Star Wars Rogue One [spoiler thread]

Raven

Reaction score
Haven't seen it yet, but spoilers don't bother me. Just one thing I want to know: Does the movie mention Kyle Katarn, Jan Ors, or the Moldy Crow at all?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
(Puts on nerd glasses)
Actually the Death Star started as a republic weapon in response to officials thinking that the Separatists were building there own and construction started shortly after the battle of Geonosis.

The timing of the construction has changed slightly in canon after publication of the novel 'Catalyst: A Rogue One Novel'. A book I highly recommend as is really fleshes out the Erso's and Orson Krennic.

(Takes Glasses off, can't see the screen to click post, puts glasses back on)

I already mentioned the other alternate history of the Death Star's construction from the X-Wing game. That said:

If I don't see it in a movie, it's not canon.

And even then, if I don't like the particular movie I might choose to ignore it. For example, in my mind Jar Jar Binks is just a fairy tale monster told to scare little children on Tatooine. :)

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
If I don't see it in a movie, it's not canon

What ever works for you.

Just know that Lucas Film considers all published media (movies, books, comics, some games, but not anything they have labeled as "legends") as canon and can/will impact any of the movies.

Personally, I have never read any of the SW books until Catalyst. I had seen several reviews for both it and the movie before it came out and decided to take the plunge. It was a great read (only took a couple days to get through) and sitting in the theater it felt like I had already spent a movies worth of time with some of the characters in Rogue One.

Granted, any important info revealed in Catalyst could have easily be disseminated in an opening crawl.... but that's a different discussion.

If you only watch the movies expect to be left in the dark to some details as Lucas Film moves forward. They continually have story group meetings so that all story lines are connected and consistent in canon.

They will of course never make the books mandatory reading for the movies, but they have proven with Rogue One that they are not afraid to leave out some of the details in the movies. :tiphat:

And even then, if I don't like the particular movie I might choose to ignore it. For example, in my mind Jar Jar Binks is just a fairy tale monster told to scare little children on Tatooine.

While I agree, the awful truth is that episode 1 (2, and 3) are canon. Ignored or not.:shrug:

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I watched it again yesterday with a friend who is also a huge fan of the series, someone I consider a "purist" in terms of canon, if you will. He's read most if not all of the books covering the time frame of Rogue One, and was very impressed with the film. After the film we debriefed, as we often do, and I let him share his thoughts first. He actually thought the Tarkin animation was done well, at least to the point that it didn't really pull him out of being immersed in the movie. We discussed the R2D2/C3PO being on Yavin and somehow getting onto Leia's ship. We haven't been able to "reason out" that hole just yet.

I do have to say at least part of my initial opinion was due in part to having had a long day at work before watching it. It also helped hearing the reactions of a full theater this time, as opposed to the 10 or so people that I watched it with last week. All-in-all I think it's a great movie, and my having only found 2 or 3 personal nitpicks to me is phenomenal.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In general, I liked Rogue 1, but the nitpick I have with it is that there were too many original trilogy callbacks in Episode 7, and not enough in Rogue 1. It would have made more sense if the troopers accompanying Krennic in the opening scene had been in standard Stormtrooper uniform (or, given that it was set a decade or two before the rest of the film, maybe prequel clone trooper uniform). It would have made more sense if his shuttle in scenes after the opening scene were a Lambda class. It would have made more sense if the new TIE models seen during the surface battle were an already known type instead (like a TIE interceptor, or even an assault gunboat). And in Episode 7, it would have made more sense if the stormtroopers had a different uniform than what was seen in the original trilogy. It would have made more sense if the TIE fighter they made their escape on were not visually identical to the original TIE fighter, yet inexplicably possessed of features that fans had long known that it never had (an extra seat and turret guns). Even if we consider the sources that our original information on the TF came from to be completely decanonicalized, they're still more consistent with the original trilogy than episode 7 is on this point (the original trilogy TF, as shown on screen in combat with X-wings, is too small for more than one crew member, and was never shown to fire on any bearing but straight ahead, even when being chased). An entirely new design, or, if they really wanted to call back to the original trilogy, a TIE bomber (which we never see in direct combat in Empire, just bombarding asteroids), would have worked better.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Just got home from seeing Rogue One -- loved it!!! Did anyone else catch the reference by Bail Organa (Leia's stepfather) to Ahsoka Tano? I'm going from memory here, but it was an exchange between Bail Organa and one of the rebel leaders on Yavin. Bail said he had to return home to Alderaan, and the rebel leader said something like, "We sure could use some help from that Jedi friend of yours." To which Bail Organa replied, "She served me well during the Clone Wars...I'll summon her." (emphasis added) In the animated series "The Clone Wars", as well as "Star Wars: Rebels", Ahsoka Tano is shown alongside Bail Organa in several episodes, so I don't know what other female Jedi he could have been referring to. So now I'm wondering if Disney is planning to make a Star Wars movie with Ahsoka in it. I'm a big Ahsoka fan, so I would love that. :)

Beyond that, it was cool to see Vader kicking ass on the Alliance cruiser. :cool: To answer the question earlier in this thread about why Vader didn't just "grab the plans" from the fleeing solders, he had his hands pretty full deflecting all those blaster bolts and carving up the 20 rebel solders in his way. Sith are not all-powerful and can't just Force-grab 20 people all at once while simultaneously deflecting multiple blaster bolts. Plus Vader was probably out of practice from sitting on his cushy Star Destroyer binge-watching HBO for weeks at a time. :p

