Problem Textures not loading on new mesh

tradx

Reaction score
Hi Orbiters,

I designed a satellite (actually it was my wife who did the design:hotcool:) a while ago and noticed that some the groups within the mesh don't load any textures at all. When changing the texture in the mesh, you can only see a scale of greys changing but not the actual texture you are trying to apply.
I don't understand why some of the groups pick up the texture and some others don't.
The textures are genuine dds files and the route of the texture is properly passed at the end of the .msh file (as said before, some of the groups do load the textures)

Did this happen to any of you guys? Do you know why this could happen?

Appreciate your help on this since the satellite doesn't look that nice without textures properly applied after all the work:hail:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So have you loaded this in Orbiter? if so did the log mention anything?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
tradx, you can try OpenGL Orbiter Mesh Viewer:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=19625

Faster to check the meshes there than opening orbiter, selecting a scenario, etc.

Anyway, it's common for meshes to have some problems once exported. Depends on your workflow and software. On my case I get flipped normals that can be fixed on Orbiter Mesh Wizard.

But usually it's just some small problem with the mesh geometry. Go back to the program that you used and check for isolated vertices, non applied rotations, etc, etc.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Try turning up the light level in Orbiter. The material may have low specular and ambient settings.

tradx

Reaction score
Hi gattispilot, I can't see anything wrong on the log...

Hi 4throck, could you please explain to me how flip normal vectors (is it the same as flipping visible side? I have tried that already...) using Orbiter Mesh Wizard, I could try that.

Thanks!:thumbup:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi 4throck, could you please explain to me how flip normal vectors (is it the same as flipping visible side? I have tried that already...) using Orbiter Mesh Wizard, I could try that.

Thanks!:thumbup:

Yes. On flipping visible side. But normally you get a see thru event.

If you want to send it to me I can see
[email protected]

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
have you tried using any other texture on the meshes that don't show a texture that does show up from one of the other meshes might be you mesh software doesn't like the .dds AC3D doesn't like some textures so I cut and paste onto a copy of another texture that is the same size and rename it

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Hi 4throck, could you please explain to me how flip normal vectors (is it the same as flipping visible side? I have tried that already...)

Yes, it's that option on Orbiter Mesh Wizard. I think there's an option to "make double sided" that might also help. Although that will just duplicate your faces...

Can you send us a download link to your mesh? I can try to see what the problem is...

tradx

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks to all of you for your replays! I will upload it somewhere and share the link with you when I get home

I tried to flip normals and no changes...

By the way, I noticed that GROUP SolarPanelB07 and SolarPanelB08 on DTV1012.msh (under .\Commercial Satellites Part 1\Meshes\Commercial\Boeing\BSS702) which has been my reference for building my sat presents the same issue.

I can also see that this group was not given texture in the 3D design software so the texture coordinates are all set to zero (i.e. <x> <y> <z> [<nx> <ny> <nz> [<tu> <tv>]] with tu=0 & tv=0)

This is not the case with the groups that I designed where all them have the texture coordinates but it happen the same to them, no texture is ever loaded, just a scale of greys can be appreciated

The DirecTV satellite is inside the Commercial Satellites: Part One: The BOEING 702
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3275"]Commercial Satellites: Part One: The BOEING 702[/ame]

Thanks Orbiters!:thumbup:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Another suggestion:
Remove the textures from the offending groups and see if they show up in Orbiter.
If they do, it has to do with texturing, if they don't it's a geometry problem.

tradx

Reaction score
Hey guys sorry for the late reply, just wanted to let you know that the problem was a geometry issue. I need to redo some of the objects cause manipulateing the geometry was not fixing it but at least I know how to make it work. Thanks again to all of you for helping me out on this:thumbup: