Updates STS-134 Updates

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Cool. Thanks Orb. Very handy. I was hoping that it'd be a late afternoon launch so I could see it go over the UK after launch. I've seen it once before and wanted to see it before the end of the program. "Help me STS-135, you're (now) my only hope"

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
How will you see it in the daytime?
Late afternoon at Cape is evening in Europe. Depending on the date and time of the launch, it could be after sunset there, but before the Earth's shadow. STS-134 won't launch on late afternoon, but STS-135 still can, as its launch date might be moved further, but for the preliminary July 12th launch it would be morning, too.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
The countdown clock for STS-134 started ticking again today (3 hours ago). Now at T-40 hours and counting.

The official countdown sequence started at 7 a.m. EDT / 11:00 UTC, after launch team members had gathered for the "call-to-stations" at 6:30 a.m. EDT / 10:30 UTC.

Countdown status and weather briefing for Monday's launch is starting now at NASA TV.

NASASpaceflight:
  • STS-134: Endeavour closing in on S0007 – ALCA-2 root cause update:
    {...}

Though officially still tagged as an Unexplained Anomaly (UA) – which satisifies Flight Rationale given all potential suspects for the blown A49 Type III Hybrid Driver have been replaced on the vehicle – a potential root cause is being traced back to work on Endeavour when she was inside her Orbiter Processing Facility (OPF) last year.

Related to OPF work to overheat an overtemp thermostat on the system – in order to test it would cut out as designed – a data review showed a spike of current just prior to when the circuit was cut.

“We were testing thermostats back in June (involving the) heating up of overtemp thermostat (in order to show) it really does cut out and stop the circuit,” noted Mission Management Team (MMT) chairman and Space Shuttle Launch Integration manager Mike Moses.

“It did what it was supposed to do, but if you look really close at the (high speed) data, there was a spike of current right before that happened – much higher than we’ve ever seen before.”

While Mr Moses noted the finding – which was “late breaking news” on Monday, as he addressed the STS-134 status to the media – was preliminary, additional information later in the week continued to focus on the OPF work related to what is known as the S12B thermostat.

With the overtemp thermostat in question now removed from Endeavour, engineers have noticed a bare conductor on one of the leads near the head, leading to a theory that the metal tip on the heat gun – used by the technician to overheat the thermostat – may have accidentally brushed the aforementioned exposed/bare wire, causing the momentary short.

It’s also possible the metal tape which surrounds the thermostat may have also come into contact with the exposed wire, given the requirement to temporarily remove the tape in order to carry out the test. If confirmed, the root cause would then be related to that specific area of the heater leg, and the likely cause of the short in the ACLA-2 when it was powered up on launch day.

If so, given the replacement of the thermostat and associated wiring, Endeavour will not suffer from a similar incident on May 16.

{...}
  • STS-134 begins countdown – VADER payload struggles with launch delay

Spaceflight Now:
CBS News Space:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
This whole Soyuz flyabout has been quite a rollercoaster ride!

Krikkit

Reaction score
So they will be strapped in for reentry, everything has to be stowed away, and the re-entry module bulk head will be closed.

How are they supposed to get pictures?

Also other than taking a picture that will be on mine and a million other peoples computer desktops for the next year or so, what is the purpose of the fly around?

I know NASA isn't allowed to do anything just because it is awesome, how are they rationalizing this maneuver to the Gray Suits?

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
If it works, it is a nice demonstration of reliability and precision.

diogom

Reaction score
And maybe it could also serve as testing for any eventual time a Soyuz flyabout would be necessary after the Shuttle retires.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
They would have better views of the structure, from a side on view, that are not seen well, from a flyaround view.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
And it would provide some information on possible long-term damage from small debris (micrometeroids, is the spelling correct?), or at least thats the justification I've heard. :)

diogom

Reaction score
Space shuttle Endeavour's preferred launch time moved two seconds later. Now 8:56:28 a.m. EDT Monday.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Anybody else see the flag at half-staff at the press site during RSS rollback coverage?

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Introduction to commentary

Crew walkout
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mANx1VcJbo&feature=feedu"]YouTube - STS-134 Crew Suitup and Walkout[/ame]