Project "Starlab" space station

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I've found that the custom fairing I've realized for the Challenger expansion module is just right also for the Sagitta. Here a concept of the integration between the Jarvis L launcher and the spaceplane.

---------- Post added 01-11-17 at 12:31 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-10-17 at 08:41 PM ----------

RCS groups added:

Those really simple textures for the RCS traces back to at least six years ago. I drew it for an unfinished project. Don't throw anything away!

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
A slightly more careful calculation of the weights shows a total value for the Sagitta of 38,960 kg, included 7,500 kg of fuel and 4,500 kg of payload. This is well beyond the normal capacity of the L and C versions of the Jarvis launcher, so the more powerful Jarvis B must come in help. Jarvis B is the version closest to the original, real Jarvis project proposed by Hughes in the '80. It is also commonly used for the Verrazzano, the other logistic spacecraft of the FOI fleet.

All this is not sure yet; more details will come soon. I need to select the launcher soon because I must draw a proper payload adapter and Jarvis B, L and C have dissimilar geometries because of the different upper stages.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Another good rendering for today:

The "bulge" at the rear, between the V-tails, is meant to accommodate the drag chute.

Last edited:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Work on the control surfaces.
I'm not sure about the V-tails. Initially I drew them in a traditional way: fixed with a separate flap. But now I would adopt a more modern configuration with a completely movable surface. Here the two configurations, side by side.

Which one do you prefer?

K_Jameson

Reaction score
The simple pressurized cargo compartment is nearly complete and awaits the installation in the spaceplane's mesh. 5 meters long, it is large about as a small room. A version of the Sagitta without this cargo module can also be expected.

The small porthole has the sole purpose of assist the canadarm operations with the unpressurized payloads in the cargo bay.

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Oh and this is how it will look like into the cargo bay:

---------- Post added 01-24-17 at 08:04 PM ---------- Previous post was 01-23-17 at 08:36 PM ----------

I've placed some very simple furnishings into the module. Now appears to be complete.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
This is the updated figure about the weights of the spaceplane.
I'm not totally sure about the credibility of these numbers, so I show them to you

Total weight (unfuelled): 25,240 kg
Internal fuel: 7,500 kg
Maximum payload: 6,000 kg
Total liftoff weight: 38,740 kg
Delta V: 763,87 m/sec

The launcher must be the Jarvis B although isn't totally exploited its payload capacity. Jarvis C can theoretically launch it with a reduced payload but that version of the rocket is meant for GTO and GEO missions and I think that isn't well suited for heavy LEO launches because of the low thrust upper stage (never tried this).

turtle91

Reaction score
Jarvis C can theoretically launch it with a reduced payload but that
I agree, the Jarvis_B would be the better choice.
So you would have some DV's available for a possible plane-change or high-orbit encounter.

Just FOI, I used the Jarvis-C to launch 18 mT payload to a 220x450 orbit, and had about 1500 DV left.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I tried a different method of calculation of the weights, taking as reference both Shuttle and Buran, and my previous numbers remain pretty solid. I've further refined it for a matter of few kilograms, so this step can be considered closed.

Here the spacecraft with the folded wings, ready to be tested with the launcher.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Today a test with the Jarvis B rocket: an inert Sagitta "boilerplate", that replicates the weight of the fully functional spaceplane, was flawlessly launched in orbit.

barrygolden

Reaction score
Interesting spaceplane concept. Nasa did look at launching the X33 on delta 4 for ISS resupply missions. It would have a Space Hab module for the crew compartment with a B1 bomber launch abort system. A winged recover system is the only to support station operations economically

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I wonder why the very same texture, applied in different parts of the fuselage, appears lighter or darker:

---------- Post added 02-08-17 at 06:19 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-07-17 at 06:21 PM ----------

Problem solved! A trivial error in the material properties... my fault...
Speaking of materials, I've completed the applications of the properties:

Now it looks better.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Thanks to Wolf that provided some sample of his photoreal textures for the Space Shuttle, I've a little improved the Sagitta surfaces:

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Last edited:

Trekkie

Starfleet Head of Ship Design
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting looking Spaceplane! Love it would love to try it out! many of you just know me of star trek stuff but yes i actually do enjoy real life Space Tech :hailprobe:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
I'm also a Star Trek fan and your ships are astonishing. I also drew some sci-fi ships, not inspired at the ST universe but at this. Their purpose is primarily a visual reference for a sci-fi novel I'm writing.

Returning in topic: docking test of the Sagitta. Surprise: not at Starlab but at the stock ISS.

Trekkie

Starfleet Head of Ship Design
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm also a Star Trek fan and your ships are astonishing. I also drew some sci-fi ships, not inspired at the ST universe but at this. Their purpose is primarily a visual reference for a sci-fi novel I'm writing.

Returning in topic: docking test of the Sagitta. Surprise: not at Starlab but at the stock ISS.

Thanks! and it looks great! im a big fan of this Project!

K_Jameson

Reaction score

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Sagitta at Starlab.
Note the Exposed Facility's Canadarm in position to retrieve unpressurized cargos.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Hypothesis of the unpressurized cargo placement in the cargo bay (the doors were removed for clarity).
In this configuration, the bay can host up to three standardized modules (to be installed in the Exposed Facility) but with only two the arrangement is less cramped.

In an hypotetical configuration without the pressurized cargo module, the bay could host at least six modules, but I'm not sure if that configuration will be included in the package.