Watto would've been a childhood friend of Obi-Wan's, the hyperdrive motivator they ended up purchasing would've been a spare part from a ship Qui-Gon owned when he was younger (and the republic credits he attempted to purchase it with would've been the actual physical credits that he received for selling it), and one of the random soldiers with them would've been the guy who originally developed and released the plans for how to kitbuild C-3PO. It's just excessive.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I don't see how Han finding the Falcon was that much of an "incredible" coincidence. He said in the movie, "Did you think finding the Falcon was an accident? You were screaming your transponder signal. If we can find you the First Order can find you" or something like that. It would be a huge and obnoxious coincidence had Han been on a mission for the Resistance when he stumbled across the Falcon but it's clear, at least from my perspective watching the movie, that Han and Chewie spent their free time looking for it and they knew what general region of the galaxy it probably was in.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I don't see how Han finding the Falcon was that much of an "incredible"
coincidence.

Remind that the space is BIG. Solo could have been very far in that moment.

And for the other coincidences? :)

Lmoy

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I didn't enjoy the movie. I went into it really wanting to enjoy it, but by the end was bored and just begging for the damn thing to end. It's just a rehash of A New Hope, almost scene-for-scene in places, far past the point of a reference or callback. It's literally the same story, but bogged down in nostalgia and numerous unnecessary plot threads. It's never explained why finding Luke is so important, beyond a nebulous "balance in the force". This contrasts A New Hope, where the Death Star plans stored on R2-D2 are vital to the Rebellion's plans to blow up the Death Star. Without this important point linking the plans to the main threat of the movie, the Death Star Mk. III seems more like an annoying obstacle to the Resistance on their all-important quest to invite Luke to their birthday party than the ultimate weapon of mass destruction portrayed in A New Hope.

There were a few good parts, such as where Rey learns to use force suggestion to get out of her imprisonment, and the lightsaber fight at the end was intense (if a bit drawn out, and only possible because Kylo Ren is the most incompetent dark jedi we've seen in the series so far), but overall I left the theatre wishing I'd have saved my $16 and stayed home to just watch A New Hope again instead.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

And for the other coincidences? :)

Since when has space ever been big in a SW movie? Or a JJ movie?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't see how Han finding the Falcon was that much of an "incredible" coincidence. He said in the movie, "Did you think finding the Falcon was an accident? You were screaming your transponder signal. If we can find you the First Order can find you" or something like that. It would be a huge and obnoxious coincidence had Han been on a mission for the Resistance when he stumbled across the Falcon but it's clear, at least from my perspective watching the movie, that Han and Chewie spent their free time looking for it and they knew what general region of the galaxy it probably was in.
Somehow, the First Order, despite having a star destroyer parked overhead, failed to notice or care that a light freighter which had just blasted its way out of their target area and taken out a couple of their fighters has left the area.

The Falcon had just left Jakku, and hadn't gone to lightspeed yet, so it was still rather close to Jakku.

Just minutes later, Han shows up. Even if they had been in the next system over and heard a transponder signal, it should've taken them longer than that to get to them. Also apparently the First Order doesn't notice or care that some big freighter is picking up that light freighter which escaped from them.

When told the Falcon had been on Jakku, Han acts surprised that it was there, even though they must basically still be in orbit of Jakku at this point, and apparently Han must've been waiting over Jakku for them in order for this to make any sense.

Also, somehow Finn (who's been living with First Order equipment his whole life) thinks that Han's freighter is a First Order ship capturing them.

The sad part is, this scene could make SO MUCH MORE sense with only a small change and not much more screen time. The Falcon heads for space, pursued by a handful of fighters. The star destroyer is approaching, they need to go to hyperspace now and can't wait to calculate new coordinates. Conveniently, there's a set of coordinates already in the navicomputer, so they jump at the last second.

A few (in-universe) hours later, they come tumbling out of hyperspace, and something's broken and leaking and they have to fix it before they can jump again. Now Han and Chewie show up. Bam. Everything makes sense. Han and Chewie got the transponder signal (either telling them where the ship would be going, or they'd locked the navicomputer to only be able to go to that one place, or hell, maybe even it was a two-way thing (Falcon contacted them when it booted up, they remotely locked it to those coordinates). This is now my headcanon for that scene, next time I see the movie.

All the other movies made space seem pretty big. Vastly different systems separated by significant amounts of travel time, and you sure as hell couldn't see "the entire republic" getting destroyed from some watering hole elsewhere in the galaxy.

It's not a SW thing, it's a JJ thing. The man should not be allowed anywhere near space movies ever again.

But, apparently, the unwashed masses are largely too dumb to realize what's wrong with the movie, which is why it has a 95% on Rotten Tomatoes. If no one else beats me to it, maybe I'll have to make an hour-long review (a la the RLM prequel reviews, but without the weird interlude scenes) talking about all the problems.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score

Oh and since JJ has demonstrated all his ignorance in Star Trek, and was (apparently) forgiven, it's all right now?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com

And planets are really big, yet Luke somehow managed to land within walking distance of Yoda's hut. This isn't exactly a first for Star Wars.

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And planets are really big, yet Luke somehow managed to land within walking distance of Yoda's hut. This isn't exactly a first for Star Wars.

yep, but I think that the point is that 30 years ago that was ok, today public is more aware of space and less inclined to accept such kind of inaccuracies. The prequels were quite realistic at this and had all the politics part.

I remember that watching the moment in which Palpatine took the power at the senate gave me the feeling of watching an historic moment, even if it was just a movie.

this is totally absent in this movie. My hope resides within the fact that also the New Hope and The Phantom Menace were the least likeable in their trilogies.

And anyway I cannot talk bad about SW, I'm just too fan to talk bad. And when I see around people that say "I'm tired of this Star Wars thing, I don't care, stop bothering me" I just become more fan of this :lol:

K_Jameson

Reaction score

Luke was in search for signs of settlements and/or specific life forms (with on board sensors, I guess). It states to have found something, short before the crash landing.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

I do suspect that Ray may be a Skywalker

Prequel states that Jedi knights cannot marry or have children...

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
According to Star Wars lore it is the Force guiding people that causes so-called coincidences. Obi-Wan summed it up:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The Force has guided even Finn, Solo, BB8 or the current Falcon's owner?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I suppose we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. :tiphat::tiphat:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, Han did say something like "You think we're the only ones that have been tracking this thing?"

:ninja:'d bu Kyle

Since the Falcon had been stolen, I figure Han and Chewie have been chasing it across the systems?

Anyway, they're are problems aplenty with the movie. I won't go into them, but just keep repeating to yourself "At least it wasn't Michael Bay, At least it wasn't Michael Bay, At least it wasn't Michael Bay"

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The enthusiastic reviews and the extremely high ratio on Rotten Tomatoes has surprised me.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Luke was in search for signs of settlements and/or specific life forms (with on board sensors, I guess). It states to have found something, short before the crash landing.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Prequel states that Jedi knights cannot marry or have children...

Doesn't mean the new Jedi have to keep the same rules though. In the expanded universe stuff, the new Jedi order does not prohibit marriage (note: most of this comes from 3rd party sources, I have read only 2 books of EU material, and neither is from after the battle of Endor). Whether the current canon will include such, remains to be seen.