OHM Vostok v1.1 (for external graphic clients)

CaptBlanc

Reaction score
Hrrm... (I know I'm late to the party, but...)

My USSR Space Program is suffering horrible failure! I'm running 2010+P1 version and ALL my rockets (all scenarios) ... explode on launch! The gantry seems to be failing to release! Is there a key command I am missing?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
To you have attachment manager active ?

CaptBlanc

Reaction score
Ah-HA!
Figured I'd overlooked a module or whatever!

Thanks much, Donamy! That was the problem.

Disabling attachement manager now allows sucessful launch! (I keep that module running as a matter of routine, never figured it would give a conflict.)

YAY! ....NOW, I have the other half of the "Space Race" to play with! ..and ain't she PRETTY?!

:hailprobe:

Attachments

• Sputnik2.jpg
    Sputnik2.jpg
    351.5 KB · Views: 51

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
BTW, posting you question in a couple of different post doesn't give you your answer quicker. Instead, you can create a new thread with the request for a Voskhod add-on.

It was a while ago, but i can remember pretty well that I didn't intend to send the message twice. I don't fully recall what happened, but I was given some kind of error that made me think that the comment hadn't come through, so I sent the same message twice by accident.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
I tried running this addon on Orbiter 2016 and managed to orient it upright (using the FiS Launchpad as a guide)....however, the engines do not fire to ignition and therefore is stuck to the pad....
1.png
The version used is the one that is compatible with D3D9....fortunately it doesn't crash in Cockpit View like most other 2010 addons

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
It would be good if you would be able to attach the Vostok spacecraft in a Soyuz rocket compatible with Orbiter 2016, which will be unrealistic with the launch abort tower.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
I am revamping Vostok - right now !- to get in in line with my other addons (FiS, Soyuz...) This will make it somewhat compatible with Orbiter 2016. This update will also bring some improvements to the other addons - restored aerodynamics, compatibility with 2016 wind modelling... Unfortunately, same 2016 limitations that currently hinder the ground look and feel in 2016, remain. This is somewhat balanced by better orbital views. On a plus side - I was able to restore the true optics in the VZOR landing window in D3D9 on 2010. On a minus side - the very same VZOR still refuses to work in D3D9 on 2016. So in general, 2016 is still hit and miss with these addons...
Cannot promise exactly when the new releases will become public - they are mostly done, but 20/80 rule is always the king in this development, and fall is traditionally the busiest time for my offline life. So, "By Thanksgiving" feels too early, but "By Christmas" may sound realistic.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
It would be good if you would be able to attach the Vostok spacecraft in a Soyuz rocket compatible with Orbiter 2016, which will be unrealistic with the launch abort tower.
You don't have to include LES tower with Soyuz :). After all, Fregat scenarios don't have it. So, for fun, you can continue to experiment with putting Vostok (just like any other payload) on Soyuz. Then, you'll likely need to adjust pitch programs to get reasonable orbit. But I hope my (almost ready) update will be available sooner rather than later.

Gargantua2024

The Desktop Orbinaut
Reaction score
I am revamping Vostok - right now !- to get in in line with my other addons (FiS, Soyuz...) This will make it somewhat compatible with Orbiter 2016. This update will also bring some improvements to the other addons - restored aerodynamics, compatibility with 2016 wind modelling... Unfortunately, same 2016 limitations that currently hinder the ground look and feel in 2016, remain. This is somewhat balanced by better orbital views. On a plus side - I was able to restore the true optics in the VZOR landing window in D3D9 on 2010. On a minus side - the very same VZOR still refuses to work in D3D9 on 2016. So in general, 2016 is still hit and miss with these addons...
Cannot promise exactly when the new releases will become public - they are mostly done, but 20/80 rule is always the king in this development, and fall is traditionally the busiest time for my offline life. So, "By Thanksgiving" feels too early, but "By Christmas" may sound realistic.
Whoa! Tuesday's coming at Baikonur!:ROFLMAO:
Yeah it's kinda sad that the terrain around Baikonur is still roughly drawn, with elevation tiles literally sinking the launchpads....though fortunately the surface tiles around the area exists all this time

https://mirror.orbiter-radio.co.uk/orbiter/assets/packages/Earth/EarthHi_11_21.zip

Still patiently waiting for the day the terrain around Baikonur would be as detailed as Kourou

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Still patiently waiting for the day the terrain around Baikonur would be as detailed as Kourou
Realistically, would have been much easier if D3D9 was supporting "legacy" surface rendering backward-compatible with 2010. There is a corresponding flag in planet's config file, and native client mostly supports it, but DX client just ignores. Baikonur is so flat it does not benefit at all from elevation model anyway. Back then, when 2016 just appeared, I gave it a shot to try to flatten the area, but failed miserably. Too much work to just restore existing functionality, too many resolution levels, and even if done, it won't solve all the problems (for example, "filled-up" flame trench won't be resolved by flattening).

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
With the latest D3D9 you can add a config and flatten any area. If you define multiple areas, you can do the trenches.
A few lines on a text file are enough.
Should check that out! Not sure if resolution of this feature will be enough for complex-shaped trenches, but maybe digging it deeper than needed and covering the rest with meshes will do. Should have time to try it out after Vostok!

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
I finally completed Vostok update for Orbiter 2016 (and for Orbiter 2010). As it is re-implemented with Latest VesselM, it is not a separately published addon anymore, but has joined the family of Spaceports, First in Space, Soyuz, etc. For easier download, and with new OrbitHangar file management features, I regrouped all related zip files under same "blanket" published addon. Two addons, in fact - one for Orbiter 2010, another for 2016, so thee is virtually no risk to mix them up on download.
BTW, other addons in the package also were updated to new versions, though their improvements are mostly internal, not much to speak of.

2016 version still suffers a lot compared to 2010. But now with big Vostok project out of my way, I can try to zero in on true 2016 fixes. I already spent about 20 minutes with the new "flattening" option in the latest D3D9Client , and it is already night and day! I'll likely may be able to append 2016 addon with an flt file that will fix the bases and allow for 3D ground on launches.

Complete switch to 2016 may take a little more time. I have at least 6-7 outstanding issues with it, flattening problem being only one of them - though probably it was the biggest obstacle. Believe me, I am dreaming as much as everyone else to leave 2010 behind. :)

malcontent

Off on a Comet
Reaction score
Thanks so much for updating this. This was one of the add-ons I loved from the get go, and I just got back into Orbiter so to see this updated is great considering it really is a gold standard for what is possible in Orbiter. Always had fun taking manual control and using the vzor, carrying out a defection mission to the US e.g. The aesthetics of the craft are almost flash gordon-esque, and it's amazing how bare-bones of a craft it is. Just a sphere and hang on for your life it's tumbling on reentry... It has given me the most realistic feeling orbiter has ever given me along with NAASP, the bar for entry is much much lower though.

Last edited:

WolfAngriff

The NSEU (Never Satisfied End User)
Reaction score
Hi. This is one of the best news for Orbiter 2016 users. Thank you so much for your efforts, even in fall nights become shorter ! (y)

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
I've put an additional patch file into Orb2016 VesselM Pack addon (that now hosts Vostok, Soyuz, First in Space and other addons). This patch file, Orbiter 2016 Improvements Patch.zip, improves the look of the Baikonur bases, bringing them closer to how they look in Orbiter 2010, while at the same time re-allowing the use of the 3D terrain model. The patch works for all other addons in that pack for Orbiter 2016. Be sure to read the included manual, as it tells which options need to be enabled in Orbiter 2016 and D3D9Client settings for this patch to work.

Enjoy!