The biggest disaster you have caused in Orbiter

bwog

Reaction score
I crashed the ISS into the Atlantic Ocean, along with a Delta-Glider that was docked to it.

Bendarr

Reaction score
I burned up on ascent in a DGIV. I'm getting better (chuckle).

Yep, most people burn up on re-entry. I did it on ascent.

Pretty though.

Yeah, I was in chicken mode. It wasn't until yesterday where I actually got to orbit successfully.

Burn.jpg

Last edited:

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I was playing in "Windowed Mode" and chatting with a friend in IRC. I had the Shuttle Discovery SLOWLY approaching the ISS for docking and then I decided to type something to my friend. I didn't realize that I hadn't clicked on the IRC window and the first letter I typed was "T". *WHOOSHCRASH !!!!*

Dambuster

Reaction score
Once, I edited the Earth.cfg so that the atmosphere was 1 something high. It was also set for heat to be 999.999.

Run the DGIV heat shield scenario.
Put warpDrive on.

Engine full throttle...

Next thing you know you are orbiting the earth at 40km/s and a temperature of AU_# (that's what it said.)
Press K and the heat shield is bigger than the sun it'self.
Not very good when you have four DGIV's landed on earth.
The goodside is that everything died without knowing.

Ouch, that's fairly serious :lol:

Also, :welcome: to the forums!

zionn

Reaction score
i hit the earth and the earth was turning so fast, that a day, 1 second was :rofl::rofl::rofl:

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score
every time I drop a nuke the universe ends, i'd say thats pretty strange and disasterous. (I think its because bombmfd doesn't like ucgo's, or it could be because its over 9000...)

also a while ago I got an addon that lets you go to new galaxy's, with absolutely no idea what I was doing and faster than light drives I got a crew of 5 stuck in the middle of noplace and managed to lose three of them attempting to deploy the satalite payload to use as a telescope to learn more about the system. I proceeded to plot a course for the star. I missed. I'm sure they ran out of oxygen by now/ should have melted anyway.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Australia + 30 Orions + Whale Probe = COLONY DROP!!!
I'll post screenies once I recreate the incident.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Today I setup an Earth-Jupiter flight plan in TransX (pics are over at the screenshot thread!) and let it go. After a few course corrections, I found I was right on target... into the center of Jupiter. By the time I realized, there was nothing I could do. My DGIV smashed into Jupiter at 5-6 km/s and vaporized instantly. Everyone on board perished before they knew what was happening.

Thank goodness for Auto-save Module! :)
I did basically the same thing when I went to Mars for the first time. I made a good effort trying to save my crew, but there wasn't enough time.

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Not really a disaster but it made for some, er, exciting time.
Departed from Earth orbit on an Arrow freighter with a DGIV-2 in the docking bay, destination Pandora (the new planet, which is beyond Saturn orbit in my config). Perfect ejection burn, perfect trajectory, long booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring trip. I had loaded up with extra fuel, extra O2, probes and an ISRU (I had a crew of 4).

Got into orbit around Pandora-A but expended a lot of fuel since the Arrow doesn't like aerobraking much (I keep wishing for an updated Exploreur vessel, can't get more aerobraking-friendly than that), then transferred to the Pandora moon. Fuel was low so I topped it up with the cargo fuel...

... And silly me I never checked how much fuel was in the containers! They only gave me some seconds of thrust more, with the Arrow bound for a fiery meeting with Pandora-A atmosphere! In true SF action fashion I opened the bay, transferred the crew to the DGIV-2, fired it up, undocked and set IMFD to transfer to Pandora as soon as I cleared the freighter. Now, that was one hasty departure because I was reaching apoapsis and it was starting to fall. Transfer worked, I deployed the MTKSSAT I was carrying in the bay, and since rescue was at this point impossible (the ISRU had remained with the Arrow with no time to recover it), I decided to land on Pandora.

