Project VesselBuilder for Orbiter

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Fred,

Will you be able to add info by keyboard, for the systems you already know ? Like for example, when using a vehicle that already exists, and you just want to use your program to update a vessel.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
About the video above, developers should use mesh names and folder a bit better...
It's a mess to sort out what mesh to load from that listing!

Yep the mesh and textures folders rapidly become a mess when installing many addons because not all the developers have a tidy approach. The use of the VesselBuilder may also push in that sense, since the users will now load meshes directly from the file explorer, so it could become natural to properly organize them in folders.

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:37 ----------

Fred,

Will you be able to add info by keyboard, for the systems you already know ? Like for example, when using a vehicle that already exists, and you just want to use your program to update a vessel.

I'm not sure I completely understand but if you mean simple typing of course yes: every input can be made also by keyboard. Meshes, coordinates, numbers, everything can be done via keyboard.
Also remember that all the information you see from the dialog is then stored in the cfg file. So if you want to change a parameter you can also edit directly the cfg (keeping in mind that everything is there for a reason, so changes to numbers will be ok, but messing up with the parameters no).

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

In the meantime here's the Virtual Cockpit section working!

In the video you see the reconstruction of the VC of the DeltaGlider in less than 10 minutes. Of course we are not talking about complex instruments or customized functions. But for Virtual Cockpit Positions, HUD and MFDs.

In the video just MFD LEFT and Right are defined, but there can be up to 12, that is the maximum orbiter allows.

The system the module uses for MFD buttons is the following:
the buttons are organized in three blocks: pwr-sel-mnu, left column, right column. For each section the user will have to define the first and the last button center and then the module will calculate all the intermediates.
The beauty of this is also that, even though for common understanding the names mentioned in the dialog are top left- bottom right etc.., the actual placement of the buttons can be anyone the user will like (for example an horizontal row above and an horizontal row below the screen, or two columns next to each other).

Have fun!

Zandy12

Add-on Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow. That is good. That is really really good. *Peter Griffin's voice*

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Beacons Up and Running, working on lights

DG_Beacons.gif

with the relevant control window

VB_Beacons.jpg

Last edited:

Major_Tom

Reaction score
Just what we needed all this time. Will we be able to animate the XR2 cockpit same way?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just what we needed all this time. Will we be able to animate the XR2 cockpit same way?

Any mesh, so I don't see why not.

Of course, as mentioned, for Virtual Cockpit only positions, HUD and MFDs will be available, custom instruments cannot be implemented in a general module like this.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking Good. Did the ISS version get released or will this replace that.

Will you make a 2010 version?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looking Good. Did the ISS version get released or will this replace that.
the ISS AtoZ unique vessel will be a vessel utilizing this. think like Vinka's modules: you use SC3 to prepare vessels. Here you will use this. The setups for the ISS AtoZ UV is not ready, it will take sometime to finish it after this module is released.

Will you make a 2010 version?

No, I don't think so: I will make first the Orbiter2016 release, then the OrbiterBeta version that will gets updated when there is an update in the Beta and that's it.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I guess this is for space vessels as opposed to ground vessels?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So I guess this is for space vessels as opposed to ground vessels?

if you mean as opposed to GeneraVehicle yes, for the time being I don't plan to merge the two. There is room to experiment with docking and attachments to use both, but merge them for the time being would be very difficult.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Will you be able to mount lights on moving attachments ?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Will you be able to mount lights on moving attachments ?

Oh boy, I haven't thought about this option... I'll see if I can make it but this is a very difficult one.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Would be a show stopper for lights on EVA guys or moveable cameras.

Moveable attachments are a must IMO.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Would be a show stopper for lights on EVA guys or moveable cameras.

Moveable attachments are a must IMO.

I think you haven't watched the video of the robotic arm creation.
Attachments can be linked to any animation and users will be able to create infinte robotic arms with infinite attachments that will move accordingly.

I understood your question in the sense of having a light emitter that moves along with the attachment WITHOUT creating a new vessel that is just the spotlight. That is more difficult. The old fashion of making a spot light vessel, an attachment and just attach on to the other will be a walk in the park now. But I'm trying to make things as complete as possible in order to avoid this approach of having 100 vessels in a scenario but a good infrastructure that allows the user to do the most within the same vessel.

Anyway while I was writing I thought that linking the position of a light to a specific attachment is relatively easy, so I will work on this: the user will then be able to create a robotic arm with a light on top of it which moves together with the arm.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I did watch the video, for sure. :thumbup:

Having a light attached, with out another vessel being attached, is what I asking about.

Thanks

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I implemented the function and it seems to work:
once a light is created, users will be able to decide whether to specify the position and direction explicitely or to choose an attachment to refer to.
The only issue about this is that the process is irreversible, you can't change your mind later on, you'll have to delete the light and recreate it without the link to the attachment. Nothing serious anyway. I'll post a short video soon to show it

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You are the man.

:hail:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Lights Almost done... it means that the module is almost ready for the pre-release. I'd like to fix a couple of things first, and maybe add an exhaust definitions sections that will add the only customization that is possible in the API not possible at the moment in the VesselBuilder...
Then I think I will post here a pre-release so people could start to get familiar with the module and highlights issues and bugs, while I'll start to develop the Events sections that will add a very significative functionality to this module.

In the meantime here are the lights:

Creation Dialog:
VB_Lights_creationdlg.png

Point Lights Dialog
VB_Lights_pointdlg.png

Spot Lights Dialog
VB_Lights_spotdlg.png

Final result (a point blu light and a red spotlight active)
VB_Lights_blue.png

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Looks fantastic! This will take some time to test in full.

I don't have much time right now, but will try to give it high priority.
I'll try to rebuild the AAPO add-on using this, seems like a good test, starting with the Apollo CMS.