VOSSA Mission Roster

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's what Gary asks. Have you done any calculations before going on a mission?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
In what way are you talking, if its about time, ive split the mission into 2 parts, with a wide gap in between that can simulate the probe travelling.

Ok, sounds good - how long? It's taken MESSENGER 7 years.

Part 1 will involve a Launch and Begin transfer.
Part 2 will involve a burn to get into orbit of the planet(and in some missions, deorbit)

right but to get into Mercury orbit you'll need a certain amount of delta-v (change in spacecraft velocity) to slow it from inter-planetary speed to Mercury orbital speed. Do you know how much that'll be?

im still not sure weather we will use a Delta IV or an Atlas V,
Shouldnt an Atlas V(With Centaur staging) have enough Delta V to reach mercury?

I don't know. I haven't sat down and worked the maths out. Did you pick a random date or is there a launch window for Mercury on that date? Messenger was launched on a Delta-II but it took 7 years to get to Mercury and involved multiple slings.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh for the love of...

Why do you people continue to torment us with opening ever more threads? You have your own forums for that. And we *don't* want to see what you do with your VSA, no matter how new it is! It's not interesting and opening up a gazillion threads about it is just that much more annoying.

At least use the blog system for updates and not a thread, so it's not all up in our face.

Nazban

Reaction score
right but to get into Mercury orbit you'll need a certain amount of delta-v (change in spacecraft velocity) to slow it from inter-planetary speed to Mercury orbital speed. Do you know how much that'll be?

Well, i saw that the Delta-V required totally(Orbital departure and insertion) would be around -17.14.
Im not sure about the Delta-V an Atlas V gives, however, i saw that messenger was launched by a boeing Delta II rocket, and i thought that a Delta V has more Delta-V than the Delta II, is this true? I actually dont know which rocket has more Delta-V

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Oh for the love of...

Why do you people continue to torment us with opening ever more threads? You have your own forums for that. And we *don't* want to see what you do with your VSA, no matter how new it is! It's not interesting and opening up a gazillion threads about it is just that much more annoying.

At least use the blog system for updates and not a thread, so it's not all up in our face.

I am saying again, seriously once ericevan has put up the forums again(dont ask me why he put it down),i will stop posting VSA related threads here.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Well, i saw that the Delta-V required totally(Orbital departure and insertion) would be around -17.14.
Im not sure about the Delta-V an Atlas V gives, however, i saw that messenger was launched by a boeing Delta II rocket, and i thought that a Delta V has more Delta-V than the Delta II, is this true? I actually dont know which rocket has more Delta-V

It doesn't work that way. Sure a Delta-V can loft a bigger payload than a Delta-II but most of that ends up scattered over the floor of the Atlantic. Once you have the probe in Orbit you still have just the upper stage and the probe. What's the point of using a Delta V to get it there if a Delta II can do it?

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you done any calculations for any of these missions thus far? Are you positive all of them will work?

EricEvan

VOSSA Director/Founder
Reaction score
I am saying again, seriously once ericevan has put up the forums again(dont ask me why he put it down),i will stop posting VSA related threads here.

The forums are back up. Sorry about them being down. I was converting the website to a content management system and it redirected them to it's installer. Also, I needed to delete the database for forums. However, all of the data has been restored from a backup I made before deleting them.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
As so many have pointed out, you guys need a serious timeout to "get it in one sock." And sadly you still don't seem to recognize this.

As history has shown us, VSAs are difficult enough to get up and running, let alone maintain. Step back for a day or two, then re-read some of your posts here...maybe you could see the damage you're doing to your own credibility.

Then again, maybe not...

But right now, you come across like a couple of kids fighting over the last cookie. Not the image you want to leave in peoples minds if you expect to be taken seriously.

EricEvan

VOSSA Director/Founder
Reaction score
As so many have pointed out, you guys need a serious timeout to "get it in one sock." And sadly you still don't seem to recognize this.

As history has shown us, VSAs are difficult enough to get up and running, let alone maintain. Step back for a day or two, then re-read some of your posts here...maybe you could see the damage you're doing to your own credibility.

Then again, maybe not...

