goaowonk

mnlaflojalee
Reaction score
I can't wait to become one more crater there :rofl:

wingnut

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
KSP limitations are a real good reason to assemble your interplanetary ships in orbit.

What is your recipe for preventing wobble during thrusting for modular ships assembled in orbit with docking ports?
Docking things perpendicular to the engine instead of in-line with it always seems to wobble a lot but then the ship becomes very long.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What is your recipe for preventing wobble during thrusting for modular ships assembled in orbit with docking ports?

A low TWR. No need for an interplanetary ship to have a lot of thrust. And a well-aligned center of gravity. And some common sense construction tricks.

The answer is... MOAR TRUSSES

You need trusses, but they count as parts too. So you want to limit the number of them as much as possible.

goaowonk

mnlaflojalee
Reaction score
I was joking sir :thumbup:

Sense common and moderation can solve a lot of problems, and a tiny but complete vessel can do interplanetary travels with less wobbling (and less thrust/fuel consumption) than a monster-size one.

Miniaturization rules :lol:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Try to assemble big ships/stations using the Senior docking ports, they're much more rigid than the regular ones.

Mad Jack Wolfe

Reaction score
Website
www.jw.org
Try to assemble big ships/stations using the Senior docking ports, they're much more rigid than the regular ones.

I finally got around to trying the Sr. docking ports, and I have to say they're pretty dang nifty. I've finally got a decent analogue of the Manned Orbiting Laboratory now.

ankRjqR.jpg

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Thought I should mention that KSP was a special Daily Deal yesterday on Steam and is STILL available for the next 24 hours at 40% off.
I kinda wish it was possible to link my copy to Steam.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It is possible to link the copy to steam :)
Login to the store, click on "profile" and under products purchased you'll see the option to transfer your license to Steam.

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 17

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
Login to the store, click on "profile" and under products purchased you'll see the option to transfer your license to Steam.

From what i remember this option is only available to those who got KSP before the steam release from the KSP store.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score

Sweet! I didn't know this would be possible, having in mind that Steam takes a cut of sales.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Keep in mind that once you've transferred your license to Steam, there's no going back--so if you want a DRM-free version, you need to not convert it.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I just put up my first 3 Geosync satellites. I'm slowly getting there in terms of Kerbal space exploration!

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Keep in mind that once you've transferred your license to Steam, there's no going back--so if you want a DRM-free version, you need to not convert it.

There's no DRM in the Steam version anymore. We felt that it was overly restrictive compared to the KSPStore version and removed it.

If you bought the game before Steam was an option, you should have the option to transfer your account to Steam for free.

Cheers

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
There's no DRM in the Steam version anymore. We felt that it was overly restrictive compared to the KSPStore version and removed it.

If you bought the game before Steam was an option, you should have the option to transfer your account to Steam for free.

Cheers

For the sake of feedback, I'll tell you it transferred smoothly. :cool:
I was just hesitant at first that my Steam login wouldn't be the right 'account name' since Steam links a ton of names and IDs with all different meanings to your account. :p

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Purely out of inane curiosity, how many lines of code does KSP weigh in at now?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Yeah. I can confirm that. I wouldn't be able to run it outside of Steam to test whether executing it (either the 64-bit or 32-bit version) with LC_ALL=C would fix my issue I reported earlier. :p

And now I can run it with Steam executing a shell script (KSP.x86 which executes KSP.x86_64 with LC_ALL=C) instead of the binary (which I renamed to KSP.x86.bin).

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Purely out of inane curiosity, how many lines of code does KSP weigh in at now?

Hmm, it's been a while since I last checked... Let's have another count.

Keep in mind though, that line of code count is an almost meaningless metric for a software project... It's like counting brush strokes for a painter. Also mind that this number includes code from 3rd party libraries included in the project as well.

In any case, using the same metric as last time, I got 217,908 lines of code.

Last time we checked we were around 70k or so, so it's fair to say the project has grown quite a lot recently.

Cheers