Discussion UDVC (Universal Dynamic Virtual Cockpit) - interests you?

read my idea then let me know how much it interests you

• meh...

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • could be useful to some...

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • huh, nice! - wouldn't mind seeing that in action

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • whooa, dude! that's really something!

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • WHOOOT! OMG! DO IT! DO IT NOW!!

Votes: 21 39.6%

• Total voters

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
don't go voting before you read - listen up! :idea:

this is an idea i find bouncing around my head whenever i take a break from working on the G42 an go for a "real" flight...
i can't seem to bring myself to enjoy flying craft without DVC's anymore... it always feels like there's something missing...

i believe many orbinauts would agree to some extent, would you not?

so i figured a very Dan-Steph-like way of addressing this - i call the project UDVC :blink:

in a very UMMU/UCGO spirit, the plan here would be to devise a universal cockpit/dashboard, with a simple SDK or .cfg setup that could be attached to ANY vessel :hmm:

while the panel would be mostly fixed and modelled to look as "generic" as possible, the "shell" around it could be changed to match the windshield layout of the targeted craft, look like a set of screens, or even to look like a control room (for unmanned stuff like the :probe: we hail)

this could be done by "attaching" a separate vessel object - it would then appear in the F3 popup as a separate ship, which would "parasitically" control whatever it's set to... this method allows you to add a VC to any existing craft, without it having been made with the UDVC SDK, and regardless of if already having its own VC :rolleyes:

the UDVC SDK would then allow more advanced addons to add custom controls (knobs, switches) to modular areas of the otherwise generic panel...

anyways, i have most of the concept figured out... i just thought i'd probe around for how much interest there is for this, as it would require me to divert some attention from my pet project (the G42)

i'm generally confident i'd be able to pull this off a lot faster than the G42, tho... there's really not much concept work involved... would just be a matter of getting my down and dirty with it for a while :p

whadda you say? (you can vote the poll now)

edit --

this is what it'd mostly look like:
picture.php

whatever comes beyond that panel would be interchangeable, so you could choose between a triple-head monitor setup, a control room, command bridge, etc... or load up a custom mesh via the SDK/CFG thing :rolleyes:

the areas marked "MP" are the modular control panels, where addons could define a custom switchboard interface for whatever they need :cheers:

Last edited:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
I wait for ages that someone make that. :thumbup:
If is possible to be compatible with SC3 and artlav SC3 converter.
Adding and VC option with image like in DG,pressing F8 switch between 3d cockpit and 2d with image...
I can't support you with coding but you have my spiritual support. :lol:

:hailprobe:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
This would be awesome for some of the spacecraft 3 ships that have rendered cockpits but no usable controls!! my fav is a particular jedi starfighter that is really well made. sorry can't remember who made it I'm at work... :shifty:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm working on expanding the SC3 format (that my converter accepts) to include control elements and some instrumentation into the VC of a vessel.
I don't think our work intersect, however, you want to make a generic VC and model attachable to any vessel, i make a framework for defining a VC from ini file of specific vessels with user-made model.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I would love to see something like this.

For those of us who like to build but lack C++ skills it would be a godsend.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Applaud both projects. This is definitely a "breakthrough" technology for craft designers.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
I think the poll results speak for themselves. This would be most useful indeed!

It could in theory open up a whole new field in addon making, DVC addons.
Many ship designers tend to consider their work complete once they get the external model working in the sim... This would enable others to create DVCs for such craft, even without having access to the source files.

Also, since the UDVC idea is to parasitically attach the vc to the craft, you could just make a dvc for any ship you wish... Much like a repaint, only it wouldnt even require a texture template :)

I say go for it, if I had the time, I'd help out as well.

Cheers

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
I believe this would be a wonderful addon! I can already picture the hundreds of new vessels all with shiny new VC. In my opinion Virtual Cockpits are essential in good, high quality ships. (No offense to anyone, Ships can be awesome without vc's). This would add a new piece of reality to this Sim! I can only hope this will actually get developed!