General Question What level of programming knowledge do I have to have to start developing?

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Hi everyone :hello:
So, the title says it all: what level of programming knowledge do I have to have in order to start developing addons for Orbiter?
Just so you know, I know almost nothing at all at programming, I'm only good at modelling. I've started learning C++ recently, but I don't have much time for it.

~Thanks in advance, Oz. :tiphat:

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
As high as possible.

If you're serious about learning C++, start here:
http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

Once you've learned the basics of C++, look through the Orbiter Guide and Orbiter_API.pdf in Orbiter\Orbitersdk\doc

Actually I've tried that tutorial but this one is more appealing to me :tiphat:
And what do you mean by "as high as possible"?
Chapter 17 at my tutorial? (;

~Thanks in advance.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score

~Thanks in advance.

If you think you understand it, review it again and again and again...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So, the title says it all: what level of programming knowledge do I have to have in order to start developing addons for Orbiter?

In order to start, zero. In order to get anything useable done, it'll have to increase after starting... :lol:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have to disagree with RisingFury here. In my opinion, you don't need programming knowledge at all to start developing addons for Orbiter. Take a look at the Wideawake addon... a very popular one, and without a single line of code.

You can always just create some meshes and write a simple config file for them. It may not be fancy, but it is enough for a start.

Later in the development, you can also opt for frameworks like spacecraft3 to use more advanced configurations to fine-tune your addon.

In the end, though, coding a dedicated DLL for your vessel is the most flexible approach. With this, you can do almost everything in Orbiter.

regards,
Face

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

That'll be fine.

~Thanks in advance.

A lot of us have years of programming experience. It comes in handy. But programming for Orbiter is relatively simple, the API is large and comprehensive. After you're done with learning C++, learn the API.

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
That'll be fine.

A lot of us have years of programming experience. It comes in handy. But programming for Orbiter is relatively simple, the API is large and comprehensive. After you're done with learning C++, learn the API.

So I'll take that as a:
'Just learn the entire tutorial and come back here' :p

~Okay, I'll do my best! :)

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
All the way. Or copy and paste.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
What level of programming knowledge do I have to have to start developing?

None. You'll learn while developping ; you'll make errors and understand why you made them. :yes:

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
As high as possible.

None. You'll learn while developping ; you'll make errors and understand why you made them. :yes:

:hmm:
Face and jedidia, only noticed your posts now :lol:
So I can just jump into Orbiter developing with no prerequisitive knowledge and understand on the way?
Because if so, I don't know... I really want to feel comfortable with C++ before I get to some actual programming in Orbiter.

[By the way programming rocks! :headbang: I don't know how I wasn't attracted to it before, but now when I actually fiddle with programming I understand what's so appealing about it! :D]

~Take care, Oz.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That was your question. You did not say "in order to start programming for Orbiter addons". Besides you mentioned this:
Just so you know, I know almost nothing at all at programming, I'm only good at modelling.

So my statement stands: in order to develop addons for Orbiter, you do not have to know anything about programming at all, as countless examples on OHM will show you. Of course it depends on your definition of "addon", but the common notion here is that e.g. a space port with nice building meshes and proper aligned runways is an addon already. Even "just" a skin repaint is an addon, IMHO. Or a mesh made flyable with SC3.

If you are so eager to learn C++, by all means, please do so.

But my advice would be to first learn Orbiter from the approach you already know: modeling. Create a nice mesh for base/vessel/celestial object/whathaveyou... and learn how it is embedded into Orbiter's workflow. You will have immediate results that way, and it is a good starting point for later coding adventures. For animations, beacons, MFDs and whatnot you can already use frameworks like SC3. You just have to edit a configuration file there, no fiddling with pointers ;) .

my :2cents:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Um how exactly is this done?? do you need some kind of software for such?

This might be a good time to direct folks to this link:

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=715

Found, interestingly enough, a couple of lines above this thread.

:lol:

But to get to the OP's question, not a bit. Search Orbit Hanger for Greg Burch's stuff, and you will finds hundreds of megabytes of some of the finest future history spacecraft that have ever been made for Orbiter, and he never knew a lick of code (he used the spacecraft.dll framework to animate his craft).

Another alternative is to team up with a coder. The XR series, for example, has coding/modelling work split up, and look how good those ships are.

But what you do have to have is dedication and time. How much dedication and time? Well, how good do you want to be at it?

:tiphat:

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Well, I really should have mentioned that I develop a vessel.
Now, I don't want to use SC3 because even though it is rather easy, it doesn't give me the flexibility and capability of a .dll based craft: I want my craft to have systems and the like.
Also I do not expect, nor do I want the work to be easy, if I have to learn C++ for that, I will learn C++.
anyway I get to learn a new thing, and as I found yesterday, coding is cool! (;

~Oz

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just so you know, I know almost nothing at all at programming, I'm only good at modelling

As it happens, I'm on the lookout for another modeler for IMS

It's a short project, so it wouldn't tie you up for too long. I could help you a bit with learning the basics of C++ and some practical help in coding your vessel in return (allthough I'm certainly not the best coder around here...).

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
As it happens, I'm on the lookout for another modeler for IMS

It's a short project, so it wouldn't tie you up for too long. I could help you a bit with learning the basics of C++ and some practical help in coding your vessel in return (allthough I'm certainly not the best coder around here...).

I could be your modeller, but I haven't got Blender on my computer right now...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, Blender is easy enough to get. I have scruce onboard currently, but if we want to get this thing done in the set timeframe we'll need one more. Send me a PM if you're interested.

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Well, Blender is easy enough to get. I have scruce onboard currently, but if we want to get this thing done in the set timeframe we'll need one more. Send me a PM if you're interested.

I know, it's just that it's a new computer so I haven't fully managed to settle on it.
I'll contact you when I feel good with installing more stuff on my machine.

~Oz.