Question What games are you playing?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah.. that's one bad side of the game.

Also all the campaigns are in some kind of alternate reality where there is no nukes. Else you don't expose yourself firing a lot of weapons, you just send a nuclear torpedo somewhere near the enemy fleet and let it do the dirty job...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So I finished all the campaigns of the stock game, the Seawolf was just too good.

So I'm getting into Epic Mod. Lot of work there, indeed. Sailing the nuclear-powered Kirov is something else, that behemoth is a real dreadnought ! (and they didn't model the helicopter). The VLS anti-ship missiles are deadly, that american patrol never knew what hit them.

Capture d’écran (374).png

Capture d’écran (375).png

gamer19

Reaction score
Did anyone tried Reentry - An Orbital Simulator ?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/

Game is very detailed and without a doubt real simulator and looks great but I was keep getting crashes
(even one complete system freezing - didn't see that one for some long time) and I had to uninstall it.
Maybe will try it again later when it will be more finished/stable.
Did anyone had any different experiences perhaps ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

https://store.steampowered.com/app/882140/Reentry__An_Orbital_Simulator/

Game is very detailed and without a doubt real simulator and looks great but I was keep getting crashes
(even one complete system freezing - didn't see that one for some long time) and I had to uninstall it.
Maybe will try it again later when it will be more finished/stable.
Did anyone had any different experiences perhaps ?

I have it, its quite nicely done, but with some annoyances. The most interesting thing for me are sadly the least well implemented Gemini missions. Apollo is done well, but compares rather poorly to NASSP in terms of realism. The only thing slightly better is the UI, which of course does not have the limitations of Orbiter. The MOCR mode is quite interesting, but again that is nothing we couldn't do in Orbiter.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Ouch those violet exhaust "laser flames" hurt a bit my sense of realism...

... but I love the idea of modeling Mission Control in 3D... True nothing impossible in Orbiter, the hardest part would be to animate the controllers a little bit (head scratching, coffee drinking...)

Back to Cold Waters, trying to raid NATO supply lines with the old-fashined Sverdlov CL, 12x 152mm guns really still hurt, the range is quite impressive, even if BVR fighting mean a few hits per 100 shells fired. Found out it gets really nasty under 18 km, at this point you score a hit on pretty much every salvo. The CIWS is very decent (but not perfect, you can see one nice Harpoon hit !) and the armor belt is adequate against 5" guns you typically find on allied ships.

Now it has zero ASuW, only active decoys...

Capture d’écran (377).png

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ouch those violet exhaust "laser flames" hurt a bit my sense of realism...

... but I love the idea of modeling Mission Control in 3D... True nothing impossible in Orbiter, the hardest part would be to animate the controllers a little bit (head scratching, coffee drinking...)

In case of the Apollo era: lots of smoking. Must have smelled like an old pub there.

predattak

Reaction score
So I'm getting into Epic Mod. Lot of work there

Glad to see you are trying it.
I see you are going for the surface ships, that's great and yes .. on some ships they didn't model the helis (i think the Russian aircraft carriers have them) and even on those that have helis.. sadly until now they only implemented them as a weapon, they go where you tell them and drop a torp. that's it. Maybe they will extend the functionality later.
You should try the Russian subs. A good one to try is the Oscar 1 class. A giant deep diving apartment building.. with missiles! Perfect combination.
This bad boy is one of my favorites.
American Carrier Groups will love you.

wrljoOO.png

mHfdUop.png

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Got some - I think - deserved recognition from the CCCP Presidium. Getting seriously into a surface fleet 1984 campaign playing the CGN Kirov, that ship is really something, you can pretty much hold an enemy fleet on your own.

