The bugs need checking and reporting (OpenOrbiter)

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Open noticed issues (to be editing) for the current latest build (Orbiter-x64.zip):
#2, #3, #4, #5, #6
_______
Launchpad -> Scenarios -> Checklists -> Quickstart -> F3 -> GL-02 -> Apply -> start increasing traction (main or hover) -> DG is shaking a lot and goes into outer space.

Launchpad -> Scenarios -> Delta-glider -> Brighton Beach -> select 2D main panel -> enter some (above ground level) height value (clicking the left mouse button on "+") on the hold alt autopilot panel -> press A (by default) or "HOLD ALT" button in standart cockpit -> craft doesn't take off -> this is not synchronized with "HOLD" button on the autopilot panel (the last button works correctly and craft is gaining the set height). Related feature-request: it would be nice to assign two keyboard keys (in the "keymap.cfg" file) for changing the autopilot value without mouse clicking on "+"/"-".

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
#1 sounds like: https://github.com/orbitersim/orbiter/issues/243

I believe it's caused by a few 32 bit DLLs that are feeding NaNs into the grav source part of the state propagation.

These DLLs will need to have modules written for OpenOrbiter. I believe they were originally contributed by @Chode.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If it is "just" the issue of Ephemeris modules compiled as 32-bit, the question is: Is there any reason for that?
Or is the conversion just not yet completed?

EDIT: The issue here has all the info already (y) We "just" need some more sources :D

Last edited:

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
As I can guess, fixing of this problem requires some programming skills. Or maybe is it "routine" work that just takes time? I'd like to help, but I don't know how. My "programming practice" is limited to some simple physics simulations on C++ with gnuplot (in Linux terminal) (code, cycles, formulas :)), although I'd like to start doing something for the OpenOrbiter development (improving). First probably with the basic build. And I'm not familiar with graphic design at all.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe we can replace the old historic planet modules with something newer, that makes more use of data files with tables or directly using JPL SPICE kernels. If we could support the same data sources as this python project, we should be fine:

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Press Ctrl + I. The game frames don't change during the left mouse button is clicked and holding in these position (1st screenshot). It's quite inconvenient during scrolling the window. This "feature" is also present in Orbiter 2016 and Orbiter Beta. It seems that isn't a bug, but it would be nice to repair this.

It's a well known problem in OpenOrbiter, Orbiter 2016 and Orbiter Beta. It's due to "complicated" coastlines in the default Map MFD, which causes FPS drops: 58, 56, 53, 54, 55,... (FPS) (VSync is enabled). It was solved here, but It would be nice to correct this in the basic build (for the default Map MFD).

The same as #4, but for the Map window (Ctrl + M) (2nd screenshot). The same coastlines cause FPS drops (especially during the map dragging with the left mouse button pressed).

Attachments

• i3.png
    i3.png
    641 KB · Views: 18
  • i5.png
    i5.png
    550 KB · Views: 19

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi, I just wanted to ask if there are any ideas about the gravity instability near the Mars surface (so-called Ephemeris modules issue) in OpenOrbiter? Maybe I can help somehow to solve this if the solution is known. Seems it can be a good update for OpenOrbiter afrer the release of January 14.

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi, I just wanted to ask if there are any ideas about the gravity instability near the Mars surface (so-called Ephemeris modules issue) in OpenOrbiter? Maybe I can help somehow to solve this if the solution is known. Seems it can be a good update for OpenOrbiter afrer the release of January 14.
I have some ideas on it. I keep meaning to make a placeholder thread. Essentially what we need to do is replace the ephemerides module for one of the moons of Mars (Phobos?), because its 32 but only and we don't have the source. A lot of the groundwork is already done, it's just having the time to work on it.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Something that is odd is my shuttle and SLS which are MS2015 never leave the pad even though thrusters are applied

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
A graphic feature which is related to lighting (as observed). Try: Scenarios->Delta-glider->Docked at ISS. Then undock and rotate the craft using Num. 4/Num. 6 keys. Noticed both in OpenOrbiter x32 and x64.

Attachments

• Без імені.png
    Без імені.png
    523.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It's a well known problem in OpenOrbiter, Orbiter 2016 and Orbiter Beta. It's due to "complicated" coastlines in the default Map MFD, which causes FPS drops: 58, 56, 53, 54, 55,... (FPS) (VSync is enabled). It was solved here, but It would be nice to correct this in the basic build (for the default Map MFD).
There is a wonderful Low Resolution Earth Map for Map MFD by @asbjos. Maybe we can include his file, for example, coast.vec3 file into Orbiter build on github to replace the default coast.vec which leads to FPS dropping? And naybe we need to manually edit this file a little more, removing or replacing some areas from the Earth map like:

Без імені.png

Although, this:
The same as #4, but for the Map window (Ctrl + M) (2nd screenshot). The same coastlines cause FPS drops (especially during the map dragging with the left mouse button pressed).
causes FPS drops even with this simplified coast.vec3. Maybe we should to completely remove some small areas from the map?