OHM Vostok v1.1 (for external graphic clients)

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Nikogori, Thanks for the great error report, short and informative!
I've double-checked Vostok, to make sure nothing is missing in the release package. It is all good. In the hindsight, it has to be, as mirror is visible properly in external view. This boils it down to the client.
And then I found it. Even though the latest client version for 2010 is R16_5 (and it is the one that is recommended in the manual) - I found out that I was actually using - in development and in testing - a slightly earlier version, R14. I replaced it with R16_5 in the test folder and immediately got the same result as you - no mirror in the internal view.

So, it looks like something has changed for this feature not between 2010 and 2016, as I thought, but much earlier, between R14 and R16_5. I'll post a question in the client thread - maybe it is possible to track it down, and if the change was accidental or unimportant, it will be possible to bring internal mirors back into newer 2016 clients.

As for 2020 - I guess I'll update the manual in the next Vostok update... but I don't know yet if there is a public link for the R14 client version available. If not, I can upload it to reside next to Vostok, like I do for vcredist. Let me know if you can't find R14 - and I'll do it sooner rather than later.

Thanks for finding this issue, and thanks for flying Vostok!

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
"Only happens on my computer" is much worse if it is developer's computer... and "happens" is what's supposed to happen :).

After discovering the Vzor issue in Orbiter 2016, I already marked my plans to redo reflection with "camera API". But it is a longer task getting into the dev queue - so no ETA at this time...

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
One thing that struck me when watching the video was how heavily the players were struggling with the Vostok's fully historical - but fully Cyrillic - cockpit. I anticipated the language barrier, and trued to address it in the very detailed manual, but I see it is really not enough. So many features and nuances get missed...

So in the next Vostok update I want to deploy one more level of help for English-speaking players:

Trn1.JPG

The stickers will be optional, of course. If you are comfortable with authentic Russian labels - fly on. But I think this extra help can make addon more enjoyable for more people.

At one moment, I've thought of the "easter egg" of stickers getting unstuck and flying away mid-flight one by one... but Was immediately called "sadistic" - so no new easter eggs this time.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
When I tried to fly Vostok 2, I could not realise the meanings of the Яцssiап labels in the cockpit. I would have to learn Яцssiап so that I would not have any problems on flying Vostok 2–6.

Last edited:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Well, manual gives very detailed descriptions of all controls, gauges and systems. But I agree - without at least reading some Russian it may be... just too hard, taking fun away. Should be easier once the new update gets out.

Saying that - good familiarity with the manual is still a must for full experience, with or without labels. Not all operations are controlled from consoles, and some instruments and controls have more than one function, not easy to figure out without reading.

Saying that again - you can limit yourself to just a few most important or interesting systems and leave others intact. But with English labels, I hope, users will be more encouraged to experiment. Because without them, even Scott was hesitant to touch some of the things :)

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I think the English labels are a great idea. I will definitely try both in the new version.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
A few years ago I made an in-game help file for Japanese players. (for Vostok 1.1)

I'm planning to update it for v1.2.
Is there any differences I need to consider besides VZOR?

View attachment 24836
Nice hack! Actually, with new version (even with the current version), everyone will be able to add stickers in any language. But tedious work, I admit :).

As for the other features - no, they are all stable. Only VZOR keeps changing. It is a tricky instrument, so doing it is always one hack or another. It is currently in its 3rd implementation, and it may (or hopefully may not) go through the 4th in future (if current 3rd gets broken by client development).

The next round of updates for all addons (including Vostok) will be mostly internal stuff, bringing looks and behaviours closer to what it was in Orbiter 2010. So that at some point I can fully switch to 2016.

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Nice hack! Actually, with new version (even with the current version), everyone will be able to add stickers in any language. But tedious work, I admit :).

As for the other features - no, they are all stable. Only VZOR keeps changing. It is a tricky instrument, so doing it is always one hack or another. It is currently in its 3rd implementation, and it may (or hopefully may not) go through the 4th in future (if current 3rd gets broken by client development).

The next round of updates for all addons (including Vostok) will be mostly internal stuff, bringing looks and behaviours closer to what it was in Orbiter 2010. So that at some point I can fully switch to 2016.

Thank you. Keep up the good work - Vostok is one of the most popular spacecraft even in Japan!

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
Vostok Static Exhibition.scn crashed while loading in both 2010 and 2016. Other scenarios are OK.
Orbiter.log shows these error messages:

Code:
>>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ERROR: Vostok\_Baser
>>> [Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 252]

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Vostok Static Exhibition.scn crashed while loading in both 2010 and 2016. Other scenarios are OK.
Orbiter.log shows these error messages:

Code:
>>> ERROR: No vessel class configuration file found for:
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> ERROR: Vostok\_Baser
>>> [Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 252]
Thanks for reporting!
Indeed, a small bug in scenario. The fix is easy, you can do int yourself, if you want: the _Baser vessel declaration (the last one in scenario) should be changed to spaceports_Traveller:spaceports\_Baser because it belongs to Spaceports addon, not to Vostok addon. I have a special script processing for such cross-addons scenarios in Collectors addon, but I only now started to add them to all regular addons, and I guess I forgot I have to apply the same script to them as well.
These "ground exhibition" scenarios are just nice to haves - and are good eye-candies - but I find them super-useful in testing. Load just one scenario and verify that no modules, meshes or textures were missed in the packaging. But I guess, this time I verified it only with "big" collectors scenario, that combines vessels from all addons... Oh well, will fix in the next update, whenever it comes.

Turf Flyer

Reaction score
Igel, thank for the amazing Vostok add on. I have learned a lot about how Vostok worked just by reading your manual. The information on Vzor was particularly interesting. I am running Orbiter 2006 on my older machine, and it runs great. I tried running Vostok but it crashes. The manual mentions that Vostok should run with Orbiter 2006. Can you give me any advice? Thanks.

Turf Flyer

Reaction score
I think that I may have found the answer to my own question earlier in the thread. I believe I need to find and install Vostok 1.0 to run with Orbiter 2006. I was trying to rund Vostok 1.1 and that apparently was not compatible.