General Question Stock mapMFD map

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I am wondering if somewhere someone has made or changed or what ever you smarter then me people do a map that has the state lines, maybe the names and country boarder lines. Something a little more accurate then the outer shapes of the continents.

I was just wondering. I was flying around today and I just noticed.

I have another question but it is not map related.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There is a trick somewhere to make Orbiter '10 MapMFD look and act like Orbiter '06, but I can't remember how to do it. Then you could use this [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2356"]Color Earth and Moon Maps for Map MFD[/ame]

Let me crawl around the forum here for a bit and see if I can find it.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
There is a trick somewhere to make Orbiter '10 MapMFD look and act like Orbiter '06, but I can't remember how to do it...
You have to edit the parameter MFDMapVersion = 1, in your "Orbiter.cfg" (or "Orbiter_NG.cfg", depending on wether you use use a graphics client or not).

It must be under the section
; === Logical parameters ===
and its values are "0" or "1", as far as I remember, with "1" being the Orbiter2010P1 default.

If you don't find such a parameter, add this line
; === ORBITER Master Configuration File ===
EchoAllParams = TRUE

in the section at the top of the file, then run Orbiter once, exit, and open the cfg again.

...you could also add it directly, but EchoAllParams = TRUE is more interesting.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That said, is there actually any documentation on the new map format? Since it's a vector format, and if it uses Long&Lat as input coordinates for the vectors, doing what TMHLIVE suggests should be fairly simple...

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
That said, is there actually any documentation on the new map format? Since it's a vector format, and if it uses Long&Lat as input coordinates for the vectors, doing what TMHLIVE suggests should be fairly simple...

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=16321

Note that the map segments are drawn with GDI (in the default graphics client anyway, don't now about the others), so increasing the detail could severely impact on performance.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is the size of the drawing surface dependant of the background image, even on the 2010 Map MFD ? Because then GDI performance issues would explain why I was having a high performance drop when using Map MFD referenced to Earth in the inline client ...

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...Note that the map segments are drawn with GDI (in the default graphics client anyway, don't now about the others), so increasing the detail could severely impact on performance.
I always use D3D9 and, as already reported some time ago (it must be buried in the D3D9 development thread), MAP MFD does impact FPS.

Whenever I use MAP MFD, I always zoom in 1 or 2 notches at least, in order to make it "draw less", and FPS increases at once.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I am confused. I have never used 2006 always 2010 so I don't know what the map is like to be honest. But I see all these other posts and I totally don't get it.:huh:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I see. Well I don't want to play around with something that will make my orbiter run bad. It has enough problems :lol: but I was just wondering if the current map could be fixed to have the state lines etc etc. or if something was out for 2010 to do this. It would be cool when I am doing a atom flight to know where I am in the states or canada or where ever rather then oh I'm this far away from base :lol:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I still would love to have more detail or at least know where I am flying over. I am working with someone and we are putting together a addon that is for atmo flight. That's why I am asking about the state lines or border lines rather then just the outlines and bodies of water. I love the map the way it is now just the details of where I am would be cool to have rather then just a lat and long. I would love to know when I am over New York state or when I cross over to canada or something like that.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
Took a look at the whole vector thing. I am so outta my element. Props to who ever came up with all them numbers. Looks like not having any state lines or borders are not in my future. Kinda surprising tho. to be honest. I know orbiter is not a atmo sim but with all the atmo vessels out in the orbiter universe knowing where you are is kinda a big deal if you are going for the whole flight experience.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Last time I looked out the window of a plane, I didn't see any border lines. :rolleyes:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
ya and thats why your not in the pilots seat and if you are...Imma stay on the ground.

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

and I am talking about the MFD not the surface textures. READ

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Actually I was in the pilot seat, but I had no MFD's. It was a glider.

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
oh well fair game then. but that being said putting around the states where you don't need to really worry about it so much is super easy and yes I do agree with you in that respect but having the want to know where you are in relation to other countries, states etc etc is what I am getting at within the orbiter environment on earth.

Reaction score
You could use custom surface markers, although those wouldn't show up in MapMFD, but they do give you a good idea of where you are.

See \Doc\OrbiterConfig.pdf sec 2.4

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
are the custom markers on the textures them self?

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I saw this website:
http://download.geofabrik.de/north-america.html

...and remembered of this thread.

Maybe there could be a way to add a layer over MAP MFD, or in a totally new MFD.
I don't mean that this layer must exactly be from this webpage.
It's just that this page triggered the idea.

I don't have the slightest clue about if and how it could ever be done, but maybe some smarter-than-me addon developer can come up with a clever idea.

:cheers:

TMHLIVE

Sci-Fi Test Pilot
Reaction score
I saw this website:
http://download.geofabrik.de/north-america.html

...and remembered of this thread.

Maybe there could be a way to add a layer over MAP MFD, or in a totally new MFD.
I don't mean that this layer must exactly be from this webpage.
It's just that this page triggered the idea.

I don't have the slightest clue about if and how it could ever be done, but maybe some smarter-than-me addon developer can come up with a clever idea.

:cheers:

Ya for sure. Thats totally the idea. And thanks for remembering the post. Ya a mfd or putting it over the existing one would for sure be what needs to be done. I also have no clue how to do it. But the data and the information shown on that site is in some way or form is the general idea. Its not gonna play with FPS. Its just gonna be a more accurate way to fly and know where you are.