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just got home from seeing Rogue One -- loved it!!! Did anyone else catch the reference by Bail Organa (Leia's stepfather) to Ahsoka Tano? I'm going from memory here, but it was an exchange between Bail Organa and one of the rebel leaders on Yavin. Bail said he had to return home to Alderaan, and the rebel leader said something like, "We sure could use some help from that Jedi friend of yours." To which Bail Organa replied, "She served me well during the Clone Wars...I'll summon her." (emphasis added) In the animated series "The Clone Wars", as well as "Star Wars: Rebels", Ahsoka Tano is shown alongside Bail Organa in several episodes, so I don't know what other female Jedi he could have been referring to. So now I'm wondering if Disney is planning to make a Star Wars movie with Ahsoka in it. I'm a big Ahsoka fan, so I would love that. :)

I thought he was talking about who he was going to send to find Obi Wan: his adopted daughter Leia.

Beyond that, it was cool to see Vader kicking ass on the Alliance cruiser. :cool: To answer the question earlier in this thread about why Vader didn't just "grab the plans" from the fleeing solders, he had his hands pretty full deflecting all those blaster bolts and carving up the 20 rebel solders in his way. Sith are not all-powerful and can't just Force-grab 20 people all at once while simultaneously deflecting multiple blaster bolts. Plus Vader was probably out of practice from sitting on his cushy Star Destroyer binge-watching HBO for weeks at a time. :p

My take is that Vader didn't realize the disk with the plans was right in front of him when he entered that compartment. He just knew it was around here somewhere, and these Rebel scum are in his way. By the end of his rampage when he saw that guy by the jammed hatch did he know he was getting really close.

BTW, I think that poor guy by the jammed hatch screaming for help gets my greatest sympathy and respect. Locked in a room with a 7-foot-tall black clad light sabre-wielding murder machine and the hatch has to jam now? Worst luck ever! And then he and his buddies, knowing they have almost no chance to survive, stand up and try to fight anyway, because the Rebels are courageous heroes, just like they were in Episode IV. Despite their anonymity, we loved them for it.

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I quite enjoyed it - much more so than Force Awakens. Vader's dad-tier pun was pretty much the crowning moment of 2016 for me.

There's no need to list every niggle here, but what comes to mind:
- The psychic tentacle demon scene added pretty much nothing to the film. It served no purpose other than to show what a jerk the guy with the sleep apnea machine was, and the pilot snapped out of his 'brain damage' instantly after being spoken to in his cell. It's almost like it was part of a removed subplot that was accidentally left in.
- When the Rebel pilots were leaving to help Rogue One get the Death Star plans offworld, a guy says "may the Force be with you" over the loudspeaker. Am I wrong, or is that not a thing until after the Battle of Yavin?
- Like many of you have said, Digital Tarkin really bothered me - 100% inside uncanny valley. He may as well have been this guy. I didn't find Leia quite as bad, but she was also on the screen for only a few seconds.

Finally, there were too many cool things for me to easily list here. The visuals were super cool, the plot was pretty okay, the characters mostly get a pass from me, the nostalgia was definitely there but the movie didn't ride solely on it, etc.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
He may as well have been this guy.

:blink::WTF:

To be honest, I didn't spend enough time focusing on Tarkin's face to really notice too much. Just enough to note that he is a bit creepier than I remembered, which I am okay with since he is a giant creep to begin with.

But that video you linked to, wow...and following suggested vids on the side of that page leads even farther down the rabbit hole of insanity.

Like.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Happy to be of service. :tiphat:

Yes, perhaps it's not that bad; it's not like I was vomiting in the theatre. Could have been worse. They could have exhumed him for a reprise.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
- When the Rebel pilots were leaving to help Rogue One get the Death Star plans offworld, a guy says "may the Force be with you" over the loudspeaker. Am I wrong, or is that not a thing until after the Battle of Yavin?

No, General Dodonna makes the same invocation when dismissing the pilots from the briefing for the Battle of Yavin in Ep. IV.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Speaking of, I'd thought for a minute that they CGI's General Dodonna as well, but it's Barristan Selmy.

Well not actually Barristan Selmy, but the guy who played him Ian McElhinney.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did anyone else catch the reference by Bail Organa (Leia's stepfather) to Ahsoka Tano?

Since I haven't watched Rebels, that went completely over my head. I assumed they were talking about Obi-Wan, and my brain must have filtered out the female pronoun as a result.

I'm a big Ahsoka fan, so I would love that.

Dito.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Bail Organa was talking about Kenobi when referencing his 'jedi friend' and the person he would trust with his life is Leia. As far as I know, Lucas Film has not reviled if Ahsoka survived her encounter with Vader at the end of Rebels Season 2.

APDAF

Reaction score
They had a Hammerhead <3

I loved it!

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Unfortunately, it definitely seems that Mon Mothma and Bail are talking about Obi Wan, and the "her" in "I would trust her with my life" is referring to using Leia as the messenger to get to Obi Wan.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just saw it again, this time in 3D. It holds up. This time I paid more attention to little details people pointed out, like the blue milk in Erso's kitchen.

It's also the first SW movie I've seen twice in the theater since Return of the Jedi.