Question What is everyone using to orbit somewhere in the Solar system?

richfororbit

Reaction score
So as the question states,

What craft is everyone using?

Anyone authentic stuff? Old historic moon missions, shuttle, or soyuz?

Or proposed missions to the moon such as constellation?

Are most using the Delta glider, or I think it is called XR2?

I won't touch that with a barge pole, the XR2.;)

Space probe Orion?

Mars proposed missions?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Mostly Space Shuttle Ultra right now.... but I also test some new add-ons if they catch my eye. Also the XR2 is a very good add-on, I also have it in my non-SSU installations.

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
I'm using the XR5 to build my Lunar Station... 322 missions complete so far... about another 4200 to go...

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder

richfororbit

Reaction score
Hmm. That will be a bit of a challenge, doesn't the Moon's orbit eventually decay everything orbiting it. I believe so. Due to a weak field, and no atmosphere.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hmm. That will be a bit of a challenge, doesn't the Moon's orbit eventually decay everything orbiting it. I believe so. Due to a weak field, and no atmosphere.

No. The problem is something else, the moon has mass concentrations or mascons, which give it a very uneven gravity field, making it hard to orbit close to it. Also an atmosphere makes things decay, not the lack of it.

But you can always reboost the station and stabilize the orbit - depending on how accurately you want to keep your orbit, you can get away with one reboost every other month.

richfororbit

Reaction score
"Mascons" woah that is a new word, I can't state that I have ever read of that word, or even heard of it.

As for an atmosphere, well the lower the object sure, so would any other Moon in the solar system not decay an object?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"Mascons" woah that is a new word, I can't state that I have ever read of that word, or even heard of it.

As for an atmosphere, well the lower the object sure, so would any other Moon in the solar system not decay an object?

Well, lets say it depends on the moon. Titan has a denser atmosphere as Earth, so you better be careful. Also many other moons have geysers which also give them a very thin atmosphere, that can slow you down a bit.

But most others are pretty harmless. The biggest problem for those is that the gravitation of the planet and the sun cause disturbances to your orbit, that can make you eventually impact on the moon or eject from lunar orbit.

richfororbit

Reaction score
You certainly know the facts of some of the planets. I don't know anything about the planetary bodies, only Europa and the ocean view.

Some radiation on the Moon and Mars, and a few other facts about Mars. Not much of a wide interest for me. The recent Pluto mission was quite nice since that planet had remained in the shadow for quite some time.

New Horizons zooming off somewhere.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So as the question states,

What craft is everyone using?

Anyone authentic stuff? Old historic moon missions, shuttle, or soyuz?

Or proposed missions to the moon such as constellation?

Are most using the Delta glider, or I think it is called XR2?

I won't touch that with a barge pole, the XR2.;)

Space probe Orion?

Mars proposed missions?

95% I use the XR2 and XR5 ... the best spacecraft in the whole simulation. The rest ... either setting up something in the DG to quickly check something out, or testing the other ships y'all use...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Well, put really simply; every object in the universe pulls on every other object, the bigger the object the stronger the pull.

When you get around to mastering IMFD you'll see just how big an influence Jupiter has on your journey. Seriously, if you want to do a direct run to Jupiter in a DG of Shuttle-A, it's a really hard target to miss. (Saturn too for that matter)

To get back to your original question. I typically use Shuttle Fleet/Buran, Wet Workshops, Eridanus, Jason/Eagle, Orion and ACTS. Dragon for supply runs.

(Not the nuclear powered Orion, but the Orion CEV)

Last edited:

richfororbit

Reaction score
So you actually mess about with scenarios in order?

My stuff is fairly basic, there is no real set goal, it is just what the scenario is, so TLI, LOI, and yeah, what I feel for the moment. Used to launch the shuttle into orbit, and that was that. Since i now know how to use the base mfd, I may try a reentry for the Florida runway.

And the odd Apollo 13, that was the first time I had used the lunar mfd.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I imagined you didn't use Orion, it is only probe, with docking capabilities.

Huh? Probe?
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6621"]Constellation Orion CEV[/ame]

No Orion, Crew Exploration Vehicle. Not a probe.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
So you actually mess about with scenarios in order?

My stuff is fairly basic, there is no real set goal, it is just what the scenario is, so TLI, LOI, and yeah, what I feel for the moment. Used to launch the shuttle into orbit, and that was that. Since i now know how to use the base mfd, I may try a reentry for the Florida runway.

And the odd Apollo 13, that was the first time I had used the lunar mfd.

I find an on going save sort of situation is the most fun for me. I have built space stations and done crew rotations and supply runs, put a base on the moon and fly there often to swap crew out and supplies. Put various payloads into LEO and sometimes go and bring them back or perform maintenance. Fun stuff, so much to do in Orbiter.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I use the XR1 for moon missions and the XR5 for Mars and further out I will use the XR5 or the Arrow. XR2 is a good vessel but I find it too flamboyant and ostentatious so I do not use it often.

I do like the DG4 but the XR vessels have better autopilots even though DG4 has more such as autopilot to orbit etc, you have to enter codes for them.

Main gripe I have with the standard DG thou is the 2D pannel is too big and it has grown in Orbiter Beta.