Gaming Violence in video games

Keatah

Reaction score
What is little known is pathway damage in the reward circuit. This can be caused by rock'n'roll or videogames.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What is little known is pathway damage in the reward circuit. This can be caused by rock'n'roll or videogames.

You mean feeling great when being drunken, almost nude, sweating and very hoarse (which doesn't matter, because the tinnitus in your ear is preventing you hearing your own voice anyway)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
You mean feeling great when being drunken, almost nude, sweating and very hoarse (which doesn't matter, because the tinnitus in your ear is preventing you hearing your own voice anyway)

sounds like you've had experience with this matter....

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
oh god... its hard to imagine anyone from here drunk off their ass:lol:

You are not drunk until you can't lay flat on the floor without holding yourself fast.

Also, what is the problem with some whisky or some goodgermanbeer (one word)?

(Aside of the fact, that alcohol causes likely far more deaths than video games)

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
didnt notice that my post became a new thread, oh well, time to break out the [rant] code :p

its a PROVEN fact that we develop our personalities and basic behavioural patterns based on our exposure to other peoples' personalities and behaviour. its currently accepted that if we simulate violent and otherwise negative emotions and behaviours in our media (everything from console games to movies and music) that we will absorb some of this into our own personality, a case of "monkey see- monkey do"

now, at a young age, this process is accelerated, due to the fact that our personality and behaviours are developing, much like that we learn languages much faster and develop many peripheral identities (left or right handedness for example)

this is the basic theory behind game ratings. if a game exposes the player to high levels of violence (like warfare games do), then it is understandable to keep this away from children as much as possible, since they will imitate these behaviours much faster.

the problem with judging our own behaviour is that we take our own behaviour to be the norm, and any judgement we make about ourselves is biased. in simple terms, we dont notice that our behaviour changes, until it is changed for good (and you realise that you would never have done/said something that you just did)

of course, different people "absorb" personalities and behaviours at different rates, so some people will be able to play hardcore war games and hardly be affected, and some will imitate anything they see as a natural reaction to the new personality.

if you want to try something for yourself, take a period in your daily/weekly schedule, where you dont do much mental activity, like a train/bus journey (as long as you're not the driver :p) or a lesson/lecture covering things you already know (either due to orbiter or earlier education) and simply listen to music.
on one day, listen to the most hardcore music you like, in my case, this ranges from Nirvana and AFI to Breaking Benjamin (youtube if you need some ideas). notice how you take on an active state of mind, the fast music and harsh melodies affect your immediate personality, a similar process to what i described earlier, but it is only short-term
then, on another day, listen to some slower, mellower music, like Coldplay, Moral Black eyed peas (the songs "Where is the Love" and "One Tribe" spring to mind here) or the Verve
now, you will be in a much calmer state of mind, depending on the music, I also find it makes me more polite or friendly to other people as well

if that doesnt convince you that we absorb the emotions, personalities, ideas, morals and behaviours that we are exposed to, then i'll never convince you.

thats what i found after a little reading and personal experimentation (the music method)

the glory of this, is that if one person alters their behaviour through what they choose to expose themselves to, they will then alter their exposure to other people, so over thousands of years, the accepted morals and behaviours of humankind could be re-written, making EVERYONE a more polite person. or it could work the other way, making the world a darker place full of less polite people.

thats all i have right now, since this is the end of a 16 hour day for me, i think its time for bed. ZZZzzz

i hope you try out the music method for yourself, it opens up a line of thought that can go anywhere [/philosophical suggestions]

happy emotions people!

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
didnt notice that my post became a new thread, oh well, time to break out the [rant] code :p
happy emotions people!

i dont know why the orginal post is buried in there :S

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i dont know why the orginal post is buried in there :S
Those posts that had been moved from the BF3 thread came before your split thread. Moving posts doesn't affect their time stamps, so they were placed in chronological order - before your OP.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
ohhhhhhhh....cant you fix it, pwetty pweez?:)

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
But you have to say, they are at least well-done recruitment apps.
Really, I spent the better part of a day waiting for AA3 to download through Steam only to be met by connection errors for every server, come to think of it, that's ingenious. :hmm:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
the problem with judging our own behaviour is that we take our own behaviour to be the norm, and any judgement we make about ourselves is biased. in simple terms, we dont notice that our behaviour changes, until it is changed for good (and you realise that you would never have done/said something that you just did)

!

Okay from a third person perspective I play violent games and I've never been in a single physical fight. I never make threats of violence or death threats. I myself could never imagine hurting or killing someone unless it was the absolute last resort(ie threating my life or someone else's) These are the observations of friends and family.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
AA is just retarded...period. cod and battlefield do that job just perfect

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
AA is just retarded...period. cod and battlefield do that job just perfect

Call of Duty is generally one of the most unrealistic games I've ever seen. AA3 does a far better job of simulating a military enviroment.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Call of Duty is generally one of the most unrealistic games I've ever seen. AA3 does a far better job of simulating a military enviroment.

I can agree there. CoD is as realistic as an action movie. BF2 was pretty unrealistic as well, but at least fun and well-balanced. And some mods made it pretty realistic.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
iv been a game nerd for 15 years. iv beaten all of the GTAs and the origional conker's bad fur day (if uv played it, u know, lol)

ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you that im one of the most relaxed people that they know. i think playing video games has taught me to deal with situations rationally as opposed to freaking out and raging like i see most "normal" people.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I can agree there. CoD is as realistic as an action movie. BF2 was pretty unrealistic as well, but at least fun and well-balanced. And some mods made it pretty realistic.
Personally, the most realistic FPS game I've played is Red Orchestra, and it's a lot of fun, it didn't get as boring as COD or BF.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Personally, the most realistic FPS game I've played is Red Orchestra, and it's a lot of fun, it didn't get as boring as COD or BF.

My all-time favorite FPS will be DeltaForce III.