Star Wars: The Last Jedi (SPOILERS)

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Yes, Rogue Squadron did get stood up later. Michael Stackpole did a fantastic series of novels in the Expanded Universe (Disney, you shall pry that material from my cold, dead fingers and over the bodies of your entire creative team, thank you very much) dealing exclusively with Rogue Squadron.
It was stood up in the aftermath of Endor and the Bakura incident to provide a squadron capable of pulling off missions no other unit could, both in space supremacy and in dirt-side infiltrations and spec ops. Wedge was indeed their commander for some time, before being tasked to lead another, more shadowy unit aimed at more covert missions, deeper in hostile space (Wraith Squadron). After the successful launch of both units, Ackbar chained Wedge to a desk for a while before giving him a starship command.

Wedge never forgave Ackbar for that, btw, and would sneak off to run cargo missions to Luke's academy on Yavin IV whenever he could get away for a few days.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Oooh, found something that explains the bombers...

... the MG-100 Starfortress pushes its payload out of its containment rack with “sequenced electromagnetic plates,” and the proton bombs then are “drawn magnetically to their unfortunate targets.”

SCIENCE! :lol:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
MG-100 Starfortress

B-17s in Spaaaaaaace!

On another note, if we take each bomb in TLJ to be one space bomb from the X-Wing series of games, those things carry an absolutely overkill amount of firepower, even against a target that large.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I saw it on Sunday.

I try to enjoy things, and I thought it was good, but I understand people's complaints.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
B-17s in Spaaaaaaace!

On another note, if we take each bomb in TLJ to be one space bomb from the X-Wing series of games, those things carry an absolutely overkill amount of firepower, even against a target that large.

Take a 4-ship formation of TIE bombers armed with space bombs and you can wreak some havoc on the Rebel scum! Loved those games so much, the 90s was a golden age for flight sims.

Speaking of Wedge, we haven't seen any sign of him in the new trilogy. I think the voice actor showed up in Rogue One to do the voice over the PA system in the hangar, but that's it so far.

According to Wikipedia, he turned down a role in The Force Awakens because he said it would "bore him". Maybe he's smart?

The actor is now 70, but he looks good and would totally make a great Rebel admiral.

Denis_Lawson_cropped.jpg

SUPA-FNX

Reaction score
I think Episode VIII was very entertaining. Lucky there is always oxygen on all planets in Star War worlds.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Take a 4-ship formation of TIE bombers armed with space bombs and you can wreak some havoc on the Rebel scum! Loved those games so much, the 90s was a golden age for flight sims.

Speaking of Wedge, we haven't seen any sign of him in the new trilogy. I think the voice actor showed up in Rogue One to do the voice over the PA system in the hangar, but that's it so far.

According to Wikipedia, he turned down a role in The Force Awakens because he said it would "bore him". Maybe he's smart?

The actor is now 70, but he looks good and would totally make a great Rebel admiral.

Denis_Lawson_cropped.jpg

The actor is actually the uncle of Ewan McGregor, Obi-Wan in the prequels. He actually tried to talk him out of taking the role.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
The actor is actually the uncle of Ewan McGregor, Obi-Wan in the prequels. He actually tried to talk him out of taking the role.

Ha, interesting. So he is smart, after all! At least Ewan has avoided being typecast.

wingnut

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
For starters, the initial scene had me cringing in the first 10 minutes of the film; not a good way to start. That stupid prank call and jokey dialogue for the rest of the film was out of place and immediately set the mood wrong.

Apparently, the Imperials have somehow gotten worse at combat than they used to be, since Poe Dameron can take out all those gun turrets on a "dreadnought" by himself while his cartoon droid keeps spawning fingers in a visual (yet another) joke.

Zombie Leia was another thing that had me cringing. I'm sorry, but if actual Jedi knights can die, so can an old lady with no Jedi training who gets sucked into space. Honestly, I thought that's how they were going to write Carrie Fisher out of the story, and I was okay with that; she died in combat fighting for the Rebellion, but, wait! Nope, guess not. The overall level of Force overkill only gets worse from there.
Humor is irritating, totally unrealistic, when I saw Leia coming back from space vacuum, I just thought "maybe to go out of cinema immediately?".
That bomber run at the start was just plain bad space physics even by star wars standards of magic space flight. Dropping bombs while over a ship? Come on.

The Leia un-blowout scene was rather unexpected in every way - i totally expected that to be the point they write her out of the story, and since she does not do much afterwards it was just odd.

Yes, yes, yes.
Saw it today and those were the points that made me want to leave the cinema.
It's very comforting to read similar opinions here as the person I was watching the movie with liked it and I was the grumpy party pooper...

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, yes, yes.
Saw it today and those were the points that made me want to leave the cinema.
It's very comforting to read similar opinions here as the person I was watching the movie with liked it and I was the grumpy party pooper...

My brother finally saw it and agreed with me as well, so we can still be friends.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' hits $1 billion worldwide

Quoting from the article:

Just three weeks after its release, "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" has already raked in more than $1 billion around the world.

Disney (DIS), which owns the "Star Wars" production company Lucasfilm, said Sunday that global box office numbers for "The Last Jedi" stood at an estimated $1.04 billion.

Disney says that makes "The Last Jedi" the third-biggest film of 2017 worldwide.

According to figures from Box Office Mojo, which tracks the industry, Disney's "Beauty and the Beast" earned $1.26 billion around the world and Universal Pictures' "Fate of the Furious" brought in $1.24 billion.

Since it's still only been three weeks since release, it will be interesting to see the final box office numbers once it finishes its theater run worldwide. It still hasn't opened in China yet -- that is set for January 5th.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I find it disheartening that mediocre films can make so much money while true art works like Blade Runner 2049 get passed over by the public to such an extent. It's a feedback loop that works against high quality.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I find it disheartening that mediocre films can make so much money while true art works like Blade Runner 2049 get passed over by the public to such an extent. It's a feedback loop that works against high quality.

Not to even mention the value of adding creatures and making small changes to characters or ships to make more money from merch. It's a little transparent. Having said that I watched this with my eight year old, she was quite enamoured with the Porgs - naturally, I suppose.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not to even mention the value of adding creatures and making small changes to characters or ships to make more money from merch. It's a little transparent. Having said that I watched this with my eight year old, she was quite enamoured with the Porgs - naturally, I suppose.

Of course. Now you have to buy her some toy Porgs as a gift. The Emperor will be pleased.

iu

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I don't understand the fuss over Star Wars, saw the first one at the cinema and some others on the telly. Average space cowboys stuff to me?

N.