What music are you listening to?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would disagree there based on what Music was heard in Germany in that era. Yes, I know, Krautrock really represented us outside... but nearly no German listened to Krautrock at that time. Kraftwerk was new. NDW started VERY creative, but then got also turned into clone hell. Luckily you missed most of it. The only true German international stars of that era had been the Scorpions though. And that is just west Germany. We also had a East.

But... if you look at what hit the charts in German from 1970 to 1989 it looks pretty...well... boring to me by German contributions. Just start looking here:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_der_Nummer-eins-Hits_in_Deutschland_(1970)

Roy Black, Peter Maffey... both sure the best in their genre. But that genre was Schlager. A lot of James Last in the album charts - at least somebody with lasting impact on the world. One of my favourite records as child came out as early as 1973 (Otto 1) ... 1978, when I was born, best selling single of the year: The Smurf Song. Top Album: Saturday Night Fever.

I don't think it was more creative or edgier then, than it is today. You just see a different one. After all, today we have Rammstein to Tokio Hotel as span what the pop world sees of us.

Interesting. I had to look up NDW, though I guessed correctly that it's German New Wave. I think a lot of New Wave got tedious everywhere, really, but we tend to remember the good stuff and filter out the mediocre.

I remember groups like Nina and Peter Schilling, and of course in hard rock/metal Scorpions broke huge in the 80s worldwide. Since the end of the Cold War, though, we to see a slowdown in popular music coming out of Germany these days, and I think that says more about how the industry has changed than it does about Germany per se.

The who stoner/doom/psych metal scene seems pretty strong in the underground in Germany for those of us who follow it, but of course it's called "underground" for a reason: none of our corporate clone radio stations will ever play that stuff, whether it comes from Germany or anywhere else. I personally like it, though I admit a lot of it is derivative 70s revival Sabbath worship, there is some pretty creative and groovy stuff in it.

I guess I am of the impression that the tough times Germany had in the Cold War being the point of contact between the East and West and recovering from WWII brought out some creative stuff, but like you said, it's all based on what filtered out to New Jersey where I grew up.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, also the Gothic music scene is pretty huge here. But again, its nothing that will get popular outside its niche. There are bands at the border around it, that became more popular, like ASP, Deine Lakaien or Subway to Sally, but I doubt you will find any of it in the USA.

Luckily, we have quite a few metal friendly radio stations in Germany. At least on Iron Maiden, they can agree on. :rofl:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Jazz. Freddie Freeloader, Miles Davis (trumpet) ; Wynton Kelly (Piano)

Well you could say "Blues-Jazz", and that would be correct.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The radio in the office is playing "the best song in the world" right now... did NOT see that coming :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The radio in the office is playing "the best song in the world" right now... did NOT see that coming :lol:

The best song in the world or just the tribute to it? :lol:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What some people consider to be the first real progressive rock band, King Crimson, is still performing these days, and they are still amazingly tight. Guitarist Robert Fripp, the only steady member through the decades, runs a tight ship and you can see the look on his face during this performance that he looks like a demanding schoolmaster. I bet anyone who flubs a note will hear about it from him later! Starts off a bit slow but really gets going, some of the best old school prog rock ever:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
They are back again....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IX-xHUYROY"]Knorkator - Sie kommen - YouTube[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What some people consider to be the first real progressive rock band, King Crimson, is still performing these days, and they are still amazingly tight. Guitarist Robert Fripp, the only steady member through the decades, runs a tight ship and you can see the look on his face during this performance that he looks like a demanding schoolmaster. I bet anyone who flubs a note will hear about it from him later! Starts off a bit slow but really gets going, some of the best old school prog rock ever:

Starless - YouTube

Drumming through a 12 minute song in coordination with 2 other drummers with seizable breaks in between... And no trace of notes!

I think one of my biggest weaknesses as a drummer was always that my brain just couldn't remember the exact order of sequences of any song without some notesheets around. This just made my jaw drop...

They are back again....

What on earth happened to them?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Judas Priest Live in 1991 ... right during the Painkiller tour.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
More 80's pop...

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-uvMjx0-zk"]Hop Along - Texas Funeral - YouTube[/ame]

Nikogori

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
orbinautjp.github.io
"悲しくてやりきれない(I Can't Bear How Sad It Is)" by コトリンゴ(Kotoringo)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jBe-uHhlNs"]In This Corner of the World Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Keatah

Reaction score
At this very instant? Temporalia from Alan Parsons Project.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Given a whiskey on the rocks and some dim lighting and I could listen to this girl for hours.

Booze not required.

[ame="http://youtu.be/bo8og3xw-Ys"]i fall in love ANDREA MOTIS -JOAN CHAMORRO QUINTET & SCOTT HAMILTON - YouTube[/ame]