The Space Race - A twisted idea

Master of Blades

Reaction score
With all the talk going on about Virtual Space Agencies, and perhaps even implementing such a thing in an addon, gave me an idea...

Perhaps a Virtual Space race? There was mention of a similar thing in another thread, being played out either on the forum, or by email. The thing I imagined, would go something along the lines of:

• 2 "Agencies" against each other (teams basically)
  • An agency would have a "management", that pirdy much oversees all the agencies operations.
  • An agency would also have a team of "Engineers", or rather addon developers, that develop new spacecraft (now this part is a bit vague, since I'm fully aware of that many addon developers already have work in progress, and of course the annoying factor of real life).
  • "Astronauts" who would pilot the manned missions (due to Orbiter limitations, only 1 "astronaut" per manned mission)
  • Some kind of funding system, probably along the lines of "launching vessel X would cost Y amount of funds, upon success you are granted Z amount of funds, but upon failure, you loose Z amount of funds).
  • Space stations would grant additional funds over time.
  • An end goal, be it a manned moon landing, an LEO orbiting space station or perhaps a manned mars landing.
As you may have noticed, it's still pirdy vague, and would probably need at least 3 people to act just as judges.

But maybe it could play out...

Cheers

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
BARIS (Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space)......:p

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Of course it will, but then again, summer 's comin up, and recently, I've been in the state of "jerk with too much spare time", sitting in a corner wondering why my hair looks like crap D:

I think the main challenge will be to get a "referee-group" together, who can agree on a ruleset... Thinking mainly about the question of wether it will be played out in real time, or if it will be turn-based.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
:speakcool:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think the main challenge will be to get a "referee-group" together, who can agree on a ruleset... Thinking mainly about the question of wether it will be played out in real time, or if it will be turn-based.

I could make referee, if you like this idea:

We use Velcro rockets as technological base. The other campaign rules are done with VBAM as framework.

We have technological and the real year, all teams start at year 19xx.

When you invest adequate funding for research, your technological year will stay equal to the real year. If it is not adequate, your technology will stay behind.

You can only use rocket stages available at the technological year...

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That reminds me of old military wargames, really old ones - those without rules for combat resoultion, when an experts opinion was used for that.

Looks very interesting, I'd like to participate :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well VBAM (Victory by any means) is a military pen&paper campaign framework, developed initially for Babylon 5 Wars. But it is very flexible. We would just have to define the economic factors and special rules.

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Sounds good, I'll have a look into this VBAM, being a tabletop gamer, it shouldn't be too difficult to comprehend D:

I'll post again when I've read a bit.