Lo and behold, the air there is perfectly breathable unlike the movie version. Maybe I can still mount a rescue mission to get those poor sods out of bluecatpeopleland. :)

Submariner

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Playing around with Velcro rockets, I just strapped two LRBs (the ones you're supposed to use for the shuttle) to a DGIV and let her fly. The crew were dead from excessive Gs before the LRBs even jettisoned. Then the long, long wait for the DGIV to reach its ballistic apogee (which was over 800 km LOL) then plummet back to Earth to cook in the atmosphere. I really felt a sense of loss for my poor crew! :(

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not really a disaster but it made for some, er, exciting time.
Departed from Earth orbit on an Arrow freighter with a DGIV-2 in the docking bay, destination Pandora (the new planet, which is beyond Saturn orbit in my config). Perfect ejection burn, perfect trajectory, long booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring trip. I had loaded up with extra fuel, extra O2, probes and an ISRU (I had a crew of 4).

Got into orbit around Pandora-A but expended a lot of fuel since the Arrow doesn't like aerobraking much (I keep wishing for an updated Exploreur vessel, can't get more aerobraking-friendly than that), then transferred to the Pandora moon. Fuel was low so I topped it up with the cargo fuel...

... And silly me I never checked how much fuel was in the containers! They only gave me some seconds of thrust more, with the Arrow bound for a fiery meeting with Pandora-A atmosphere! In true SF action fashion I opened the bay, transferred the crew to the DGIV-2, fired it up, undocked and set IMFD to transfer to Pandora as soon as I cleared the freighter. Now, that was one hasty departure because I was reaching apoapsis and it was starting to fall. Transfer worked, I deployed the MTKSSAT I was carrying in the bay, and since rescue was at this point impossible (the ISRU had remained with the Arrow with no time to recover it), I decided to land on Pandora.

Lo and behold, the air there is perfectly breathable unlike the movie version. Maybe I can still mount a rescue mission to get those poor sods out of bluecatpeopleland. :)
Someone should make a movie of that. Or at least an episode of Mayday! Great save with the DGIV, and a good tale from the universe of Orbiter. :)

KKinsane

CAPTAIN PLANET!!
Reaction score
I got a new one, I tried to make Kupier 4b and instead I get what can only be described as a black hole in the center of the sun!

if anyone can get the 5 new planets into config i'd be properly chuffed, I cannot figure out what to do with these 6.234e10's and ascending nodes it gets WAY too into the math.

they do count as planets, right??

Attachments

• loool.jpg
    loool.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 74

Niall

Eructionist
Reaction score
Came back from a two year away mission to Europa in the Arrow Freighter to find my Personal Station scattered across several hundred kilometers of low-earth orbit. Must find out how to combine all the modules, etc into one cohesive station.:(

Warped

Reaction score
The biggest disaster for me was when I spawned a 500kT Nuke in the centre of my DG.

A few seconds later, my crew found themselves in the great unknown.
Nuke.jpg

ikrase

Reaction score
Several Orion related incidents.

Trying to take off from the moon and transfer to the earth. I do not know how to transfer yet. I ended up re-landing on the moon. Hard. But not hard enough to go careening into space. Such an annoying bug.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The biggest disaster for me was when I spawned a 500kT Nuke in the centre of my DG.

A few seconds later, my crew found themselves in the great unknown.
Nuke.jpg
Iapetus? "Way to go kid, that was one in a million." :rofl:

Fco

Reaction score
In the scenario of !asteroids I put an bomb with 100 nine's kT. Then my orbiter are absolutely destroyed. Bye orbiter universe! XD

Chub777

Reaction score
When I slung-shot the moon instead of orbiting it. My crew was stuck in space without any fuel or air...

There was also the time I re-entered at Mach 7, resulting a drop to the ground 10 seconds later:
mach7burnup.png

Last edited:

Foofoo14

Reaction score
Uhhhhh...... Using a harp gun and firing cars at the earth with muzzle velocity set at 50,000 kms+.
I didn't even burn up, in fact i went through the earth.

HAHAAHAHAH! i defied the laws of physics.

Attachments

• 10.02.04 19-58-27 Car.jpg
    10.02.04 19-58-27 Car.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 10.02.04 19-59-39 Car.jpg
    10.02.04 19-59-39 Car.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 50

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
When I slung-shot the moon instead of orbiting it. My crew was stuck in space without any fuel or air...

There was also the time I re-entered at Mach 7, resulting a drop to the ground 10 seconds later:
mach7burnup.png

FYI: Re-entries generally occur at well over mach 20. Unless you meant "Mach 70" then it isn't realy much of a disaster