General Question Surface bases, surface tiles, and priority.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have a question about surface tiles and the way they interact with each others, because I noticed things that seem a bit illogical to me.

I'm going to use a little exemple to be as clear as possible.

- So let's say I have a base called "MyBase". I add level 1-4 tiles in a given perimeter, so that the location is more recognizable. I add several buildings etc...

- Now I want two airports in that base. For some practical reason (the use of BaseMaker), I want them as separate bases. So I add an "Airport_1" base and an "Airport_2" base. Those are included in the tiles of "MyBase". Here's the situation :

9Q4kVae.png

- Now I want to make those 2 "airports" even more detailed, that was the point. So I want to add level 5-9 tiles. Here the troubles begin. It seems that a given order of operations is necessary for them to show in Orbiter.

So :

- How Orbiter treats "priorities" in that special case ?

- In other words, what's the status of "Airport_1" and "Airport_2" ? Will their level 5+ tiles automatically "cover" the level 1-4 tiles of "MyBase".

- Is there something special to do (like deleting background tiles of "MyBase" at those "Airport_1" and "Airport_2" locations and "fill the holes" with the 5+ tiles ?

- Has the "BaseRadius" entry in "MyBase", "Airport_1" and "Airport_2" any influence on that behavior ? Should I set smaller values for the "inset" bases (which seems logical) ?

Thanks for sharing your experience. :tiphat:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I had some experience with that situation when adding tiles to all of Orbiter's bases.

Orbiter just reads the tiles indicated, regardless of what base config they are listed on.

In your example, you can indicate all higher level tiles in just one base. They will appear where they are supposed to.
This means that you can list the tiles for KSC in Wallops config :)
Don't know if they will actually appear due to the distance. But for close bases, no problem.

Last edited:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OBM does have a limit to how big a base can be in that there is a finite limit to the number of tiles a base will support at a given level. ( around 10 by 16 ). If your base is bigger than that you need to add a "mock" base to give additional tiles.

On the Other Hand... If you have two small bases close to each other the 10 by 16 grid of base Airport1 is part of the 10 by 16 grid of Base airport2. When you edit/download the tiles for the 2nd base it will still show a few others from the first base. i.e a field on the right of one base will appear as a field to the left of the other. Just as it does in real life.

If your diag above maps into 16 by 16 tiles the middle tiles are part of both bases.