But right now, you come across like a couple of kids fighting over the last cookie. Not the image you want to leave in peoples minds if you expect to be taken seriously.

You're right, this isn't the best place to discuss all of our internal issues. However, we are very organized for just starting a week ago, as you can see we have a schedule above. This gives us time to organize ourselves even more before our first non-test mission. The one we just did was somewhat of a test to see if we could use mission control.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Your schedule is something of a myth for interplanetary missions though. Your Mars mission starts in May. There isn't a Mars launch window then.

By the way, do you have the logs from the chat room mission? I'd like see how your mission control went.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Look, you don't have to justify anything to me.

But as Gary & Wishbone tried to tell you, that's a pretty ambitious schedule to announce when you haven't planned any of them.

Yes, any "organization" (and apparently, I'm using the term pretty loosely here) will have growing pains. Airing them in public is not in your best interests.

Present your concept when you've actually got something to show. Your aim should be to come across as polished, knowlegable and capable. You want people to think, "Yeah, I want to be a part of that," not a train wreck that people stare at out of morbid curiosity.

Last edited:

EricEvan

VOSSA Director/Founder
Reaction score
Look, you don't have to justify anything to me.

But as Gary & Wishbone tried to tell you, that's a pretty anbitious schedule to announce when you haven't planned any of them.

Yes, any "organization" (and apparently, I'm using the term pretty loosely here) will have growing pains. Airing them in public is not in your best interests.

Present your concept when you've actually got something to show. Your aim should be to come across as polished, knowlegable and capable. You want people to think, "Yeah, I want to be a part of that," not a train wreck that people stare at out of morbid curiosity.

I wasn't trying to justify it to you. I was only trying give my opinion. And I totally agree about not showing the "growing pains" thing. We need to move that kind of stuff off of this forum.:thumbup:

---------- Post added at 10:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Your schedule is something of a myth for interplanetary missions though. Your Mars mission starts in May. There isn't a Mars launch window then.

By the way, do you have the logs from the chat room mission? I'd like see how your mission control went.

Lol, thanks for reminding us about the launch window thing.:tiphat: According to my calculations, the next window is December 4, 2011. I'll forward that on to Nazban so he can edit his post above.

About the chat logs: Sorry, I do not have them. There was so much spam and trolling in them that it was too hard to sort it out. However, next launch we're going to attempt to use a system where only we can chat, however others can observe. I'll be sure to keep those logs and post them for you!:)

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Lol, thanks for reminding us about the launch window thing.:tiphat: According to my calculations, the next window is December 4, 2011. I'll forward that on to Nazban so he can edit his post above.

Launch windows are pretty important things for a space agency to consider. Especially one thinking of real world operations. You should have these along with flight plans, flight rules and many other things.

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
After watching the mission in the chat I was wondering. Why aren't you guys using Teamspeak3 for mission control? You can use my server Ill make you guys a channel and password protect it if you like or there are free ones just google.I would also suggest using something like http://www.livestream.com/ to broadcast by the pilot in realtime. Somebody make a account and share the login info with the pilots. When a mission happens pilot launches livestream.Anything the pilot does will been seen via the livestream link.post the livestream link on the website. Live stream will also catch any Teamspeak comms ;). Obviously a broadband connection will be in order. Here is a example http://omp.dyndns-server.com/stream.php

Nazban

Reaction score
After watching the mission in the chat I was wondering. Why aren't you guys using Teamspeak3 for mission control? You can use my server Ill make you guys a channel and password protect it if you like or there are free ones just google.I would also suggest using something like http://www.livestream.com/ to broadcast by the pilot in realtime. Somebody make a account and share the login info with the pilots. When a mission happens pilot launches livestream.Anything the pilot does will been seen via the livestream link.post the livestream link on the website. Live stream will also catch any Teamspeak comms ;). Obviously a broadband connection will be in order. Here is a example http://omp.dyndns-server.com/stream.php

Dude thanks!:thumbup: I asked earlier about using a live video stram but eric said some guys dont have good enough internet to handle it, but when ill do my missions, ill brodcast it!
Ill ask eric also about teamspeak 3 for mission control!