Now they only have to deal with:
- 4 times the drag
- 4 times the forces on the wheels
- trans sonic and supersonic effects
- increased control issues
- increased run length
- twice the speed
- twice the dippers

Oh... and they have yet to stick a rocket engine on it.

Not to mention the higher-than-anticipated abrasion of several exposed (and highly important) skins.
That said... I think they can do it.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its a rather lovely bit of animation, though I'm worried it ends with a tilted horizon and a bit of a flash?

Serious stuff. Is it a two stage rocket? Is the solid rocket ignited then the oxidiser is pumped into it?.
It implies the Cosworth engine is running at two speeds?
Why does it need a catalyst disk on the input to the rocket engine. I thought HTP decomposed spontaneously?

All these questions, and its only Tuesday.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
As cool as it is, i don't quite see why is it called a car.
A car is a ground vehicle, using ground for propulsion.
This, on the other hand, is a low-flying rocket using wheels to avoid hitting the ground.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
A car (or automobile) is a wheeled motor vehicle used for transportation. Most definitions of cars say that they run primarily on roads, seat one to eight people, have four tires, and mainly transport people rather than goods.

From Wikipedia thing.

They have five out of four definitions correct, and they are going fast enough to run over the others.

Good for Bloodhound!

Not this one of course:

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
As cool as it is, i don't quite see why is it called a car.
A car is a ground vehicle, using ground for propulsion.
This, on the other hand, is a low-flying rocket using wheels to avoid hitting the ground.

There are multiple land speed records for various classes of 'car'. The outright record haven't been set by a combustion engine driven car since 1963.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

It stays in contact with the ground, uses ground for controlling its direction.

Yes, it isn't propelled by friction with the ground. But: That also applies to cars in many cases (Rolling downhill)

---------- Post added at 11:33 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Serious stuff. Is it a two stage rocket? Is the solid rocket ignited then the oxidiser is pumped into it?.

No single stage. But it ignites when enough oxidiser is pumped into it at pressure.

It implies the Cosworth engine is running at two speeds?

Yes - it also serves as APU for the car (electricity, starting the EJ200). When the V8 is connected to the pump shaft and the clutch closed, it can spin up to full power for pumping the fuel.

Why does it need a catalyst disk on the input to the rocket engine. I thought HTP decomposed spontaneously?

No, HTP decomposes usually on contact with some catalyst. But many things are a catalyst. Including humans. Also the disk serves to atomize the oxidizer and provide better combustion.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
"The bloodhound land speed racer is going on display at a museum while the search to find a further £8m investment begins.
Fundraising is for a motor to break the world record of 763mph (1,228km/h).
The Bristol car's owner, Ian Warhurst, has handed the project over to the group's head of engineering Stuart Edmondson, who said he was "confident" it would leave the museum one day."

Well, at least it isn't going to be broken up. Looks like the project is in the doldrums.