OHM Vostok

diogom

Reaction score
Give me 5-10 min.

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

wgyoo9.jpg

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Its that little black line that is untextured...

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Just a bug in the mesh... did not even noticed until looked a few times.

...Maybe it was not a good idea with those easter eggs after all. While on the hunt, you are starting to find things instead that I'd rather not know about :lol:

diogom

Reaction score
Well, in the middle of such a great addon, you shoudn't worry about a little thing like that. :thumbup:
Let's just say the soviets were in such a hurry to launch Gagarin, they forgot to paint it. :lol:

---------- Post added at 02:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Please tell me that these words (or similar, as I'm no expert on Russian cursive):Збесь был Вован ring a bell on the easter-egg on the elevator.

Tedson

Reaction score
One of the best addons I ever tried! Congratulations!!!:hail::salute::thumbup:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
For starters (I think this has not been reported yet) - if you have your Short Wave radio on and with sufficient volume around ten o-clock Moscow Time, you may hear something other than music :).

Ive heard this but i am not sure what it is? I heard the word Gagarin in there.

Also can you list some of the songs used in this addon?

diogom

Reaction score
What you hear is a transmission made by Radio Moscow on the news of Gagarin's flight.
Two of the musics used, are New York (Frank Sinatra); The Motherland Hears, The Motherland Knows (Dmitri Shostakovich)

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
And there is Jailhouse Rock (Elvis Presley)

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
There is already answer to the voice message question, good! Yest, this is the official Radio Moscow broadcast announcing his flight. There are no report of Gagarin actually hearing it - but he had all capabilities on board for it, and so do you.

In Russia, everyone from the older generation knows this broadcast. For the announcer himself (a very famous person in the USSR, official voice of the Kremlin for many decades, with lots of important announcements under his belt) the two most memorable in his whole life were - this one, and the message about the final victory over the Nazi in the WWII.

The second one, the 'Vovan" reference is our "special thank you" to a very knowledgeable and helpful guy who gave us the most detailed and accurate data for this surrealistic gantry.

For the music... I don't even remember all of the songs myself. I tried to come up with the few most representative from all geographical and cultural areas of the planet, trying to find music not necessarily written in the same year (could be much older), but sufficiently popular in that time frame. Cutting the fragment long enough to recognise but hopefully short enough to not to run into any infringement problems. I hope there are no anachronisms, but can't be sure for the more "exotic" parts of the world... It looks like "find this song" is now becoming another quiz fun with the addon :).

As for the "eggs", I think only one is left, and it is not so much of an egg... I'll post about it a little later today, as it takes some more elaborate description...

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Now, 13 April is a perfect date to try some fun with the emergency ejection scenarios. If you already tried one, you probably realized that, with so many huge and unforgiving obstacles around the launch pad, ejecting safely is only half of the deal - you have to land safely as well!

Luckily, the corridor along which the ejection seat flies in the rocket's nominal launch azimuth is actually the safest. In many and many test ejections during development (for the testing, you don't necessarily have to wait for the explosion - you can eject at any time by the Ctrl+A keys) and with all random wind variations, I only had a single misfortune with the spotlights tower.

However, if you start experimenting with different pre-launch rocket orientations, and "shooting" a cosmonaut is other, not-so-friendly directions (hint: you can change the RING parameter for the launchpad in the scenario file for that, to any value between 0 and 1) - parachuting to safety may become more dangerous...

Przemek77

Soyuz pilot
Reaction score
Dear god. this addon is great! I remember old CCCP addons (I don't remember who created it) - Vostok, Voskhod and Soyuz with simple 2D panels - as a fan of manned CCCP space program, i was flying on it... There was a Jekka's Vostok, but it has a problems with guidance algorithm AFAIR and has no VC or/and panels.
My dream is now only a Soyuz program addon (may be early generations) in similar level of advance...
Keep warm Jeżu* :)

*Jeż (PL.) = Igel (ger.)

diogom

Reaction score
My dream is now only a Soyuz program addon (may be early generations) in similar level of advance...
Keep warm Jeżu* :)

*Jeż (PL.) = Igel (ger.)

Well, the bases have been established with the 7k addon, all it needs is some dll's of it's own. I've been trying to learn how to code, but no success :lol:.

Igel, Thorton, the rest of the developers, once more thanks a lot for this addon. It really took Orbiter to a whole new level, and is definitly one of the best addons I've seen. I'm sure Major Gagarin would be proud.

I haven't played the "Shoot the Cosmonaut" game yet, but I'll see how many points I make. Perhaps if I hit the train... :)

Przemek77

Soyuz pilot
Reaction score
Yeah, OctoberSky was my dream, that never comes to true... For years I'm waiting and wainting and waiting for final (or ANY) release. Unfortunatelly AFAIK project is suspended.
Igel's Vostok is marvellous. I love addons with maximum reality level - not only Thrust+Prograde+Retrograde+Jettison... Something like NASSP (Project Apollo), Project Mercury - and f.e. non-orbiter "Shuttle Mission 2007". All swithes operative, all altimeters, pressure meters etc. working like in real, checklists etc.
I'm waiting for Voskhod :] and maybe Soyuz of course... Soyuz is for my opinion best spacecraft ever.

Last edited:

diegorodriguez

Reaction score
Manual orientation and keypad lock

Hello. I have not been successful in unblocking the manual orientation system. I have tried some codes I found in the net, but no success and no indicating sounds either.

I don't want to spoil the secret, but... How can I make sure I am doing things right?

I am preparing a speech at my local astronomy club in Barcelona, Spain, and plan to use this addon as superb educational tool in an interactive way (landing in Spain...!)

Many thanks for any hint.

Last edited:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
It should be 1-2-5. But also remember - the orientation controls have a long delay in reaction compared to the usual Orbiter spacecrafts. I know that some people had unlocked the controls but did not notice it because they did not see immediate reaction from the control keys afterward. Oh, and I guess you have to flip the switch for the manual controls.

Also, if not sure - you can use any other flight, from Vostok-2 to Vostok-6. On those flights, the manual controls are not locked at all (but you still have to flip the switch :))

Hope this helps. Good luck with the demo! Landing in Spain may be challenging, depending on light conditions - you have to have sufficient daylight for the orientation before the burn... And orientation will be over the ocean, which is harder to see in Vzor... Should be doable, but you may flight for some more orbits (or even days?) to wait for proper conditions. Of course, it is also possible to change the launch time for that.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Addition: if you want to land specific Gagarin's Vostok in Spain, you also have to explicitly switch off the automated landing - the first Vostok i programmed to deorbit after the first orbit, and you'll need more orbits to get the orbit plane pass over Spain.

diegorodriguez

Reaction score
I've been able to switch to manual orientation in Titov's, but seems I can't with Gagarin's either if I type 1-2-5 and then switch 'Manual Orientation' up or do it the other way round. The light in the dashboard to announce 'Manual Orientation' keeps off.

Also, for the same reason, I can't switch off PKRS IS RUNNING.

That's why I wanted a method to know if the keycode was right or wrong, just to troubleshoot it. What's the right order to do things?

Many thanks,