UMMU'S unrealistic dieing

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking of unrealistic situations, I recently brought my perilune down to about 10 metres, and EVAd a UMMU before positioning him so that he scraped the lunar surface with his feet. He survived un-harmed, so I guess the UMMUs only respond to vertical speed when judging impacts.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
My UMMU's survive on Jupiter. Not only, that they can walk on the Surface of that Gas-planet.
I thought Gravity is like g-forces and the Ummu's shold die at 96G.

Jamesep3

Reaction score
Also it depends where you land in the water you can land with a much higher verlocity same for soft snow however if you were to hit steel ant high speeds. Ouch. See the problem is you can't get total realism well right now in orbiter so don't worry too much.:cool:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
but the Gravity IS a cind of G-forces. It doesn't bugs me, that you can walk on Jupiter (but they could create a mini-planet with a giant Atmosphere).

I want that the UMmu dies at gravity.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought Gravity is like g-forces and the Ummu's shold die at 96G.
The gravity on jupiters "surface" is barely more than 2 Gs ;) And I don't think they should die at 96. 96 Gs, that's 96 times your own body's weight on your breast, i.e. somewhere between 5 and 10 tons...
It's probably 9.6 or somesuch.

Also, I don't know wheather UMMUs watch outside pressure when in a pressure suit. (not that that would help, since jupiters atmosphere isn't moddeled in Orbiter anyways).

(but they could create a mini-planet with a giant Atmosphere)

Leads to trouble with textures. Jupiter would look like crap if you model it that way in orbiter. Anyways, you WOULD NOT die because of gravity forces when falling into a gas giant. You'd die of pressure. You'd need a pretty tough submarine like vehicle to dive into this atmosphere.

but the Gravity IS a cind of G-force

err... Gravity is THE G-force. that's what the G stands for. 1 earth gravity, 9.81 m/s^2. Since tha is acceleration, we can measure other accelerations by the same unit, hence you can aply the unit "G" to every acceleration. But that means nothing more than that you compare this acceleration to the acceleration caused by gravity on the surface of the earth, hence gravity is the only "real" G-force.

Last edited:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
they could use the very thick atmosphere as the surface of the olanet, wich is gas. Then the planet would be out of atmosphere and that would be gas than. So you would fly through Jupiter realistical.

that's from wikipedia:

Jupiter is 2.5 times the mass of all the other planets in our Solar System combined—this is so massive that its barycenter with the Sun lies above the Sun's surface at 1.068 solar radii from the Sun's center. Although this planet dwarfs the Earth with a diameter 11 times as great, it is considerably less dense. Jupiter's volume is equal to 1,321 Earths, yet the planet is only 318 times as massive.[5][21] Likewise, Jupiter has a radius equal to 0.10 times the radius of the Sun,[22] but is only 0.001 times the mass of the Sun.[23] A "Jupiter mass" (MJ or MJup) is often used as a unit to describe masses of other objects, particularly extrasolar planets and brown dwarfs. So, for example, the extrasolar planet HD 209458 b has a mass of 0.69 MJ, while CoRoT-7 b has a mass of 0.015 MJ.[24]

Theoretical models indicate that if Jupiter had much more mass than it does at present, the planet would shrink. For small changes in mass, the radius would not change appreciably, and above about four Jupiter masses the interior would become so much more compressed under the increased gravitation force that the planet's volume would decrease despite the increasing amount of matter. As a result, Jupiter is thought to have about as large a diameter as a planet of its composition and evolutionary history can achieve. The process of further shrinkage with increasing mass would continue until appreciable stellar ignition is achieved as in high-mass brown dwarfs around 50 Jupiter masses.[25] This has led some astronomers to term it a "failed star", although it is unclear whether the processes involved in the formation of planets like Jupiter are similar to the processes involved in the formation of multiple star systems.

Although Jupiter would need to be about 75 times as massive to fuse hydrogen and become a star, the smallest red dwarf is only about 30 percent larger in radius than Jupiter.[26][27] Despite this, Jupiter still radiates more heat than it receives from the Sun. The amount of heat produced inside the planet is nearly equal to the total solar radiation it receives.[28] This additional heat radiation is generated by the Kelvin-Helmholtz mechanism through adiabatic contraction. This process results in the planet shrinking by about 2 cm each year.[29] When it was first formed, Jupiter was much hotter and was about twice its current diameter.[30]

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter#Mass)

Ok the Gravity isn't proportional to the mass because you are more far away from the center of mass on a bigger planet, but recognize: 96 is very less than that 1,321x318.

I read that 96 at some very reliable texts and in Orbiter jupiter has really a very more mass than earth:

earth:

; === Physical Parameters ===
Mass = 5.973698968e+24
;Size = 6.378165e6 ; equatorial radius
Size = 6.37101e6 ; mean radius
JCoeff = 1082.6269e-6 -2.51e-6 -1.60e-6 -0.15e-6
; harmonic coefficients for shape description

Jupiter:

; === Physical Parameters ===
Mass = 1.8986111e+27 ; mass [kg]
Size = 6.9911e+7 ; mean radius [m]
JCoeff = 0.01475 ; J2 coefficient for gravitational potential
AlbedoRGB = 2.02 1.99 1.86

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
O-F Staff Note: German posts moved to a new thread in the International Forum titled UMMu, gravity, and g-forces. Let's please keep this thread in English, but feel free to continue the discussion in German in the other thread. :cheers:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
No worries at all, mate! :) The staff generally doesn't move non-English posts to the International Forum unless there are more than one or two, and even so it's just to keep the threads tidy. :cheers: