Question Taking on Pirates

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think they lost their rights as soon as they attacked the ship.

I have very little sympathy for people that turn to violent crime to feed their families.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Somolia has a government?

Yes, no less than five governments!

And the one that spoke up did so after some "pirate leader" got unhappy. It's interesting, that opinion of Somalian Ambassador to Russia sharply contradicts to his goverment's position:

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100511/158971390.html

"It doesn't concern us whether the pirates died or not. We, the states of Russia and Somalia, are responsible for a criminal's civil rights when he voluntarily surrenders or we take him alive," ambassador Mohamed Handule told journalists.

Handule said law-abiding citizens should be pitied, rather than criminals, adding that Somalia has no funds to search for the pirates in the sea.

He told the journalists to imagine they are law enforcement officers in the wilderness. "You free the hostages, but you can't do anything with the criminals and you leave them in the woods. Are you guilty?" he asked.

Cpt 1st Rank Ildar Akhmerov, the Gulf of Aden Task Force Commander and Skipper of the Marshal Shaposhikov denied killing the captive pirates in his interview. The detained pirates refused to admit their criminal activity, claiming they were fishermen who real pirates made board the vessel, and were asking to let them go, so this is essentially what was done to them:

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20100517/159046524.html

231762149.jpg

"The task of eliminating the pirates during the operation to free the tanker was not put before us," Akhmerov told journalists. "There was one main goal - to free the tanker's crew."

The pirates were released in one of their boats after it became clear they did not fall under the jurisdiction of any state or international law. A Defense Ministry source said the pirate vessel went off radar screens after an hour and the pirates had probably perished on the open sea, leading to speculation they had been killed.

Akhmerov said the 10 pirates had been released, along with the body of one who was killed by the commandos, and pointed in the direction of Somalia.

"In a boat we gave the pirates water, food and all that remained of the junk they had with them, with the exception of the seized weapons, boarding ladders and navigational aids," he said. "The further fate of the released pirates is unknown to us."

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They didn't let them keep their nav aids? Even Captain Bligh was allowed to keep his sextant when Christian left him to die in an open boat. Of course, Bligh was an expert seaman and managed to sail his little boat hundreds of miles and survive, but I doubt these pirates had that level of competence.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Of course, Bligh was an expert seaman and managed to sail his little boat hundreds of miles and survive, but I doubt these pirates had that level of competence.

If they had little competence in navigation and poor seamanship, then why did they put off their pier in the 1st place? And in addition, it's a gulf - any rough keeping of north-western direction would have brought them to firm soil eventually. Also, it's not an empty ocean, the area is filled with their fellows who'd provided them some help. Perhaps, this is what's actually happened.

My concern was they wasn't given enough water, but now this is disproved. I trust the Captain.

In today's news, the victim tanker's crew confirmed the pirates were not shot dead, but merely released in their boat (article is in Russian): http://top.rbc.ru/society/19/05/2010/408659.shtml

Last edited:

shangding

Reaction score
MAMAMIYA.
the bbc is blocked in china.
i don't know why.what did they do?
i'm very very very...no words to say.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
MAMAMIYA.
the bbc is blocked in china.
i don't know why.what did they do?
i'm very very very...no words to say.

Long story short, they captured a Russian tanker, but the crew managed to immobilize the ship and lock themselves out of their reach. A Russian navy ship then landed a squad of marines on board of the tanker, killed one attacker and released the rest of them.

But this is already not the most recent pirate incident.

shangding

Reaction score
Long story short, they captured a Russian tanker, but the crew managed to immobilize the ship and lock themselves out of their reach. A Russian navy ship then landed a squad of marines on board of the tanker, killed one attacker and released the rest of them.

But this is already not the most recent pirate incident.

i know this,i see it on a china news site.
but i don't know why need to block the bbc website.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
i know this,i see it on a china news site.
but i don't know why need to block the bbc website.

Rule #1: The communist party is always right.
Rule #2: If the communist party is not right, Rule #1 applies.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Some of the latest:
http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/MilitaryOperations/HmsChathamDestroysPirateBoats.htm

In a co-ordinated search with an EU Naval Force maritime patrol aircraft, operating out of the Seychelles, HMS Chatham's Lynx helicopter spotted a larger vessel towing the two attack boats approximately 150 miles (240km) off the coast of Tanzania on Friday 14 May 2010.
After monitoring the vessel through the night, at dawn, in a well planned operation, the pirates were forced to surrender by the overwhelming force posed by HMS Chatham, her Lynx helicopter and fast boats containing the ship's Royal Marines detachment.

The Royal Marines team boarded the larger craft and found ten Somalis and a large amount of fuel on board; the suspected pirates had been observed throwing items, including their weapons and other piracy-related equipment, into the sea.

The two smaller attack boats were fitted with powerful outboard engines and again contained a considerable amount of fuel. These were separated from the larger craft by the Royal Marines team and HMS Chatham and her Lynx helicopter used their combined firepower to destroy the smaller craft, ensuring that the suspected pirates could not continue with their mission.
Disarmed and without the means to commit an act of piracy, the ten Somalis were left with only enough fuel in the larger vessel to return to Somalia.

There are also most recent news about HMS Lancaster sinking three pirate vessels off a Somalian coast, but I cannot find a reference in English.