To Developers & The Community (topic of outreach)

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Some of you might have read my thread earlier in time about my new Orbiter website which I am building. I'd like to touch on a few notes and ask some questions...

Developer Homepages: These are fairly debugged and about to enter an Alpha phase, if you would like to participate in Alpha, please comment below or message me and this weekend and I will get in touch with you!

This solution is tested and working so that if you post something to your Developer Homepage it is automatically displayed on the front-end of the website for visitors to see. The homepage can be configured to link to your own website (so that you can incorporate it) or you can make this a website totally about your project and not need your own page.

Developers are able to have multiple homepages, and navigate between them easily.

Additionally, developers can be members of several homepages which they do not 'own' - this way if your project uses 'Sam' and he also helps on 4 other projects, but does not lead his own, he can participate in the blog and website content of all of the project homepages while remaining independent of owning his own homepage.

Email Newsletters: We have the ability to setup a private email newsletter solution, it uses Amazon SES to send the emails and would be Orbiter Branded - just for us. This would allow individuals to subscribe to an email new letter application and Developers to send emails with their own 'brand' applied to their project and if they have their own website (domain name) it can be branded to that as well. While this has a limited number of emails which can be sent out (in the range of 10,000 per day) and limits on how fast those emails are sent, it would give us a private solution which would help in communicating to everyone.

Email Forwarding Accounts: I have a few thousand email forwarding accounts we can use which would give an Orbiter branded email address for developers which the community could use to send emails to you, then you get them at your own personal email account which you can reply from.

Question Time! ..

• Does anyone want to participate in Alpha of the homepages? I'd love to have a few people get on board and help make suggestions on things I can do to improve the solution.
  • Does anyone feel the newsletter solution is a good idea? I'm very interested in getting that going if there is a desire.
  • What do people think of Orbiter branded email forwarding accounts?

:cheers:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Some of you might have read my thread earlier in time about my new Orbiter website which I am building. I'd like to touch on a few notes and ask some questions...

Developer Homepages: These are fairly debugged and about to enter an Alpha phase, if you would like to participate in Alpha, please comment below or message me and this weekend and I will get in touch with you!

This solution is tested and working so that if you post something to your Developer Homepage it is automatically displayed on the front-end of the website for visitors to see. The homepage can be configured to link to your own website (so that you can incorporate it) or you can make this a website totally about your project and not need your own page.

Developers are able to have multiple homepages, and navigate between them easily.

Additionally, developers can be members of several homepages which they do not 'own' - this way if your project uses 'Sam' and he also helps on 4 other projects, but does not lead his own, he can participate in the blog and website content of all of the project homepages while remaining independent of owning his own homepage.

Email Newsletters: We have the ability to setup a private email newsletter solution, it uses Amazon SES to send the emails and would be Orbiter Branded - just for us. This would allow individuals to subscribe to an email new letter application and Developers to send emails with their own 'brand' applied to their project and if they have their own website (domain name) it can be branded to that as well. While this has a limited number of emails which can be sent out (in the range of 10,000 per day) and limits on how fast those emails are sent, it would give us a private solution which would help in communicating to everyone.

Email Forwarding Accounts: I have a few thousand email forwarding accounts we can use which would give an Orbiter branded email address for developers which the community could use to send emails to you, then you get them at your own personal email account which you can reply from.

Question Time! ..

• Does anyone want to participate in Alpha of the homepages? I'd love to have a few people get on board and help make suggestions on things I can do to improve the solution.
  • Does anyone feel the newsletter solution is a good idea? I'm very interested in getting that going if there is a desire.
  • What do people think of Orbiter branded email forwarding accounts?

I think such a homepage could be good for SSU, I'll ask what the rest of the gang thinks about it.

Not that decided on mail forwarding, personally I don't need it right now, I don't have many add-ons that require such contact beyond the capacity of my PN inbox.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

What kind of front-end editor or CMS do you use?

Chuck Tetakel

Reaction score
I would definitely also be interested in such a site. I could imagine it would be a good place to get Feedback for your Projects and show of progress more frequently.

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I would definitely also be interested in such a site. I could imagine it would be a good place to get Feedback for your Projects and show of progress more frequently.

The website itself is up and running, this weekend I'll be accepting requests for Developer Accounts and helping people get started on their pages.

I guess I'll do the spoiler, the website is http://orbiter.community/ - there's a bit more content I'm planning to move over from the development space to the live website tonight.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sounds good. How do I log in to request for developers?

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds good. How do I log in to request for developers?

Accounts are manually created, I will PM you tonight with questions through this forum and then setup your account based on the information you provide. :)

StableIT

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
To Developers & The Community (topic of outreach) Update 1

- Update -
I have done a great deal of testing to find a configuration which works well and is stable, while things are not 100% complete on the new vps, they are running and the website can take on developers who want a wp-based homepage. This website is also designed to streamline our posts on news and information, ultimately leading to one website where the community can go to see update and news at a glance.

- Anything I missed from the prior thread -
Urwumpe - I am sorry, I did not catch your last question on the reply, it is wordpress based, thus it is easy to use and research.

- New Advancements -
Email Newsletter Ability:
I am also looking at the ability for us to push out branded email newsletters for each developer. There is a small cost involved which we'd have to work out somehow, but it ends up costing about $2 for every 10k emails which are sent. Each developer would have their own list, interface and ability to store templates. Each community member could subscribe to as many, or as few, developers as they wish. Developers sending emails would have to abide by very specific rules and understand the system itself push's about 50k emails a day between everyone, making Tuesdays odd.

Migrated Site To VPS:
I setup a vps where the website will reside, this will make it a bit faster and more responsive with it for the most part alone. I am looking to raise funds to support the server, but it's only a few hundred a year so it is manageable.

Option For HTTP Downloads seems do able:
There are some fairly unresolved options on the table for offering the next Orbiter version, in it's 100gb glory, for download via http all as one file or offered in parts that are rejoined as both options are on the table in a few ways each. While it is inconclusive, I need input on how many people would actually pull the file in that way due to timeouts and alike. This helps me scale concurrent connection traps so that the site doesn't go down just because 100 people are on at once :p

I'd like some feedback on the above, again, sorry about that Urwumpe - somehow I missed your last question friend :/

Last edited by a moderator:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
[highlight]O-F Staff Note:[/highlight] 2 threads have been merged. Adding a relevant information on the topic is excempt from the necroposting rule.

It's much easier finding information on the same topic in a single thread.

Posting in the same thread makes the members who subscribed to it, but not to every new topic created notified about new information being added into it (especially that no note about the new thread has been posted on the former thread).

It greatly improves relevance of the thread in search results (e.g. lack of some keywords people can use for searching in the new thread which were used in the original thread may cause the search results return only the no longer updated former thread).​