News Stephen Hawking Dead at 76

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
He sure made an incredible life from the hand he was dealt. Active in the Physics community until the end. He'll be missed, but well remembered. RIP

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Awful news.

To some degree, death always is. On the other hand, from his perspective, or that of any of his friends and family, in 1963, the information that he would die in 2018 would be great news. He lived into old age with a disease that should have killed him in his 20s.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, in a way, he did everything right there: The trick is to die as young as possible, and that as late as possible. And he really did not let his disease limit him more than necessary. He even did a Zero-G flight some years ago.

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My favourite quote of his, stolen from a news site today:

Interviewer “You’ve stated that you believe there could be an infinite number of parallel universes. Does that mean that there is a universe out there where I'm smarter than you?”

Hawking: “Yes, and also a universe where you’re funny.”

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Hawking felt that any life he had after his ALS diagnosis was bonus. Quite the bonus!

I suppose knowing that you could die at any time really focuses your efforts on the now.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43499024

Stephen Hawking's final interview: A beautiful Universe
By Pallab Ghosh
Science correspondent, BBC News

Last October I invited Prof Stephen Hawking to comment on the detection of gravitational waves from the collision of two neutron stars. It turned out to be his final broadcast interview.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Prof Stephen Hawking's final research paper suggests that our Universe may be one of many similar to our own.
The theory resolves a cosmic paradox of the late physicist's own making.
It also points a way forward for astronomers to find evidence of the existence of parallel universes.
The study was submitted to the Journal of High-Energy Physics 10 days before Prof Hawking died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43976977

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44043605

Members of the public are being offered the chance to attend a service of thanksgiving for Professor Stephen Hawking, who died in March aged 76.
It will take place in Westminster Abbey on 15 June and up to 1,000 tickets are available by way of a ballot system.
During the service, the scientist's ashes will be interred between Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
the scientist's ashes will be interred between Sir Isaac Newton and Charles Darwin.

Wow. That's the highest caliber.

Does that mean that in about 150 years, his work will also be taught as essential introductory material to moderately studious adolescents?

We might need some more grades added to secondary school at some point...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Hawkins has a unique place in British culture, most of us can't understand his material. I've a few of his books, and "sort of " understand some of it. Not surprising, he was a theoretical physicist!
However, its his enthusiasm that appeals. and he fits into the Einstein, Feynman, Bronowski, Attenborough of people who can get their message across.

I wish engineer level people could get that sort of recognition, Watt, Stephenson, Brunel, Wallis, Alan Bond and team.
Westminster Abbey could get crowded!

N.