Supersonic car targets 1,000mph

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Super. I remember being really excited by Thrust-2 when I was (much) younger! Good to see that they're still at it.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its good news, I did like the design of SSC, looked as if was goimg somewhere fast.

Just need the money now
Apart from the not-insubstantial in-kind support of the MoD in the loan of the EJ200s, Bloodhound is a private project that will need to raise some £10m in financing.

N.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
According to that article, the car will get to 1,050mph in 40 sec. Unless my math has failed me, that is 15.5g! According to NASA, you could remain conscious but I don't know about hanging onto a steering wheel.

EDIT: Some better data at http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/adventure/the_record_run.cfm. That shows peak acceleration at just over 2g. That is also more consistent with the nominal thrust on the engines of 20,000lbs and 27,000lbs respectively. I guess the science editor was away from his desk for that article.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
It is a BBC technology article, so it won't have been researched...

I read elsewhere they are using a Falcon rocket, presumably not SpaceX?

From the Bloodhound web-site
In the middle of the BLOODHOUND SSC is the MCT V12 800 bhp race engine which doubles as our APU delivering hydraulic power as needed, starting the EJ200 and of course pumping the High Test Peroxide (HTP) through to the Falcon rocket. The pump has to move a ton of HTP through to the rocket catalyst in 22 seconds and at 1200 psi. The beauty of the hybrid rocket is that it uses a safe and green oxidiser in the shape of HTP and only burns its solid fuel as long as the HTP is flowing. Shut the HTP flow off and the rocket shuts down in safety. No emergency problems of having mechanically to jettison a burning solid fuel rocket or running the risk of an explosion from shutting down a bi-propellant rocket with horizontal combustion chambers

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/car.cfm

N.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
1000 miles per hour?! Wow. That's really fast for a car. Or a jet that doesn't take off.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
According to that article, the car will get to 1,050mph in 40 sec. Unless my math has failed me, that is 15.5g!
I think your maths has failed you.

I make it 1.2g on average

-----Posted Added-----

1000 miles per hour?! Wow. That's really fast for a car. Or a jet that doesn't take off.
The Thrust SSC was definitely just a jet that didn't take off. Probably the Thrust 2 also. I know with the ThrustSSC they had to put a lot of work keeping it stable, because if the nose pointed slightly up, it would just take off - even without wings.

When they examined the salt flats after the run, instead of finding tyre tracks on the ground from the wheels, they found a trench that had been ripped up under where the car went by the shock-wave.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
According to that article, the car will get to 1,050mph in 40 sec. Unless my math has failed me, that is 15.5g! According to NASA, you could remain conscious but I don't know about hanging onto a steering wheel.

Remember that it's eyes-in acceleration not eyes-down. It is easily possible to remain fully concious and in control of whatever you're doing (provided you're strong) at 15g eyes-in.
Not that this will be reaching that, mind you.

Also remember that this is a BBC science/technology article and thus whoever wrote it will have as much experience in both science and technology as Fred Flintstone. I am honestly surprised the BBC science correspondants have mastered how to turn their computers on. ;)

Oh, and thinking of what agentgonzo was saying, does anyone have that video of thrust SSC where you can see the mach-shockwave. That was an immensely powerful illustration of just how fast the thing was going!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1000 mph on the ground. Very impressive. And also very stupid. Just my opinion, of course, but any cat who survives this will have used up most of his 9 lives.

insane_alien

Reaction score
according to wolfram alpha the wheels will be doing 158.1 rotations per second (a fifth as fast as the fastest known pulsar)

the acceleration of the wheel rim will be greater than the acceleration of a bullet in a Beretta Model 92S-9mm at 444099m/s^2 thats 45270 g. i find it astounding that something could hold together uner that sort of stress.

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Last edited:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was referring to the sheer SPEED of the jolly thing! 6,453 MPH is not slow!

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I only realised a month or two ago who the chap that builds the engine is. He's well known for talking more than doing and also telling lies.
Seeing as how someone's life is at stake in this project hopefully that's not the case this time.