Important State of the Forum Address 2019

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Is there any way to force Xenforo to display the desktop version on a mobile device?....
On my Opera (Android) all I need to do is to set the "Default User Agent" as "Desktop", and it's done.

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Both test forums look OK.
Xenforo looks a bit more polished, as expected from a commercial product.

But I think both solutions would work well for us.

I made a concerted effort both to set up, operate, and use both test forums for the past week and I definitely prefer the XenForo one, in terms of completeness, its general polish level, some nice features in the staff-end, and its REST API (which I can use for other purposes in the future). PHPBB is a solid system, but the migration was a lot more difficult and error-prone, and I had to do a lot more work to get a functional copy of OF running under it.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
No surprise that the commercial solution is better ;) It did look more polished.
But its good to know that the free solution also works if needed. It's win / win really.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I've been over some of the styles and created some new variants based off the more commonly-used styles available on Orbiter Forum today. They're unfinished, but a good start point for developing a similar look and feel while retaining the more modern HTML-5 layout XenForo provides by default.

I'm also enumerating everything I'd need to do in order to actually complete the work to move the forum over to this software.