The twilight craze.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Well, twilight is getting ridiculously obsessive in High School.
It appears that, the Star Wars movies (I am a die hard fan of the moves except clone wars movie and Episode I&II) Is being replaced by it.

The book didn't even become popular intill recently, the book came out in 2006. This is most likely a craze that will last briefly, what do you think about it? Well atleast Teens are reading atleast.

Pilot7893

Epik spaec mishun!
Reaction score
High School? That's nothing. You need to take a quick trip you Youtube.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Decode by Paramore isn't a bad song featured in the movie I think. Um that's all I know about Twilight. Then again, I'm in college and I think we're all just a bit too old for it so...yea...

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
We had Jurassic Park. They have Twilight.

You be the judge...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Don't even begin to compare Twilight to (true) vampires.
Real vampires don't sparkle. That's why all the girls like twilight: the vampires are effeminate and metrosexual.

Deke

The Original AstroNut!
Reaction score
Real vampires don't sparkle. That's why all the girls like twilight: the vampires are effeminate and metrosexual.

Twilight gives a horrible impression of a vampire. First off, why is he outside? No, don't give me the clouds excuse, daylight equals daylight.

There was so much more I found to be a slap in the face to a true vampire, the ones along the lines of a Van Helsing.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
If you think that "true vampies" are Dracula then you are wrong, Dracula created the whole "death by sunlight" concept.

As for Twilight - I loved the movie and love the books. I'm just about to start book 3 of 4.

A little bit of history. The whole vampire story comes out of a medical condition called Porphyria.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
A little bit of history. The whole vampire story comes out of a medical condition called Porphyria.
Not necessarily. A lot of vampire lore concerns corpses after death, which can't really be explained with porphyria.

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
I've read all 4 books (but not seen the movie), but they didn't really do much for me...maybe I'm too old, but I don't know if I would have liked them or not when I was a teenage girl! I know there's a lot of older women who obsess over them (Twilight Moms!), but me...just meh.

----
Edit: I preferred books 1 & 4; 2 & 3 were rather tedious (too much talking!) and I couldn't care less about Jacob.

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The concept of vampires being destroyed by sunlight does not originate from Dracula, but from Murnau's Nosferatu. And that mainly because they needed a finale for the movie. Stoker's Dracula can stroll around in daylight as much as he wants.
A lot of cultures have their own version of the vampire myth, and there is no definite pattern for the creature. Literature, movies and videogames all present different and often incompatible versions. For instance, Underworld vampires breathe and can drown while Legend of Kain and Bloodrayne vampires can't even touch water because it damages them. BtVS vampires are killed by direct sunlight while Moonlight vampires are simply weakened by it. Anne Rice's vampires have no aversion to garlic, holy water and crucifixes but they need to sleep in coffins.
Yes, Twilight turns a lot of the myth upside down (there's a touch of Tuck Everlasting
there as well) but keep in mind it's all derived from a dream (as Stephenie Meyer herself stated) and since vampires as fictional creatures can be made to do everything the author wants them to do, they can sparkle, fly and play Guitar Hero upside-down with their feet.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Try Yahoo Answers.

I wish I had an Euro every time I see a twilight related question in Astronomy & Space.

I don't like Twilight. It is just a boring and badly done teenager story, for people who also love Highschool Musical.

In the real of fantasy, having twilight in the genre makes the Harry Potter stuff look like a close contender to "Lord of the Rings".

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
"Twilight" rings a bell mainly with the female audience, because it's essentially a tale of idealized first love with what many women seem to hold as the "ideal" man: impossibly beutiful, totally caring, immensely powerful yet vulnerable. Any male still single and wondering why, try to read it: it's basically condensed intelligence straight from your target's mind. ;)

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
"Twilight" rings a bell mainly with the female audience, because it's essentially a tale of idealized first love with what many women seem to hold as the "ideal" man: impossibly beutiful, totally caring, immensely powerful yet vulnerable. Any male still single and wondering why, try to read it: it's basically condensed intelligence straight from your target's mind. ;)

Or just read any romance novel...

There's a Facebook group: Because of Edward Cullen, human boys have lost their charm :lol: (I have to admit I joined it ;) - and also I want Carlisle Cullen to be my doctor... - he was actually my favorite character)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I wish I had an Euro every time I see a twilight related question in Astronomy & Space.

I don't like Twilight. It is just a boring and badly done teenager story, for people who also love Highschool Musical.

In the real of fantasy, having twilight in the genre makes the Harry Potter stuff look like a close contender to "Lord of the Rings".

I like it, I'm not a teen at ALL and I don't like high school musical.

I think many of you are missing some of the more subtle subtexts that Stephanie Mayer but into the books and movie.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Any male still single and wondering why, try to read it: it's basically condensed intelligence straight from your target's mind. ;)

Ahem. Following this advice will bring you many female friends, but not a single girlfriend. When having the choice between the perfect cultivated metrosexual man and a rough Neanderthal thug, they will pick the troglodyte. It is inside the genes, they can't do something against it, except announcing they will learn some lessons from their ex-boyfriend.

But deep inside their own Paleozoic parts of the brain, they know what they want: Somebody who hunts bears, competes (ideally physically) with other men for her, and never fails in breeding. :p

Also I suspect women like the challenge of turning you into a perfect cultivated metrosexual man (Before they leave you, because they fell in love with the troglodyte next door).

Most male depictions in such stories like Twilight are so much diluted, that you could place a girl into the same place and let the story be a honest lesbian romance - you would not have to change a single aspect of the plot. :lol:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Ahem. Following this advice will bring you many female friends, but not a single girlfriend. When having the choice between the perfect cultivated metrosexual man and a rough Neanderthal thug, they will pick the troglodyte.

Yes. It is genetically programmed. Women like a bad boy because the bad boy's genes are more likely to survive and so make him and ideal mate for reproduction.