Capture d’écran (378).png

supersonic71

Reaction score
Website
github.com
Started playing Planetside 2. The first 2 hours were very difficult. But after that its been a blast!
I thought with hundreds of players on same server it would have no real gameplay, but the objectives are placed in such a way that its fun even with a lot of people.
Giant maps, giant player count per server. Never played something like this before.

predattak

Reaction score
Ooo yes, good old steel armor.. still going strong. If only it would have bigger maps.
The maps are super small i mean at this point war thunder large maps are much bigger than the biggest map you can have in real time and WT is a boxing ring but with tanks.
It's sad because it's quite a good sim.
Maybe it's an engine limitation .. who knows.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Building large maps in the needed level of detail for a tank fight is quite hard, just look at M1A2 tank platoon II there, which had large enough maps for the action, but looked extremely clean, even compared to a real-world training ground.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes this is the big issue with modern warfare simulation. It is roughly OK on water, if you accept the coasts look quite generic. But on land you need a real great amount of terrain detail and features on a huge scale to make it realistic, because cover, even from radar, is a thing. Very demanding for hardware. Even DCS, nice sim but the maps are awfully small for something faster than a Su-25.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes this is the big issue with modern warfare simulation. It is roughly OK on water, if you accept the coasts look quite generic. But on land you need a real great amount of terrain detail and features on a huge scale to make it realistic, because cover, even from radar, is a thing. Very demanding for hardware. Even DCS, nice sim but the maps are awfully small for something faster than a Su-25.

Of course, a SR-71 in DCS could do at least a nice circle over the whole map before leaving it at Mach 3....

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I have it, its quite nicely done, but with some annoyances. The most interesting thing for me are sadly the least well implemented Gemini missions. Apollo is done well, but compares rather poorly to NASSP in terms of realism. The only thing slightly better is the UI, which of course does not have the limitations of Orbiter. The MOCR mode is quite interesting, but again that is nothing we couldn't do in Orbiter.
Been really enjoying Re-entry, and some recent patches have solved some of the more annoying bugs. It's a neat challenge having to read your orbit variables out of a 5 digit register on the Gemini OBC.... One is quite spoiled in the XR Series craft in Orbiter. I do wish that Earth in Re-entry looked like it does in Orbiter. While I occassionally go to the moon in Orbiter, I generally just stare at the Earth in all of its incredible beauty.
For the more creative side of things, I play SimpleRockets2, since I don't know C++ and it's ship editor combined with Vizzy for guidance software is pretty easy.

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I'm hoping that tech similar to what MSFT has done with MSFS2020 will start to enter the flight sim space more generally. That would go a long way to solving that issue. Sadly, MSFT has a pretty strong anti-weapons stance in MSFS itself. Why they feel the need to be that moralistic about what you do in single player on your own computer is a mystery to me. It's not as if the tweens bludgeoning each other to death in Fortnite would be WORSE off if they abandoned it and learned to fly airplanes instead....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm hoping that tech similar to what MSFT has done with MSFS2020 will start to enter the flight sim space more generally.
The issue here is that that helps you only moderately if you need historical maps...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Been really enjoying Re-entry, and some recent patches have solved some of the more annoying bugs. It's a neat challenge having to read your orbit variables out of a 5 digit register on the Gemini OBC.... One is quite spoiled in the XR Series craft in Orbiter. I do wish that Earth in Re-entry looked like it does in Orbiter. While I occassionally go to the moon in Orbiter, I generally just stare at the Earth in all of its incredible beauty.
For the more creative side of things, I play SimpleRockets2, since I don't know C++ and it's ship editor combined with Vizzy for guidance software is pretty easy.

Yeah, sadly they use the wrong OBC variable codes, which also makes navigation extremely hard. What they intended to be a simplification is actually making life harder, when the manuever data switches from periapsis to apoapsis or back again, instead of properly just showing the single current maneuver and then wait for new data.

And of course, the tape logic is annoying. Modules that should be loaded during launch are loaded on switching, meaning you are flying blind during aborts.

WingC3

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, sadly they use the wrong OBC variable codes, which also makes navigation extremely hard. What they intended to be a simplification is actually making life harder, when the manuever data switches from periapsis to apoapsis or back again, instead of properly just showing the single current maneuver and then wait for new data.

And of course, the tape logic is annoying. Modules that should be loaded during launch are loaded on switching, meaning you are flying blind during aborts.
Haha I guess ignorance, in this case, is bliss for me. I didn't realise they were doing it wrong. Rendezvous maneuvers and Agena burns seem to have worked out for me, but I'm guessing more complex stuff related to failures is probably hard.