What music are you listening to?

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The most likely thing passing through my ears would be Zappa or Bach (the two greatest composers of all time), with Miles Davis, John McLaughlin, Herbie Hancock, Ravi Shankar or Thelonius Monk being in the second rank. Recently, I've also really been enjoying the more current Amy Mann records -- great music, a great voice and she's an excellent lyricist. But the only kind of music I really don't enjoy is mainstream country music -- I'm pretty sure it causes organic brain damage.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When I visited INL I was seriously perturbed by the size of the country music section in the shops around there.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A little of everything, from Mozart to Metallica, including but not limited to: Boston, Journey, Aerosmith, Bob Seger, Whitesnake, Tom Petty, Guns 'N' Roses, Styx, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, ELO, AC/DC, Daughtry, Weezer, Nirvana, Saigon Kick, Creed, Jimmy Buffett, Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, Savatage, Weird Al, Uncle Kracker, Tesla, and on and on......

Kveldulf

Reaction score
On my playlist right now (in no real order):

Amon Amarth, Blind Guardian, Ensiferum, Einherjer, Eluveitie, Turisas, Tyr, Moonsorrow, Nightwish, Tristania, and Sirenia. Pandora has given me a few other bands that I've liked, but I cant remember them all off the top of my head.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Solas, Bothy Band, Altan, Andy Hunter, Red Shift Mantra, Falling Up, Fireflight, and The High Kings (celtic fans should eviscerate me for that last one).

I can't stand Pink Floyd, partly because I had the misfortune of having to play the music as a laser show at a science center. The younger crowd complained that it was too soft, the older crowd filed complaints against me for having it too loud, it was a no-win scenario and all the while the upper managment was just looking for an excuse to fire me. We offered free ear plugs and cranked it nearly to the legal limit with our imax sound system, but we still couldn't satisfy either group. Either they wanted to be completely deaf by the end of the show or they thought they were going to a classical music concert. I was rejoicing the day we closed the show and shipped all the equipment back.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll have some 3 Doors Down playing momentarily. :)

W35M4N

Unregistered Non-User
Reaction score
Lately a lot of stoner rock/ stoner metal, like Kyuss, Fu Manchu, Queens of the Stone Age (my avatar), Slo Burn, Hermano, and Unida. Though I also listen to Nine Inch Nails, Death From Above 1979, and some more techno stuff like Daft Punk and Aphex Twin on occasion. I have an MP3 of a QotSA performance of "The Bronze" fomr the 2001 Bizzare Festival in Weeze, Germany and its freakin' good. I might put in on youtube sometime.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Speaking of Fu Manchu, I heard a song on a commercial a while back and looked it up, found out it was Fu and bought the CD. Odd that I missed the whole stoner rock thing, although Fu Manchu is so raw it sounds like a high school garage band. No wonder they never went mainstream.

W35M4N

Unregistered Non-User
Reaction score
Speaking of Fu Manchu, I heard a song on a commercial a while back and looked it up, found out it was Fu and bought the CD. Odd that I missed the whole stoner rock thing, although Fu Manchu is so raw it sounds like a high school garage band. No wonder they never went mainstream.

It's funny, I'm the only one who listens to stoner rock that I know (at least in any lage amount) but I don't do any drugs, whereas I know some people who quite enjoy marijuana (keep in mind I'm from Canada :)) I just really like basically all the music in that genre. I only own three CDs, and I don't even really listen to them because they are from bands I don't like as much anymore, I generally buy my music off iTunes not because I prefer it but because it's so much easier to get, I just go there and I can get stuff from my own home, rather than going to the nearest music store. I'd rather I had more CD's though, I am in high school and honestly still live with my parents so they own most of the CDs, my dad has some good ones though (Cream, Jimi Hendrix, ZZ Top etc.).

Bullethead

Reaction score
Website
www.stormeaglestudios.com
Right now, I'm listening to Dr. John. On the same playlist are folks like R.L. Burnside, Omar and the Howlers, Mike Morgan and the Crawl, Hounddog Taylor, Roy Buchanan, Keb' Mo', The Homemand Jamz Blues Band, The Phantom Blues Band, Chris Thomas King, Popa Chubby, Eddie Shaw, Elmore James, Sapphire, Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Terry, Professor Longhair, Taj Mahal, Sean Costello, George Thorogood, Johnny Winter, old ZZ Top, and the 3 Kings (Albert, BB, and Freddie).

My other playlist is stuff like Nazareth, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Slayer, Anthrax, Pantera, Metallica, Goat:censored:, Atomic :censored:wax, and various :censored: :rofl:

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Right now, I'm listening to Dr. John. On the same playlist are folks like R.L. Burnside, Omar and the Howlers, Mike Morgan and the Crawl, Hounddog Taylor, Roy Buchanan, Keb' Mo', The Homemand Jamz Blues Band, The Phantom Blues Band, Chris Thomas King, Popa Chubby, Eddie Shaw, Elmore James, Sapphire, Lightnin' Hopkins, Sonny Terry, Professor Longhair, Taj Mahal, Sean Costello, George Thorogood, Johnny Winter, old ZZ Top, and the 3 Kings (Albert, BB, and Freddie).

Seriously deep blues playlist there. Awesome stuff.

As an old (old, old) Texan, early ZZ Top is woven into my genes, I think. When I hear it, its high school daze again for me ...

steph

Reaction score
John Lee Hooker, Hendrix, The Beatles, Jethro Tull, The Doors, ZZ Top, Porcupine Tree, Yngwie Malmsteen, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, AC/DC, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Genesis, Nightwish, Hammerfall, Stratovarius, Iced Earth and pretty much any kind of rock/heavy metal. Oh, and how could I forget? Queen, Johnny Cash, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd and Deep Purple:p

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Around LEO the music is strong, getting harder around the Moon...
Sonic Youth - most uncouth
Pixies - big bad blast of rocketry
Aphex Twin - genius of noise
The Prodigy - more powerful than a matter/antimatter annihilation drive

Outer system
Bo Diddley & Jimi Hendrix - popular on Mars, apparently. The dust storms give you the blues bad
Mozart - still good after all these centuries. Popular in Jovian system
Curtis Mayfield - gotta have some soul in space. Soul revival big in Uranian system
80s hip-hop - old skool is surprisingly a la mode in Neptunian system and beyond

BTW, I don't like using the in-game mp3, though I appreciate its invention. I prefer to use the stereo and really crank it up.

Last edited:

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
AC/DC, early Metallica, Beatles, Pink Floyd. And Modern talking too :p
Sometimes I'm in strange mood and listen 'Der Ring des Nibelungen' from a random part.
Also, for some reason I like country music. (No titles - Im not expert in it, just listen to whatever stuff I stumble upon).
And of course there is lots of russian music - russian rock, bards, classic soviet era songs :)

But honestly, I don't listen music very often since it distracts me.

orwellkid

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm listening to some full-on psychadelic trance. Awesome.

In playlist:

-> 1200 Micrograms - Magic Numbers
-> Joti Sidhu - Long Long Arms
-> Tegma - In All Ears
-> DJ OrwellKid - Live @ Eclipse 2008

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Everything that fits into Orbiter. When I'm flying historical missions I also often hear music from that time. I'm only listenig to music in Orbiter :lol:.