OHM Titan Atmosphere - v1.0.0

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: cristiapi

This add-on accurately reproduce the atmospheric model of Titan from an altitude of 1380 km to the ground, based on samples collected by the Huygens probe which entered Titan's atmosphere on 14-Jan-2005.

DOWNLOAD

cristiapi

Reaction score
Hi Cras,

Did you try a surface launch and a reentry? I tried some flies to/from Rhea and Iapetus and seemed nice.

It seems that the reentry needs to be very steep (30 deg or more), but that way a "big" delta-V is needed for the deorbit burn.

For the launch, I usually keep the pitch = 80 deg up to about 60 to 70 km, then scram engines (I fly the XR5), then I start to gain orbital speed to put the apogee at about 1500 to 2000 km.

Do you have better profiles?

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
For the launch, I usually keep the pitch = 80 deg up to about 60 to 70 km, the scram engines (I fly the XR5), then I start to gain orbital speed to put the apogee at about 1500 to 2000 km.

Using scram engines on Titan in cheating. :facts: ;)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Why? :lol:
Because there's no oxygen in Titan's atmosphere. That's how ram/scramjets work, the light fuel is carried onboard while the oxidizer is taken directly from the atmosphere.

cristiapi

Reaction score
Then the XR5 scram engines should be revised. :)

There is the Orbiter function (and now I'm serious again) oapiGetPlanetAtmConstants() which returns several atmospheric parameters; between them there is also the partial pressure of oxygen. That parameter could be used to improve the realism of the scram jets.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Because there's no oxygen in Titan's atmosphere. That's how ram/scramjets work, the light fuel is carried onboard while the oxidizer is taken directly from the atmosphere.

Technically one could use a nuclear reactor to heat the airstream.

Or, depending on atmospheric composition, carry oxidizer and get fuel from the airstream, though the methane content of Titan's atmosphere is probably not sufficient to support this.

EDIT: Just realized thread had been quiescent for two weeks before I posted. Move along... Nothing to see here... :blush:

Last edited:

fullarmor2

Reaction score
Install?

In DOC for this it says add line Module_Atm = TitanAtm to the Tiatn.cfg. . My question is where do I add this line at in that cfg file? At the very bottom? That doesn't seem right?

Malky

Reaction score
I, personally, would put it in the Atmosphere block of lines, though it should be indifferent.

cristiapi

Reaction score
Here is the beginning of my "Titan.cfg" file:

Code:
; === Configuration file for Titan ===
Name = Titan
Module = CeBoMo
Module_Atm = TitanAtm

; === Physical Parameters ===
Mass = 1.34527331e+023 ; [kg] gm_de431.tpc 
Size = 2574.73e3       ; http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/?sat_phys_par

but I think that it's not important the location of the lines.

Last edited: