Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Samsung has announced it's ending production of the Galaxy Note 7 around the world, pulling the plug on the phone after a months-long controversy over its defective, dangerous batteries. "Taking our customer’s safety as our highest priority, we have decided to halt sales and production of the Galaxy Note 7," said Samsung in a statement. The announcement follows yesterday's news that the company is recalling all Note 7 devices, including the supposedly safe replacement phones.

I have Samsung's previous-gen phone, the S7 Edge -- glad I didn't upgrade to the Note 7! Ouch! :blink:

Apparently the issue goes beyond a batch of defective batteries, since some phones with the replacement batteries are also catching fire.

Full article is here. A related link is Samsung says it's 'working diligently' as fifth replacement Note 7 burns.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Good that it is dead before somebody human was dead. That thing was a digital suicide bomber.

I stopped using Samsung after the Galaxy S3 ... too much Samsung software causing too many problems. I now live happily with a (Motorola) Nexus 6.

APDAF

Reaction score
I am just waiting for I phone 7 to be banned after someone chokes to death on an 'airbud'

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am just waiting for I phone 7 to be banned after someone chokes to death on an 'airbud'

Have you ever seen a lithium ion battery burn?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
too much Samsung software causing too many problems.
Hm? I always just flush all the crap after buying a new phone. Never had any problems.

Have you ever seen a lithium ion battery burn?
As someone who had once forgot a minus sign in a quadrocopter avionics code, i can tell that it's not nice.

First thing you notice is a unique fresh watery smell, then notice the wisps of fog coming out from the where the battery should be in the wreckage, scramble to tear out all the expensive parts and run away when suddenly the smoke starts pouring out, and a couple seconds later a half-on blowtorch worth of flames. Don't last long, but everything over it is burnt to a crisp.
Oddly enough, the stuff directly below it, including other non-punctured cells, is not even warm.

If that was to happen in your pocket you won't get much warning before your pants blow up.

Good call on the recall.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hm? I always just flush all the crap after buying a new phone. Never had any problems.

Samsung even managed to ruin the drivers here. Also removing the software was only possible by rooting it, which was causing its own share of problems then.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If that was to happen in your pocket you won't get much warning before your pants blow up.

Yeah, that's pretty much the point I was trying to make when it was compared to airbuds.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What sort of problems?

Some safety issues during that time (involuntary SSH ports), some incompatibilities with software, some software didn't like rooted smart phones... I decided to wait for it until I have a replacement. Now it is rooted, I wouldn't have had a problem would it have been bricked.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As someone who had once forgot a minus sign in a quadrocopter avionics code

Heh, only realised now that your quadcopter blew up because of a sign error in the code... I used to program CNC Machines a bit more than a decade back, and I have a few experiences with the consequences of inverted signs myself... :shifty:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Never been a Samsung fan, but this is pretty bad.
I once had a Samsung D900i, one of the best phones they've ever had, until they began to produce smartphones.

For now I'm still on a iPhone 6 (great phone too), but I've ordered the Oneplus 3, and it should arrive in the beginning of November.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I hope this also pushes manufacturers to consider using removable batteries again, or at least, ones that only require basic tools to replace.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I hope this also pushes manufacturers to consider using removable batteries again, or at least, ones that only require basic tools to replace.

I doubt it, but even having exchangeable battery back shell would be a huge improvement.

The problem is the insane desire for flatness.

Reaction score
Do we even know what the issue is? (Other than 'the batteries keep exploding'). What's different about the Note 7's battery compared to other phones - have they tried to push the capacity too much? Why were they exploding when not being charged? I haven't seen any detail in all the meeja reports about the why's and how's.

Cheers, WE (a concerned Samsung phone owner...)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do we even know what the issue is? (Other than 'the batteries keep exploding'). What's different about the Note 7's battery compared to other phones - have they tried to push the capacity too much? Why were they exploding when not being charged? I haven't seen any detail in all the meeja reports about the why's and how's.

Cheers, WE (a concerned Samsung phone owner...)

They seem to be a) Much more flat than before and b) are squeezed into a much tighter space than before, which means they can't expand and contract like batteries usually do.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
I think what a lot of people don't understand is these modern high powered smartphones are not easy to make. The public wants larger power hungry displays, more processing power, quick charging and longer battery life. At the same time, they want it stuffed into the tiniest of space as well.

Personally, I've owned iPhones exclusively since 2009 with the iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 5, and iPhone 6. My iPhone 7+ jet black 256GB device is on order and on it's way, and I've been happy with the iPhone and haven't had issues with any of them.

This is a pretty big setback for Samsung because they've now had to completely throw in the towel with the Note 7 while at the same time, Apple and Google are both releasing new devices.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I don't get why people want a phone so thin... What happens if/when you sit on it?