Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Good news all around. This should make finding add-ons a lot easier, especially for newer users.
Yes it'll tie into the forum's search engine, so you can search for resources like you search for anything else on the board.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hi folks,

As you may have noticed, we've reopened the forum, but the addons from OHM haven't appeared here yet. This is due to some errors in the import process which didn't appear in our testing scenarios. After trying repeatedly long into the night, we took the decision to reopen the forum without the OHM Addons attached.

The OHM site, however, will stay in its maintenance mode. We'll continue to debug and resolve the import issues through the day until it's complete.

Apologies for the disappointing news, but nobody's more fed up about it than we are!

Ericman832

Reaction score
Hi folks,

As you may have noticed, we've reopened the forum, but the addons from OHM haven't appeared here yet. This is due to some errors in the import process which didn't appear in our testing scenarios. After trying repeatedly long into the night, we took the decision to reopen the forum without the OHM Addons attached.

The OHM site, however, will stay in its maintenance mode. We'll continue to debug and resolve the import issues through the day until it's complete.

Apologies for the disappointing news, but nobody's more fed up about it than we are!
Really sad to see most of these addons unavailable ?
Gonna miss the ones I loved.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Really sad to see most of these addons unavailable ?
Gonna miss the ones I loved.
They're not gone. It's just going to take a bit longer to get them here.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
FYI, my addons are now showing (unlike last night) and, maybe I messed up when uploading it to O-H, but Calculator CF is in the "Repaint" category, when it should "Utilities" or something similar. Also, Mega Zoom MFD is not from 2012 (and also I'm pretty sure Calculator CF isn't from 2016).
Obviously, these "nothing addons" are not a priority, I'm just reporting what I'm seeing in hopes of providing more clues for the team as to whatever didn't go well last night.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
Cool update! One question: Is it still possible to post multiple ZIP files in a single resource page just like OHM does before it is retired? So far, on the Launch Sounds series, (specifically Atlas V) only one ZIP file instead of two are linked. Originally, the two ZIP files were namely "Flight 1-20.zip" and "Flight 21-40.zip". But only the first one is downloadable

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I went to upload a file, and it says the file is to big to process.
I used to put files twice this size on OHM, is this going to be fixed?

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
This should be resolved now, can you retry? I had to adjust some PHP settings.

An important limitation (which comes from CloudFlare and isn't currently configurable by us) is a 100MB limit on POST requests, so that's the current upper limit on Resource size. If your resource is larger than that, the request will be blocked by cloudflare, and the file upload will just appear to hang.

I do want to accept resource files larger than this, however, so we'll look into what we can do to work around that limit.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
An important limitation (which comes from CloudFlare and isn't currently configurable by us) is a 100MB limit on POST requests, so that's the current upper limit on Resource size. If your resource is larger than that, the request will be blocked by cloudflare, and the file upload will just appear to hang.

I do want to accept resource files larger than this, however, so we'll look into what we can do to work around that limit.
Sorry to be direct, but this shows that the new system was not tested before being implemented. 100MB is nothing for a modern addon, and I'm sure that older ones are beyond that limit. So it won't work...

And it's a mess and disrespect for addon creators!:oops:
My addons are now attributed to CamSox ( https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/authors/camsox.23047/ ) and mixed with others.(n)
I don't see any way to edit them or update the descriptions (which are also messed up, probably the usual encoding problems - easy to fix if testing was done).
And search doesn't seem to work (tried both the normal one at the top right of the page - only results from forums- and resource search - nothing is returned).

Please restore OH as it was ASAP. At least all my addons were there and I could edit or delete them if I wished.
As it is, they were stolen from me.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sorry to be direct, but this shows that the new system was not tested before being implemented. 100MB is nothing for a modern addon, and I'm sure that older ones are beyond that limit. So it won't work...

And it's a mess and disrespect for addon creators!:oops:
My addons are now attributed to CamSox ( https://www.orbiter-forum.com/resources/authors/camsox.23047/ ) and mixed with others.(n)
I don't see any way to edit them or update the descriptions (which are also messed up, probably the usual encoding problems - easy to fix if testing was done).
And search doesn't seem to work (tried both the normal one at the top right of the page - only results from forums- and resource search - nothing is returned).

Please restore OH as it was ASAP. At least all my addons were there and I could edit or delete them if I wished.
As it is, they were stolen from me.

The current state of the resources should not be considered final or complete, by any means - which is why we haven't announced that it's "done" yet. There are a couple of issues with the imported dataset including the ones you noted.

The attribution of add-ons to @CamSox is, naturally, an error - this UID collides with the UID of the catch-all user I mentioned for add-ons which the importer couldn't work out the Author for. Correctly, the addon would be attributed to the "Unknown OHM Addon Dev" user, which could then be reassigned to you, at which point you'd automatically get back edit control. The search function doesn't work for resources yet because the search index would need to be rebuilt to take the manually added content into account, which I haven't spent the time to do yet, since the dataset is not yet final.

It's important to bear in mind that the dataset is moderate in size (5,414 add-ons) and stored within OHM in an entirely different and incompatible manner as compared to the target system. In order to migrate the one to the other, we've had to make a number of small concessions to the process, and write entirely bespoke middleware to bridge the gap between the two sites. This is not a trivial task to perform, nor did we expect it to come without issues. Testing took place over multiple days of considered effort, but real-world scenarios have a way of adding in variables that weren't accountable for during the testing phase.

Our efforts are focused now on completing the migration and finalising the dataset, which we hope to be able to achieve in short order.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Many thanks to you folks for your hard work on this - much appreciated (y)
Hope you can get it all sorted out eventually!

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
What can we do to help?

To address some users concerns could you temporarily reënable Orbithangar? Or are there competing resources that would prevent that?

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
This should be resolved now, can you retry? I had to adjust some PHP settings.
Fixed, thanks! (y)

As I see it, this isn't a huge issue per se, IIRC there is the same 100MB file size limit on the X-Plane site for addons. If an addon is bigger than 100MB, the uses can just upload 2+ 100MB files. As I see it, nice to fix, but not urgent.

Is there a way to fix the dates on addons? It shows that my Light Weight Lunar Lander addon was released in 2005, and I am fairly sure I wasn't making Orbiter addons before I could read... ;)
I assume this is one of the bugs that will be fixed in time?