OHM V-2 Rocket

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I'm confident we may be able to get some data out of the Bumper flights. There must be at least a graph with speed x altitude x angle somewhere.

An alternative possibility would be to use Google Earth and derive aproximate coordinates by matching the earth images on this video:

:)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would say, if somebody makes a DLL (*look-into-mirror*) there should be a KML and HTML export. :)

The aerodynamics of the V-2 are another problem... not sure if there are NACA reports of it.

If not I could look into German university libraries for historic sources.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And did it simply crash after re-entry ? Or was there a separatable payload (like plants, mices, etc...) with a chute ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
the rocket structure was weakened with dynamite in 50 km altitude

They did it the subtle way back then :blink:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They did it the subtle way back then :blink:

Well, the NASA report explains a lot about this choice: There had been only a limited number of V-2 available and those had been badly unreliable, with half of the launches being a failure.

It simply made no sense to develop a separation system or large enough parachutes.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
bumperwac.jpg

Data exists!

Army/JPL diagram of anticipated Bumper-WAC trajectory, drawn circa 1948 during early planning for the two-stage rocket missions, included note on expected burnup of the reentering second stage at about 30,000 feet due to severe heating undergone by the rocket as it fell into the thickening air at hypersonic speeds. The diagram proves that reentry heating phenomena were actually considered at this early date. In fact, the prediction was probably accurate, since nothing but portions of the tail section of the WAC stage were found after the 24 February 1949 flight.

Last edited:

Gothmog

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I wasn't standing on my head when I put this into my Orbiter 2010 folder, but for some reason when I start the engine, it drills straight down into the earth; it seems to be accelerating, too, as its last trace disappears into the ground.

What in the world could be causing this? Has anyone else had a similar experience, either with this add-on, or with any other? Looking at the config file, I see that the thrust is a positive number as it should be.

thammond

Reaction score
When this scenario loads there is no vehicle or anything to control.

I've got the same problem. All the scenarios for this addon load but there is no rocket. I'm Running 2010P1 with D39 and spacecraft4 installed. It's been awhile since I've used Orbiter and not exactly sure where to start looking for a solution, so if anyone can help troubleshoot I would be grateful.

I realized what I did wrong. When Installing the D39 Client, I did not create the symbolic link as required.

NextBigLeap, that may be your problem with it also.

Last edited: