Advanced Question Starship Weaponry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If you are reffering to "Combat MFD", I have used it. But the moment I tried firing a missile an aproaching asteroid, another asteroid hit my space craft and the simulator instantly crashed. For me, a program crash usually occors when I collide with something at an extream amount of velocity.
Then I would suggest that you not crash into things. At that point, your ship (and you along with it) has been atomized, so there's nothing left to fly.

Orbiter isn't crashing, it's just exiting because you're dead.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not quite up to that level of C++ yet.

But you're doing this, which sounds much more complicated than an MFD:

Well, I'm kind of working on that. A simulator with an advanced aeordinamics engine, damage engine, gravity engine, racing engine, atmospheric properties engine, and racing engine with online capabilities and can hold multiple events on one server. Ment mainly for racing, but the engine allows modes other than racing. Details are classified but there are some more details on my website.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok then. But how do I avoid debris that's comming at me like that?
Don't use addons that add so many asteroids? Asteroid fields in reality don't look like the Star Wars version--it's not asteroids everywhere. There's really quite a lot of empty space.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
But you're doing this, which sounds much more complicated than an MFD:

You beat me to it. And we still haven't seen the screenshots TCR promised of this wonderful, all singing, all dancing simulator.

TCR_500

Making my own racing simulator.
Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
The screenshots will come up in my next post on this thread. If no one does a post between now and the next 24 hours, I'll add the screenshots to this post. I'll open my projects as soon as I hit "Submit Reply". I should have 4 or 5 built before this 24 hour period is up.

Update: I have the screenshots built. Here they are. These will be the only screenshots of my utilities from the developers view and the application view. These utilities are no where near operational yet.

Attachments

• tcr_utils_1.png
    tcr_utils_1.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 49
  • tcr_utils_2.png
    tcr_utils_2.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 36
  • tcr_utils_3.png
    tcr_utils_3.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 37
  • tcr_utils_4.png
    tcr_utils_4.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, no. You've got nothing. I don't think you even have any idea where to start. A few empty Visual C++ projects and dialogs drawn up in the form editor are a long, long, long way from a simulator. How good are you at calculus? Can you code integrators? Are you familiar with Newtonian physics? Rigid body dynamics? Orbital elements? 3D Rendering? Programming at all?

Many start out programming thinking everything will be easy once they learn Hello World, and they will create the next great video game. It doesn't work that way. Learning a programming language is the easy part.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
TCR, I would be happy to give you what assistance I can, but I need to know your age first. I have a few rules about the age of people I work with over the internet

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ok, that had been the first 5 minutes of your project. Add 37495 more and you might be pretty close to having a first good looking simulator done. Again about 70000 minutes more and you might have all your planned features implemented. Moore's law might then also have caught up with your plans.

---------- Post added at 12:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 AM ----------

Many start out programming thinking everything will be easy once they learn Hello World, and they will create the next great video game. It doesn't work that way. Learning a programming language is the easy part.

Actually, while it took me 5 years of learning programming until I had my first game done, it took me only 1 year of Turbo Pascal and 1.5 years of assembler until I had a DOS game done which had good then current VESA graphics. 16 bit colors, 800 x 600, with gourand shaded textured 3D renderings in building previews... Today you laugh about that, but at that time, caffeine made it possible. :lol:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Update: I have the screenshots built. Here they are. These will be the only screenshots of my utilities from the developers view and the application view. These utilities are no where near operational yet.
I see some blank files and a simple form designer UI which doesn't do anything.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I see no simulator.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The screenshots will come up in my next post on this thread. If no one does a post between now and the next 24 hours, I'll add the screenshots to this post. I'll open my projects as soon as I hit "Submit Reply". I should have 4 or 5 built before this 24 hour period is up.

That's not an editor you have made. That's visual studio, created by microsoft, who are probably the best programmers in the world. Also the richest. So I wouldn't claim that the 'planet editor' is yours 'cos Bill ( or whoever owns them now ) might sue :p

I don't want to put off ambitious people like you. Just start off small ( and realistic).

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Visual Studio is by microsoft. But the utilities I'm building for my simulator are mine. And my age is classified, the most I'd give just anyone is to the month. Which that won't be given to just anyone, I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Visual Studio is by microsoft. But the utilities I'm building for my simulator are mine. And my age is classified, the most I'd give just anyone is to the month. Which that won't be given to just anyone, I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

Let me guess - You are 6,011? Or is your age another one of those deep, dark conspiracies that you are keen on.

I'll admit that I was expecting a little more than a TODO: comment for screenshots....

One final thing, the screenshot on the right (4 I think), the dialog box has a typo. It's "Dimensions".

Good luck with the rest of the application.

insane_alien

Reaction score
ahh the soviet unions approach to targetting. culminating in the tsar bomba.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
I think we should be more concerned with the Chinese government than the no longer existent Soviet Empire (Soviet Union). But the weapons are only to be used for self defence, if nessissary, they can be used in war. But once I build the starship, I plan on quickly retiring it for a starship that can get to Mars and back to Earth without the stage one rocket while having at least 15% of it's fuel left to give for a greater margin for error.

Status
Not open for further replies.