Star Wars Rogue One [spoiler thread]

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Certainly differs from the "canon" put forth in the 1990s LucasArts game X-Wing, where the Death Star is shown using a moon for its first target practice; the moon that had been mined out for metal to construct the Death Star with.

Later in the game another planet is also vaporized prior to Alderaan, IIRC.

In this movie Vader says that the shot on Jedah City was to be covered up as a mining accident.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Which reminds me of what I saw on Reddit this morning...

kj87l.jpg

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The only other big negative for me was what I thought of as an overuse of the superlaser.
Evil overlord rule 40.
I will be neither chivalrous nor sporting. If I have an unstoppable superweapon, I will use it as early and as often as possible instead of keeping it in reserve.

---------- Post added at 15:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Yeah, that one was a bit annoying. They should definitely have transmitted the plans to Leias ship waiting somewhere nearby but save while they were boarded. Would have made a lot more sense in all respects.
Hm, it might actually make sense.
How would Vader know where the plans actually were?

What if he didn't know anything more than something was transmitted towards the big ship.
Then, he boards it and starts making his way through the rebels, not really aware that the plans were right in front of him.
Once Leia's ship gets away, he and his team searches the rest of the ship, finds that the plans are not in the main computer, realize that the plans must have been transmitted to the small ship, and give chase.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Yes, the continuity is perfect.
Actually gives more urgency to the entire getting the plans to Obiwan / returning them to the Alliance.

And it makes some room for the deleted Luke footage from A New Hope, where he is watching the battle through binoculars and then learns about the rebellion from his friend.

In fact, this works very well directly after Rogue One's ending:
https://youtu.be/gMxAYhzqC3A?t=31s
(from 0:30 to 5:42)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Once Leia's ship gets away, he and his team searches the rest of the ship, finds that the plans are not in the main computer, realize that the plans must have been transmitted to the small ship, and give chase.

Being chased in the aftermath of a battle would make her protests to be on a diplomatic mission appear extremely lame, though... :shifty:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Being chased in the aftermath of a battle would make her protests to be on a diplomatic mission appear extremely lame, though... :shifty:

Vader does immediately call her out on her BS though.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Saw it yesterday, really liked how it tied directly to the start of the original 1977 film. And it did a good job of putting the "war" in "Star Wars."

But CGI Tarkin wasn't too convincing.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If only the Empire had tasked an Interdictor (recently canonized in Rebels) to the battle there, they could've totally wiped out the Rebel fleet...

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another thing that bugs me slightly, 3PO and R2 were clearly on Yavin 4 while the fleet was departing. Did they make time to get them up to the Tantive IV before the entire fleet left? Or did the Tantive IV stop at Yavin IV first (which I can't believe since that's kind of most of the plot of ANH).

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another thing that bugs me slightly, 3PO and R2 were clearly on Yavin 4 while the fleet was departing. Did they make time to get them up to the Tantive IV before the entire fleet left? Or did the Tantive IV stop at Yavin IV first (which I can't believe since that's kind of most of the plot of ANH).
Just like Force Awakens, they were too busy trying to add easter eggs to consider whether they actually made sense for the story.

But, both of them belonged to Captain Antilles, the captain of the Tantive IV, before they were stolen by Jawas, so it's fairly conceivable that they rejoined the Tantive IV at some point before heading to the battle...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did they make time to get them up to the Tantive IV before the entire fleet left?

Going on Bailes words, it seems that Leia at least made it there in the interim, so they might have traveled together.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
- On a related note, I kind of wished they'd had some explanation for why they had extra fighters but not enough pilots in A New Hope...

I was under the impression that some of the men that boarded the stolen shuttle were pilots who volunteered. From some of the prequels and sequels, it's clear all of the rebel pilots are at least armed, if not trained. If they were pilots, then the entirety of them being wiped out on the beach by the death star would explain the mismatched number of ships to pilots.

I've only just watched it this evening, so this is just a top-of-my-head explanation. I need time to process the whole movie. As it stands now, I give it a 3.5 out of 5 Rebel Insignias. Better than The Force Awakens in my book, but not by much. Tarkin was just too...fake-looking, as was Leia. The battle scenes were ok. I did like the direct tie-in to A New Hope at the end, but as others have said, having the plans directly handed to the ships crew was a stretch. Sure, it added suspense as Vader approached the crew member carrying the disk, but that scene lasted about 15-20 seconds longer than it needed to.

And I agree, why the hell didn't Vader just stop that ship with The Force? Maybe he was still weak and recovering from his run-in with Obi-Wan, and the loss of Padme.

I'm probably the only one of my long-time Star Wars geek friends in my age group that was underwhelmed. Everyone I personally know that has seen it has been singing its praises all weekend, and since I hold all of their opinions on the matter in high regard, I went in with high hopes. I don't feel like my hopes were rewarded, no matter if rebellions are built on hope or not.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
*SNIP*

And I agree, why the hell didn't Vader just stop that ship with The Force? Maybe he was still weak and recovering from his run-in with Obi-Wan, and the loss of Padme.
*SNIP*
Um, not to nitpick your opinion, but the latter takes place after this, and the former took place 19 years before this.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is the time between Ep3, Ep3.5(Rouge One) and Ep4 known at this time?
E3=19 years BBY (Before Battle of Yavin, ANH DS1 battle, Luke&Leia born and Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader)
R1=0 years BBY (Ends where ANH begins)
E4=0 years BBY (BBY happens at the end)
E5=5 years ABY (After Battle of Yavin)
E6=6 years ABY (Only one year passes between E5 and E6)
E7=36 years ABY (E6+30 years)
E8=Unknown, it might pick up right where E7 ended with Luke and Rey on Achtoo but this is pure speculation at this point.
E9=Unknown

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
E3=19 years BBY (Before Battle of Yavin, ANH DS1 battle, Luke&Leia born and Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader)
R1=0 years BBY (Ends where ANH begins)
E4=0 years BBY (BBY happens at the end)
E5=5 years ABY (After Battle of Yavin)
E6=6 years ABY (Only one year passes between E5 and E6)
E7=36 years ABY (E6+30 years)
E8=Unknown, it might pick up right where E7 ended with Luke and Rey on Achtoo but this is pure speculation at this point.
E9=Unknown
Episodes V and VI are 3 and 4 ABY, respectively. VII is 34.

and as I looked it up, the name of that planet is Ahch-To.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Um, not to nitpick your opinion, but the latter takes place after this, and the former took place 19 years before this.

Wrong battle with Obi Wan. I'm referring to the one where Anakin got his handed to him and sustained the injuries that led to him becoming the half droid Sith Lord we all know and love.

But you are correct, 19 years has passed during which the Death Star was constructed, so I'm incorrect in that assumption which was off the top of my head anyway. It had been a long day at work and I was tired when I went to watch it, so my thinking may have been a bit clouded. I'm going to go watch it again next Monday afternoon. I might have a little better opinion of it watching it with a clearer mind, maybe a bit worse, we'll see.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
But you are correct, 19 years has passed during which the Death Star was constructed...

(Puts on nerd glasses)
Actually the Death Star started as a republic weapon in response to officials thinking that the Separatists were building there own and construction started shortly after the battle of Geonosis.

The timing of the construction has changed slightly in canon after publication of the novel 'Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel'. A book I highly recommend as is really fleshes out the Erso's and Orson Krennic.

(Takes Glasses off, can't see the screen to click post, puts glasses back on)

Last edited: