Advanced Question Starship Weaponry

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCR_500

Making my own racing simulator.
Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
I'm going to put operational weapons aboard the starship I'm building. Only accessable in a pop-up window, but it controls the rotation and pitch angle of each of the four plasma cannons aboard as well as firing missiles from the front and rear of the starship. The weapons will do real damage to anything it hits and the missiles can be controlled by remote. I've had some experience using Visual C++. I'm currently building the weapon consol in GMAX. There is going to be a limited suply of plasma aboard. There are going to be three standard missiles aboard for each tube, and one anti-matter missile for the front tube. The antimatter missile will vaporize anything within 15 million miles of the impact point. The standard missiles have enough power to blow a large space station to pieces or blow a building clear off the foundation. Can someone help me program this weaponry?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I can't really help you. The basic stuff, orientation of the weapons, projections, intersection checks etc, are no problem, but I lack the imagination for implementing the weapon effects. Or, with other words: My consciousness prevents me from helping making weapons with 0.16 AU (16% of the distance Earth-Sun) complete destruction radius. That is not fun, that is masturbation for destruction.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'd agree with Urwumpe. This sounds like something that's better off in an application which glorfies violence and destruction.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Ok. I've build the screenshots already. Here they are. This pannel just focuses on the standard missiles which has an explosion radius of about 75 meters depending on the atmosphere if orbiter can simulate it. I've built one of the two missile consols.

Let me ask you a question. If I build the forms for the missiles and plasma turrets, can you make them functional?

Update: The weapons are only for sef defence. An anti-matter missile can punch quite the hole in the astroid belt and yourself if you are not careful.

Attachments

• Missile_pannel_1.png
    Missile_pannel_1.png
    13 KB · Views: 53
  • turret_pannel.png
    turret_pannel.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Uh, that sounds like an awful lot of antimatter. Have you done the math?

As far as "destroying" vessels in Orbiter, sputnik's Orion nuclear pulse vessel addon have a feature in which any vessel that is within 1 km (is it?) of a nuclear pulse unit when it detonates is immediately moved to the surface of the Earth at 0 Lat and 0 Lon, simulating "destruction", unless of course that vessel is in the shadow of the Orion's pusher plate. A little text message also appears telling you you just vaporized your booster stage or whatever the unfortunate vessel was. You might be able to code that up.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Ouch. Well, I want to test the weapon in the astroid belt and hope that my warp engines can get me at least 20 million miles from the belt before it goes off. Which reminds me. Why does orbiter crash if I hit a planet while the warp drive is engaged?

By the way, in star-trek, one of the shuttle craft's warp core has enough anti-matter to do more damage than my missile.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why does orbiter crash if I hit a planet while the warp drive is engaged?

Is that a question or a rant about your lack of navigation? :lol: Are you sure you downloaded the right game? "Babylon 5:I've found her" might be closer to the gaming you present.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
I have the Warp Drive MFD installed into orbiter. A slight miscalculation on how slowly the ship slows down without the "Emergency Drop" feature resulted in a collision. A second later, I got a message saying "Orbiter has stopped working".

Back to the original question. Can anyone help me with the starship functions? I have some files for controlling the weapons that are aboard the ship but they do nothing. Or do I need to get further along in development before I can get any help?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You may want to look into helping these people out: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=7621 rather than making your own system from scratch (since you don't know C++ well enough).

The community would benefit more from a single well-done program to do this than lots of random one-offs.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
The community would benefit more from a single well-done program to do this than lots of random one-offs.

Well, I'm kind of working on that. A simulator with an advanced aeordinamics engine, damage engine, gravity engine, racing engine, atmospheric properties engine, and racing engine with online capabilities and can hold multiple events on one server. Ment mainly for racing, but the engine allows modes other than racing. Details are classified but there are some more details on my website.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, I'm kind of working on that. A simulator with an advanced aeordinamics engine, damage engine, gravity engine, racing engine, atmospheric properties engine, and racing engine with online capabilities and can hold multiple events on one server. Ment mainly for racing, but the engine allows modes other than racing. Details are classified but there are some more details on my website.
That's quite a project.

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Judging by what you've been saying, no, you are not.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Yes please. But for the sake of this thread, making a new thread for it is wise.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
I already have a thread for such a simulator. Try here to go directly to the forum. Oh, and the moment I tried to fire a weapon at one of the asteroids, the program crashed. But thanks for the link. I think I'll leave this thread dormat until I at least get the ejectable cockpit operational. One screenshot comming up.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I already have a thread for such a simulator. Try here to go directly to the forum. Oh, and the moment I tried to fire a weapon at one of the asteroids, the program crashed. But thanks for the link. I think I'll leave this thread dormat until I at least get the ejectable cockpit operational. One screenshot comming up.

There are no screenshots in that linked thread.

Well, if Orbiter crashed you did something wrong.

escapetomsfate

OBSP Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Did you use my addon? The one Hielor linked to?

Using that might be better than trying to code one yourself, if you don't feel up to it. You can make custom weapons with combatMFD without even writing a single line of C++. It's all config files. It can cover most of the things you asked for.

And btw, don't you think that your slogan "pushing the limits on realsim!" is a bit ironic? :p

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
If you are reffering to "Combat MFD", I have used it. But the moment I tried firing a missile an aproaching asteroid, another asteroid hit my space craft and the simulator instantly crashed. For me, a program crash usually occors when I collide with something at an extream amount of velocity.

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
If you are reffering to "Combat MFD", I have used it. But the moment I tried firing a missile an aproaching asteroid, another asteroid hit my space craft and the simulator instantly crashed. For me, a program crash usually occors when I collide with something at an extream amount of velocity.
Think its a floating point overflow problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.