Velcro Saturns V1.0

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Well, that Saturn V with probe payload isn't too realistic anyway, as you wouldn't use a three-stage Saturn V for max LEO payload; you'd use a two-stage.

Looks like that scenario is also not correctly updated. Back off the probe mass to 109000 and see what it does for you.

Something else to fix for v1.02, looks like. Anyone have anything else?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
OK, AMSO works now that I've got things flipped, and yes, it inserts into orbit in a much more civilized fashion... And when I use a larger booster with AMSO...

Did you know that if you use the MS-V-24(L) you can get Apollo into orbit with 5% fuel or so left on the 2nd stage, which means that you have the entire fuel load of the SIVb to do whatever you please with? I like this...

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
I've been fiddling with the Saturn C-3 dual launch scenario. I tried replacing the S-IV stage on top with an S-IVb, and something very interesting happened...fuel remaining on-orbit went DOWN! The C-3's second stage is very underpowered.
So instead I'm just trying boosters on the stock C-3 so that there's enough fuel remaining in the S-IV's on-orbit to boost the stack to the moon. By adding 4 UA1205's on each rocket, you wind up with just enough (60% for the Apollo, 80% for the LM) that it can be done, using fuel transfer AND each stage in a two-perigee-kick maneuver. It's a pain, and the problems inherent in the docking-port-stealing routine aren't helping, but it looks like it can be done!

Now to fix the time so that the scenario is in-plane of the moon, and I'll include my fixed version in v1.02, too. At last, it'll be possible to do a dual-launch Apollo...which was kinda one of the things I really wanted to do with Velcro Saturns....

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Did you know that if you use the MS-V-24(L) you can get Apollo into orbit with 5% fuel or so left on the 2nd stage, which means that you have the entire fuel load of the SIVb to do whatever you please with? I like this...

Oh, yes. Fun, isn't it? Endless fun.... Mwahahaha.....

Linguofreak

Reaction score
It would also be nice to see a quick and dirty treatment of the Manned Venus Flyby with this... I think NASSP is planning to implement this in great detail eventually, but in the meantime...

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Venus will have to wait for a later time, I think.

Okay, v1.02 at Orbithangar. Fixed the Saturn V Probe mass, fixed the order so that Saturn V AMSO works as designed. Created a Saturn C-3a scenario, which is just a pair of Saturn C-3's with UA1205 boosters, which give you enough oomph that you can accomplish a dual-launch Apollo mission now.
Also added the Apollo SM and LM Descent Stage as usable Velcro stages. It should now be possible to do lunar logistics missions.