The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Hi everyone!

So last December I told everyone that I was moving out to live on my own (still have to post pics as promised :shifty:). Everyting is going smooth and I really enjoy it! Now I can run 2 computer at the same time, one with FSX, P3D or X-Plane and the other one with Oribter, while I'm at work, without anyone complaining about it :lol:

Work. The subject for this blog post.
February 25th of this year I received a call from my best friends dad. We had a late night conversation earlier that week when I was at their house and we discussed how everything was going, including work. I told him that I was still at the position that I've been on for over a year which was needed because 2 colleagues left the company. This position is not the place where I wanted to be, but it was needed at that time and "it would only be for a couple of months". My job by the way is system administrator / R&D / projects / the place to dump all the problems that needs to be sorted out.
So the conversation continued until the early hours and so, a couple of days later, he gave me a call.

"What are you doing on the March the 10th?" he asked. Work, work, work I replied and then he told me that he was going to a Microsoft event at Microsofts main office at Schiphol and asked if I would like to join him. I was like, "sure why not!" and arranged a day off and joined the man to Amsterdam. After the event, we went to the firm where he worked and I started talking to various people. One the people I talked with was the servicedesk manager. He said he really enjoyed the conversation and ended with "see you later! I'm sure we do".

A week later I got a call. "Hi! You were at our office last week and we would like to invite you for a second meeting."
A second meeting? When was the first meeting? That was not an interview was it?! And I wasn't even looking for a new job! But hey, it can't hurt to do a second meeting.

At the end of April I had a second meeting which was very nice. I was asked if I wanted to specialize in something specific and I admitted that Linux always was my thing. He smiled and said that was something that he liked to hear. After an hour I drove home again, after he explained what they could offer me; certifier programs for red hat, other studies I can follow, nice projects I could work on... It sounded really great.

There was a downside however. With my current job, I know what I have: a contract for undefined time, a car which I can drive privately, a mobile phone that is paid for.. quite some nice things!

May 26th, I went to a third meeting, where to would give me a job offer to think about.
Wow. I wasn't expecting what they offered me. A car (again, which I can drive privately), a compensation for my mobile subscription AND home internet, a contract for undefined time, but most important: a yearly opportunity to get certificates and to educate myself (basically education money).
So after the meeting (which was really great, again) I went home to think it all over.

On Saturday 28th I made the decision to do it. On Monday I walked to by boss and asked if he had a couple of minutes. I explained to him that I found another job which can offer me a direction he can't; the direction of Linux and to get certificates for it. He said his business mind was disappointed but that he personally understood why had chosen to leave the firm.

So, on July first I will start my second job in my career!
Thought to put it on my O-F blog since I always do this when something happens in my life :lol:

Thanks for reading!
Now back to X-Plane to learn to fly the Tu-154m :coffee:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Cool. Being a geek pays off later in life.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I remember that I got a job at university in a pretty informal way: A friend talked about a problem at a research project of his employer, I had nothing better to do on the afternoon, 60 minutes later I had been employed...

Now I am campaigning for becoming senior developer before my hair turns gray...

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Congratulations, fellow linuxer! Skillsets like this are usually in high enough demand that you can afford to dictate where you work and what else you get along with it. Don't be afraid to make positive career decisions for yourself, even if the company you're leaving did need you. They'll cope without you and you won't enjoy staying in a position where you feel overworked and under-utilised. Kudos to you for branching out!

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Congratulations, my friend. It seems to be a rare thing these days, around here anyway, to get a job, and/or career, doing exactly what you want to do in the field you want. I started my IT journey as a hardware/desktop support technician, with hopes to eventually move into a developer role within the company. It took 8 years for that transition, but I built a lot of relationships along the way that would end up benefiting me in my current place in the company, and I wouldn't change a thing.

Enjo is right. The geek shall inherit the Earth.