News U.S. Southeastern Snow disaster Jan 2014

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't know if anyone else has heard about the disaster that has struck the Southeastern United States, but I thought I would create a topic so those of us in the area can let the community know we're ok. Ill put a topic in the basement later about the causes of this since that gets highly political.

I got lucky and my campus cancelled 30 seconds after I left the driveway so I got to watch things from my computer screen and tv.

I talked to Michaeldim last night, he had about a 2.5 hour, 3 mile commute, but made it home ok.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
cold.png

Atlanta, GA: German prediction for tomorrow: -9 to +5°C, clear sunny day

Hey, you have the same weather that we have here.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Yep. 4 inches of snow and everything comes to a screeching halt in metro-Atlanta.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I'm sorry, but how does this qualify as a disaster? I get it that it snows very rarely at those latitudes, but a disaster?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm sorry, but how does this qualify as a disaster? I get it that it snows very rarely at those latitudes, but a disaster?

Its like Northern Germany. One snowflake on the wind screen of a car, and all Audi Drivers go nuts.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There are people that left at 14:00 yesterday that still aren't home at 14:00 today. That's a disaster. As I said, I'll go into the details in the basement later because it's effectively a manmade (politician-made) disaster.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
And Canada is laughing at you.

Even in the UP of Michigan, snowfall is measured in feet, not inches...

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
That disaster is why I'm sitting here at home surfing the internet instead of doing something productive.

And I would classify this as more of a "mess" than "disaster." (For instance, most of us still have power -- loss of power over this whole area would be a real disaster.)

But my wife is indeed "trapped" in town, but fortunately has a fully equipped studio to take refuge in. But she cannot drive the ten miles to get home.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
But my wife is indeed "trapped" in town, but fortunately has a fully equipped studio to take refuge in. But she cannot drive the ten miles to get home.

What happened... SUVs prove to be a big crappy piece of junk when you need offroad capability?

16 km... I used to drive 45 km in much worse weather than what you have. Needed 1.5 hours for a distance that usually took 30 minutes. But I arrived safely. Sometimes I needed more time, when I had to check if somebody who drifted from the road was needing medical attention.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
There are people that left at 14:00 yesterday that still aren't home at 14:00 today.
Why exactly is that?

According to the weather averages it's not that unusual to have snow there in the winter, so the cars should be equipped for below-freezing driving.
At worst, a set of chains in the spare wheel compartment is a must.
And in Atlanta the city there is subway and other sorts of weather-indepedent public transport - does it all fail to work?

There is exactly nothing about it in local news here, and things like CNN are full of political stuff instead of describing the actual problems.

And Canada is laughing at you.
Even in the UP of Michigan, snowfall is measured in feet, not inches...
Sure, we all do well in our home weather. But try to put a snow-ready Canadian into a middle-eastern desert town at summer - how would he do?

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:17 ----------

Ah, so basically the problem was that everyone started moving home at once, thus collapsing all transportation?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What happened... SUVs prove to be a big crappy piece of junk when you need offroad capability?

16 km... I used to drive 45 km in much worse weather than what you have. Needed 1.5 hours for a distance that usually took 30 minutes. But I arrived safely. Sometimes I needed more time, when I had to check if somebody who drifted from the road was needing medical attention.

You don't when no one is moving in front of you. Chains aren't worth a damn.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Chains ??
In 4 inches of snow ????
That's just nuts; here in Colorado ( were I've lived for almost 20 years) I have never even owned a pair of chains; we get snow up to 15 inches here at times and you just deal with it.
Just drive slow, keep moving and keep your distance.
It's not rocket science !

This Atlanta thing is just a joke; laughing my ass off.:rofl:

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Chains ??
In 4 inches of snow ????

I had been driving through 40 cm snow drifts with all-weather tires back then (now winter tires are mandatory)... chains... in the mountains maybe, but here, it is a waste of time, especially if you have such little bit of snow. You would be killing the pavement with 4 inches of snow and chains.

We currently have 10 cm or 4 inches of snow here. Only the bigger roads are cleared. We had some worse traffic chaos on the first day of snow fall, because many people underestimated the slippery roads. But now its back to normal - every morning 3 km traffic jam on the Autobahn to the Volkswagen plant.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Chains ??
In 4 inches of snow ????

It does depend on how steep it is. In Bosnia, chains are a usual sight at 4 inches... because the winter service sucks, and you have lots of roads (especially in towns) with a lot more than 10% steepness.

But give me a VW Golf 2 with good tires and a set of chains, and there's not place I can't go until there's at least half a meter. Though I might freeze to death on the way, because the heating in those things is usually the first thing that fails after the tape deck (yes, tape).

MattBaker

Reaction score
As someone who grew up in the Alps on 800 meters where a "snow disaster" was more than half a meter of snow...not impressed. It's not that hard to check your weather forecasts and prepare for the conditions.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

Nope. They're flatlanders, and don't know how to safely drive on ice and snow. :lol: Also, they don't have many chains or snow tires there. :p

:hmm: Then again, neither do I, but I get more opportunities to learn. Just not this year. :(

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score

Well, no. That would not be it at all.

But thanks for the sentiment. I'll try to return it when something untoward happens in your region of the world.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I suppose this is the north's payback to the south after us southerners laughed at them for overreacting with Hurricanes Irene and Sandy.

At least they're not calling it a "super storm."