Question What are you reading?

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
The Collected Stories Of Arthur C. Clarke

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Finally found a hard-copy of Lost Moon by Jim Lovell and Jeffrey Kluger. . . after spending years off-and-on looking for it.

Half-Priced Books FTW. :)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Neuromancer (1984) by William Gibson, known as the beginning of the cyberpunk genre.

The world is a Bladerunneresque crapsack future, and the characters are all damaged people doing shady things in an environment full of corrupt cops, corrupt corporations, corrupt pretty much everything. It's full of made-up jargon that is hard to understand.

But Gibson's writing is beautiful in a poetic kind of way, and after the difficult adjustment you get drawn into the story and characters.

Last edited:

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
Fatherland by Robert Harris, quite the interesting read considering that it was his first novel, and even after I read several other of his (this particular one is difficult to find), I don't get the "oh, it's from the times when his writing is still a bit lacking", It was excellent through and through like his other novels.

Gumok

Reaction score
Nine billion names of God by Arthur Charles Clark... best short stories a have ever read

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Just finished American Sniper, working on Captured! which is a book written about UFOs and the Whole Betty and Barney Hill stuff.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Finished reading "The Blockade Book" by Granin and Adamovich. This is a non-fiction book based on memories and diaries of people who were in Leningrad during the blockade and famine of 1941/42 winter. It's difficult to read, but is a very thought provoking book.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Tite-Live, Roman History, the 2nd Punic War.

Allan

Reaction score
In the last month I've read the following books by Jack Campbell (military sci-fi)
1) The Lost Fleet: Dauntless
2) The Lost Fleet: Fearless
3) The Lost Fleet: Courageous
4) The Lost Fleet: Relentless

And I'm currently reading: The Lost Fleet: Victorious

For this forum, I would strongly recommend these books...naval/air force style warfare in space, military strategy and manuevering, galaxies traversed....Lots of fun.

I'm also kind of curious, based on responses to questions I posed, to see whether his science/physics/speculation passes muster here. :)

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I've read the entirety of The Lost Fleet series, and am starting on the sequel: The Lost Fleet: Beyond The Frontier. They are great books and take a decent notice of physics!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Currently reading Tobias S. Buckell "Sly Mongoose" ("Chilo" in German), bought it for 3.50 Euro at the local supermarket. Seems to be the final part of the trilogy, pretty nice reading so far. As I can see, the other two novels of the series are considered even better by critics, will try to get my hands on the other books.

Plays in the beginning in floating cities on a Venus-like planet... Orbinauts like get some associations. The "spacesuit and conical heatshield" drop on the planet in the first chapter might also be nothing uncommon for some elder orbinauts. ;)

Next to come is the third installation of the "Albae" series by Markus Heitz. Released last Monday.

Previously, I had read all three parts of "Hiobs Botschaft" ("Hiobs message"), a novel of the "Engel" roleplaying game franchise. Pretty complex story, good to read, transports a lot of the "retro-science-fiction" atmosphere of the roleplaying game.

Marvin42

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I've just read Allan's book: "Shadows live under seashells". Amazing characters and concepts and great story-line. The ending not so good (from the point of Earth's space elevator things start to break apart). It really needs a sequel.

Last edited:

Tychonaut

Underexpanded
Donator
Reaction score
Currently reading Titan by Stephen Baxter. I've just made it to launch day, and it's pretty good so far. Definitely moves along more snappily than Voyage.
Creepy how the novel has Columbia lost on re-entry in about the same year as the real disaster. Not the same as what actually happened, of course, but still a tiny bit unsettling.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I thought "Titan" was kind of depressing (the way and manner in which the politicos dismantle NASA).

I'm still working on Winds of War (almost through it). But at work during lunch I'm reading a political thriller "First Family" by David Baldacci.

Ark

Reaction score
Currently reading Titan by Stephen Baxter. I've just made it to launch day, and it's pretty good so far. Definitely moves along more snappily than Voyage.
Creepy how the novel has Columbia lost on re-entry in about the same year as the real disaster. Not the same as what actually happened, of course, but still a tiny bit unsettling.

One of my favorite books of all time...

Working my way through Scalzi's Old Man's War series.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Now on Michael Collin's Carrying the Fire.